Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Inspire Stimulation Therapy
Inspire Stimulation Therapy
Has anyone tried or had experience with or exposure to Inspire Airway Stimulation Therapy? It is supposedly for those who can't use or don't get relief from CPAP. A device is implanted between chest and neck and monitors your breathing. It then mildly stimulates key airway muscles to keep the airway open.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Inspire Stimulation Therapy
I had not heard of it. Just did a little reading about it. I do not think you'll find anyone here who has tried it.
Seems like a last resort device; likely not covered by most insurance.... unless all else has failed.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
looks to me like it doesnt decrease ahi anywhere near as well as cpap. I suppose if you cant use cpap its better than nothing, but 65% reduction in ahi is not good enough unless you were only ~ 10 AHI to begin with. It is also untested on anyone with a BMI > 32.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
It definately has limitations from what I read but the concept seemed promising. In the end there is nothing more therapeutic than xPAP.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2015, 08:25 PM)sonicboom Wrote: It definately has limitations from what I read but the concept seemed promising. In the end there is nothing more therapeutic than xPAP.

except for very possibly the Alaxostent - which is repugnant, but fascinating nevertheless (to me)
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
There have been a few different electrical stimulus solutions floated over the past few years. Most of them involve an invasive procedure and clinical results which do not match the better results achieved with xPAP. If you really can't adapt to xPAP, then maybe this type of procedure might do the trick.

As for the Alaxostent... Thumbs-down-1 Vomit Vomit
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2015, 11:07 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: There have been a few different electrical stimulus solutions floated over the past few years. Most of them involve an invasive procedure and clinical results which do not match the better results achieved with xPAP. If you really can't adapt to xPAP, then maybe this type of procedure might do the trick.

As for the Alaxostent... Thumbs-down-1 Vomit Vomit

Exactly DB. As someone who has not adapted to pap therapy in spite of trying for nearly 4 years, I will definitely be looking at this option depending on the results of my upcoming 8/31 sleep study.

The issue isn't is this a better choice than pap therapy when someone is diagnosed with sleep apnea. I think we all would agree it is isn't except in very unusual cases.

But I think many folks seem to forget that pap therapy doesn't work for a certain percentage of people no matter what they try. So it either comes down to a dental device or surgery since obviously, not having any treatment is usually not an option unless the apnea is very mild. Even then, that could be dicey.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2015, 04:50 PM)sonicboom Wrote: ...A device is implanted between chest and neck and monitors your breathing...

I highly doubt that it "monitors" breathing. The only way to "monitor" airflow in a breathing system is by measuring the back pressure (oh, wait a minute, that is how xPAP works).

So just exactly how would it be able to do that? Just implanting something near the airway regardless of how high-tech is is would have no capability of "monitoring" anything.

I'm sure if I were designing a kick-starter program I would try very hard in the hype, ...er, literature to imply or suggest the illusion of it being able to do that, but ... really? I smell a congressional investigation coming.

The electro-stimulation concept bears looking into, however.
Post Reply Post Reply
Posted on the other forum yesterday on a related note:

thnstudy.com

I hope this is ok and isn't seen as a commercial site. If it is, then google THN Sleep Study and it should be come up.

Signed up for a callback to see if it is worth pursuing. One good point Dr. Park made in his podcast about cpap alternatives is this procedure is good for people with tongue collapse but if there are other issues, it won't be as helpful.

49er
Post Reply Post Reply
This is something I am very interested in! Yes, I use CPAP, but have never really been successful. Because of severe sinus issues, I can only use the Oracle mask. I also have to have the head of my bed raised to 45 degrees in order to use that Oracle. Last night I tried lowering it to 25 degrees and ended up pushing my unit all out...ending up with an AHI of 17.

So tired today I have trouble with balance and dizziness. A PET scan cleared my brain from dementia and Alzheimer's. I honestly believe that issue is be caused of exhaustion!

I am a gadget person and love trying apps on my phone. Well, downloaded Motion24/7 to my old iPhone. It said that I slept deeply in the beginning of the night...HA...not...that was the period I have some of my highest concentration of apnea event. I had over 100 last night. Short duration, but still makes for a lousy night. Will take screen shots of that screen and my Sleepyhead to post. Working backwards today. Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,057 11 hours ago
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 149 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 248 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,258 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,330 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 950 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 26 802 03-22-2024, 12:55 PM
Last Post: jakespeare65

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.