Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Installing Oscar
Installing Oscar
Howdy folks:
I have been using the sleepyhead software for years on Linux.
I just now discovered it has been replaced by Oscar.
First; thank you for making a Debian version available and not just a Ubuntu version.
I use MX Linux and the last time I installed I had to install a version of Ubuntu just to run Sleepyhead on. 
That was bothersome since my previous install was the Debian version.
There was a lack of consistency of versions available.

MX Linux is very popular right now and is based on Debian, so in the future I hope you will keep the Debian version available.

I noticed in the instructions it said to install with sudo.
I do not usually use sudo to install stuff.
In MX and in the former Mepis linux which MX is partially based on, the method of installation would be to download the Deb file and install with the GDebi package installer. So I will try that first. 

I guess I could use sudo, are there any advantages to doing it that way over using GDebi?

I guess I am going to have to think about the method I use to bring my old files over, but I will figure it out.

I don't visit this forum very often.
Thanks again for Oscar.

Regards, 
Duane
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Installing Oscar
Sorry... The deb package make reference to the SUDOUSER which isn't set by the GDebi package. That's why you need to install with sudo.
The installation gets messed up in ways that are hard to recover when you use gDebi.

Maybe someday I'll learn enough about making deb packages to make a standard one.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Installing Oscar
Oh Thanks for the info.
I will use sudo then.

I had installed it in Ubuntu with Gdebi I think but I will use sudo this time on MX.

Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Error while installing OSCAR on Lenovo Chromebook Bodie 15 1,234 10-29-2023, 12:41 PM
Last Post: Bodie
  [split] Help installing OSCAR on Mac The Old Crock 4 590 01-08-2023, 10:45 AM
Last Post: Sabee
Question Installing SQL for EncorePro Dee Nyal 16 3,410 08-07-2022, 12:46 PM
Last Post: KSMike
  Installing latest OSCAR on an old Windows PC Rcgop 8 822 07-17-2022, 09:08 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Installing Oscar v 1.3.0 in a different C drive folder from version Oscar 1.2.0. rumtap 7 1,596 03-15-2022, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Problems installing Encore Pro Chalkie 20 2,851 02-28-2022, 06:06 PM
Last Post: jpearson0525
  Installing OSCAR-copy from desktop to laptop for travel Samultra 3 875 09-22-2020, 10:59 AM
Last Post: Samultra

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.