Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Inspire?
Inspire?
Has anyone on this forum had the Inspire implant device? If so, how is it going? Anyone else looking at it?

Thanks,
Grady
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Inspire?
Are you looking at it, or are you promoting it? Somehow a device that gives 68% improvement to patients with OSA doesn't inspire my confidence in the device. A device that sends current through my tongue also doesn't excite me either.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2016, 09:32 AM)dunhamg Wrote: Has anyone on this forum had the Inspire implant device? If so, how is it going? Anyone else looking at it?

Thanks,
Grady

Here is a link to a prior discussion on this:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...on-Therapy
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2016, 09:48 AM)GrammaBear Wrote: Are you looking at it, or are you promoting it? Somehow a device that gives 68% improvement to patients with OSA doesn't inspire my confidence in the device. A device that sends current through my tongue also doesn't excite me either.

I was checking into it. Don't have any other connection to it. Just wondering what people here on the board thought of it.

Thanks,
Grady

Post Reply Post Reply
I spoke with a sleep otolaryngologist about it, he only recommends them for older patients that obstruct in the tongue region only. If you have soft palate obstructions as well and/or nasal congestion it's less effective, but you could get Inspire + other surgeries (such as expansion sphincter pharyngoplasty for the soft palate). You can get a drug induced sleep endoscopy done to find out where your obstruction(s) occur. The age part was mostly about young people usually not wanting an implant.

This is the surgeon I spoke to: http://www.sleep-doctor.com/about-dr-kezirian/ He's very helpful if you have questions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dunhamg,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I have read about it, but an implant doesn’t appeal to me. CPAP therapy works well for me, so I’ll just continue being a hosehead.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Inspire is really meant for exactly what you say. The tongue obstruction as well as someone who is not less than in their 40's. I am 56 when mine was done a few months ago. My results were very good. ALso my doctor after the endoscopy told me I was the poster child for this therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Iowa VA is starting to do this so I'm going in next month to be evaluated as see if I would be a good candidate for it.

Grady
Post Reply Post Reply
We really don’t get much feedback from folks either using this or contemplating using an inspire implant, but if you are going to go through the process, please come back and let us know.

If you scroll down to the bottom of this page, you will see similar threads on this subject.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the Inspire device implanted almost 3 years ago and I've basically given up trying to use it. I wake up in the night and have to pause the unit (as designed) to go back to sleep. But when it comes back on, it comes on at therapeutic strength and is like an alarm clock going off in my mouth; it just keeps waking me back up and I always resort back to CPAP. I have repeatedly asked Inspire to modify their code to slowly ramp the stimulation up over several minutes so I will sleep right through the un-pausing but they have so far been unwilling to do so. In fact they have stopped following up with me all together. In my experience it does not work and is not yet ready for prime time. I hope you have a better experience.

Bill Sutton
Canton, Mi
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inspire and CPAP Alternatives and Updates Comfortcomposites 7 927 12-11-2023, 11:03 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Inspire Implant : My Journey Malloc 42 15,051 10-24-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Mobility after Inspire Implant Marv8776 3 970 09-13-2023, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Inspire User rbelcastro 8 1,600 09-06-2023, 09:34 AM
Last Post: upsman
  Inspire Users goofy03744 0 502 05-01-2023, 06:13 PM
Last Post: goofy03744
  Advice from ENT Steven park : Anybody had inspire device or epiglottis surgery? Johnson4 1 1,260 08-01-2022, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anyone try the Inspire treatment? manjojam 2 1,611 06-13-2022, 08:57 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.