Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Inspire Implant : My Journey
RE: Inspire Implant : My Journey
Good morning  Coffee

I haven't posted in many months because I felt as if I was obsessing about my OSA.  I am not going to go into any details about my background in this thread because I have a thread I started that is voluminous. 

The reason I am posting now, is because I did a search for INSPIRE in the forums because my neurologist has recommended I look into it.  (He is also a sleep apnea doctor but he is not the one I see for my sleep apnea).  He was very pro INSPIRE because he said he had many patients that have had fantastic results.  He told me he does not benefit financially from suggesting the procedure and that I should consult with an ENT.

I had considered INSPIRE many years ago because after twenty plus years I still do not tolerate pap therapy well.  The removing my mask situation is really impacting my therapy and there does not seem to be anything more that can be done to correct the situation.  I have not smoked in over four months now and am on thyroid medication.

At the time I considered it I found out that my insurance company would not cover it, they said it was considered experimental.  I think I was also told I was too heavy.  I did a little research on the treatment and I wasn't too sure I wanted such invasive surgery.  In addition, I read how the INSPIRE is supposed to work and I wasn't real excited about it.

When I more recently mentioned it to my sleep doctor, I was told yet again, that my weight would be an issue.  (I am 5' 2" and weigh 218.  I do carry it well if I may say  Shy )

I have read reviews from people that was positive, but the negative reviews scare me.

I really am in a quandary about whether I should pursue the INSPIRE treatment.  I was going to contact my insurance company to find out if the INSPIRE is now covered.  Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
Plmnb, Inspire is primarily used to treat mild to low-moderate sleep apnea where obstruction is mainly in the upper airway from a tongue obstruction. It works by implanting an electronic device in the hypolossal nerve resulting in a contraction of the muscles in the back of the tongue lifting it off the soft palate. While we do not know the origin of your airway resistance and sleep apnea, we know that it is neither mild, nor likely to respond to this stimulation.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So nice to hear from you Sleeprider.

Thank you very much for your honest assessment of this treatment for me.  It is especially comforting because you are so familiar with my situation.  I must say that my neurologist isn't as familiar with my condition/history as is my current sleep doctor.

Carry on!  Thanks
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Starting my journey to better sleep - guidance appreciated StuffyNoseDude 1 81 1 hour ago
Last Post: StuffyNoseDude
  [Pressure] TiredButNotCranky's CPAP journey TiredButNotCranky 6 151 11 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Inspire system JThammer 15 385 04-04-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,626 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 5 1,003 03-19-2024, 03:39 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,418 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  Dr. Steven Park details his UARS journey gainerfull 3 667 12-18-2023, 12:01 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.