Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Inspire Sleep Device
Question 
Inspire Sleep Device
Does anyone have any information, comments or opinions on the Inspire Sleep Device? This is a system that’s implanted under one’s right pectoral muscle and senses when the tongue slips backwards causing an apnea event. The device then shoots a mild jolt of electricity to the nerve that controls the tongue muscle causing it to move back into position.  

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Inspire Sleep Device
Me? I'd have to be pretty bad before I'd consider such a device. I'm no where near needing anything like that.
Post Reply Post Reply
It might stop snoring but little for fighting all Apneas.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
BeepSleep,
Scroll down to bottom of page under "possibly related threads", there you will find other Inspire Threads.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Brick 
After a year of not being able to keep a CPAP/BiPAP on my face at night, and after totaling my car last week by falling asleep at the wheel, I finally had Inspire installed today.

Unfortunately, it won't be activated until the surgery heals, so I can't immediately benefit from it.

I have Sensory Processing Disorder, so many kinds of objects touching my skin cause me distracting discomfort, which occurs at the sub-conscious level.

A CPAP/BiPAP is very uncomfortable, and I have never been able to get a full night's sleep with one on. I always remove it in the middle of the night, and then I finally go to sleep, but then I suffer from severe sleep apnea (AHI 40), which makes me wake up exhausted.

I bought my own CPAP/BiPAP equipment outside of insurance, including on the grey market (Craigslist, etc.), because there's no way I could meet compliance requirements, and I think that the "Rent to own, if you comply" insurance policies are ripoffs.

I have yet to see whether Inspire will help. I don't care about the downsides, since I could have died when I fell asleep at the wheel last week. I have not slept normally for at least 4 years.

For those wondering what Inspire surgery is like, the biggest after-surgery pain is from the stimulating electrode, which goes up the neck to the nerve which opens the airway. Ironically, the pain it produces is almost exactly the same pain, in exactly the same perceived location, that I get after a night of severe sleep apnea. It feels like strep throat.

Before I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, I went to lots of doctors complaining of symptoms consistent with strep throat, criocopharyngeal spasms, GERD, salivary gland disorders, and lymph node disorders, but they were never able to explain the symptoms, and no medications (anti-anxiety, lidocaine gargle, proton-pump inhibitors, chewing gum, etc.) helped.

I spoke to an Inspire representative today, and she said that they are investigating connecting smartphones to the Inspire, such as through Bluetooth or NFC. It will be nice if/when I can control my Inspire with my smartphone, and when I will be able to wirelessly transfer reports of the night's sleep health to my smartphone.
Post Reply Post Reply
This thread by Malloc tracks his experience with getting and using INSPIRE http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...My-Journey
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi. I am an Inspire user. I started a thread about my experience. But, the condensed version is after a week of using it I am very pleased.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2020, 08:13 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: This thread by Malloc tracks his experience with getting and using INSPIRE http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...My-Journey

Beat me to it!

TLDR on my thread is that Inspire has met my expectations completely.

Since my last post there I’ve actually been part of some focus groups with Inspire and met lots of other people with similar positive experiences.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  ResMed 10 Card-to-Cloud: no cellular device NelsonM 20 3,041 03-14-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 974 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Replacement Device and Leaks jtardo 3 365 01-15-2024, 11:04 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Inspire and CPAP Alternatives and Updates Comfortcomposites 7 927 12-11-2023, 11:03 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  New Device Looking for Insite. Jesmitty88 3 405 12-09-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.