Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Insomnia or sleep apnea?
What is the difference between sleep apnea and insomnia? Are they same? While browsing, I came to know that the symptoms of both are similar. Actually, I'm confused with both of them. Am I suffering from sleep apnea or insomnia? How do I get to know this? Any suggestions would be appreciable. Thank you in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
They are not the same. Insomnia is caused by something most often. Could be caused by apnea.

True clinically diagnosed insomnia is very rare.

The only way to tell if you have sleep apnea is to take a sleep study of some sort.

Common symptoms of apnea are:
poor sleep, waking up often, frequent urination, daytime fatigue/sleepiness, snoring, gasping, etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi tuckman,
Thank you for sharing these informationSmile
Post Reply Post Reply

This is a layman's definition and is not how it at would be in a dictionary

Insomnia: The inability to fall asleep or stay asleep.

Sleep Apnea: Breathing cessation or reduction in breathing either by airway obstruction or from the absence of brain signals to signal a breath while asleep. This can cause oxygen deprivation.

I hope this may suffice.
Apnea Helpful Tips
Post Reply Post Reply
While the symptoms can be similar the causes are generally different although there is a little overlap with heart and thyroid conditions. 

With insomnia, it's the inability to fall asleep:  the causes are primarily pain, anxiety, depression and neurology. 

With sleep apnea, the causes are primarily mechanical - disruption of breathing. Some neurological issues are included here such as restless legs as it is a disruption of sleep although serious restless legs can cause insomnia in some.
Post Reply Post Reply
Note that insomnia may also include waking in the middle of the night and being unable to return to sleep.

Also consider that biological depression, not caused by any events in one's life, may have some very similar symptoms, as may hypothyroidism, certain autoimmune diseases, and so on.

If would really be a good idea to have a medical provider (doctor, advanced practice nurse, etc.) check you out for some of the more common issues.

If you have a family history of arthritis, or heart disease, or depression, those would be good things to discuss at an appointment.

Please organize your SleeyHead screenshots like this.
I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply

(01-23-2017, 11:18 PM)EssienM Wrote: What is the difference between sleep apnea and insomnia? Are they same? While browsing, I came to know that the symptoms of both are similar. Actually, I'm confused with both of them. Am I suffering from sleep apnea or insomnia? How do I get to know this? Any suggestions would be appreciable. Thank you in advance.

If you want to read an excellent book about both conditions, read the book Sound Sleep, Sound Mind by Barry Krakow MD. He claims that a large percentage of people that his practice has treated for insomnia have been diagnosed with SDB (Sleep Disturbed Breathing)-generally sleep apnea or UARS (Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome).

Here is what Dr. Krakow proposes as a presumptive diagnosis for SDB:

Symptomatic Presumptive Diagnosis for SDB

1. waking from sleep at any time with dry mouth.
2. nocturia
3. waking up in the morning with a headaches
4. Impaired concentration
5. impaired memory
6. difficulty paying attention

Any 4 of these symptoms yields very high rate of SDB
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A lesson about sleep apnea. . . Crimson Nape 6 816 06-06-2017, 03:05 PM
Last Post: FloridaDreaming
  Sleep Apnea and Service Dogs PaulaO2 29 13,554 02-27-2017, 10:41 AM
Last Post: GrammaBear
Wink Apnea is not the only reason I can't sleep! JohnNJ 21 3,393 10-23-2016, 10:21 AM
Last Post: AlanE
Grin Sleep apnea funnies GPSMapNut 200 20,209 07-27-2016, 12:29 PM
Last Post: ger365
  Justice Scalia Had Sleep Apnea surferdude2 11 1,593 04-04-2016, 04:45 PM
Last Post: FrankNichols