Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Installing Oscar to new Chromebook
RE: Installing Oscar to new Chromebook
For multiple quotes, click the Multiple Quotes button on each post that you wish to include.  You will notice that the little sign (+ or -) will toggle when you select the button.  When you have chosen all the posts you wish to respond to, select the "Reply with Quote".  Just remember to start your reply after and below each ending quote block "[/quote]". Otherwise, your post will be within the quoted post and may prove difficult to see where the original post ends and your replay begins.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

I think it worked, what I mean is I did as you suggested  and got the black screen.  Maybe I need to go back to a previous post to see what to do next.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great news! Now I'm not sure whether OSCAR installed from out previous efforts or not, but please try clicking once in the black window, and then type

"type OSCAR" and then press enter. The upper and lower case is critical in Linux, so type it exactly like that.

Then post back with what you got. It will just be one line of text so it's probably easier for you to just copy what it said into your reply.

I expect it will say either

"-bash: type: OSCAR: not found"
or
"OSCAR is /usr/bin/OSCAR"

Let me know if it was the first or the second or something else.

No matter what happens, now is the time to hold down the alt key and click on the icon at the right side of the group in the "shelf", the black bar at the bottom of the screen.
A menu will come up, and you should select Pin. This will make it easier to bring up the black screen, which you will have to do every time you want to run Oscar.

If you get the second of the 2 messages, you may as well try and type

"OSCAR" followed by the enter key. and see what happens. If it brings up Oscar, go immediately back to my earlier post to follow the instructions about how to read your SD Card.

If you got the first message, then you need to try going back to the Chrome Files App and try the install again.

Let us know what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
    I am totally screwed up.  I started in before I read your latest post.  I will post a screenshot of where I hit the end of the road.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2020, 09:01 PM)chronic Wrote: I am totally screwed up.  I started in before I read your latest post.  I will post a screenshot of where I hit the end of the road.

Yeah that was naughty of you. It looks like you tried to import CPAP data, but haven't done all the extra steps I listed in my earlier post.

You might try opening the Debug Pane (accessed through the help menu), as I may learn something from what appears there when you post screenshots.

But I think you would have to try harder to totally screw up. Grin

We're really close, just click on cancel in the file dialog and start again. Were tiy trying to import data, or were you telling Oscar where you wanted your data stored?
Post Reply Post Reply
That w.as the place I was trying to let it choose the place to put it and I thought it had, but then it didn't, I began looking for where it should go  and all was lost.  At some point the Oscar page just came onto my screen like a Ghost, I filled out some stuff, decided to put in my sd card, went nowhere.....
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2020, 11:39 PM)chronic Wrote: That w.as the place I was trying to let it choose the place to put it and I thought it had, but then it didn't, I began looking for where it should go  and all was lost.  At some point the Oscar page just came onto my screen like a Ghost, I filled out some stuff, decided to put in my sd card, went nowhere.....

I did anticipate all of this, and described it in my post #10 above.

Next time you bring up the Linux terminal window, DO NOT start OSCAR yet. Follow these instructions, because we have to make Linux
able to see the SD Card.

Put the card from your CPAP machine in the Chromebook slot. It's probably a good idea to set the write protect first, (and remember to unset it again before you put it back in the CPAP, although I will verify for you that it should not be required.

The Chrome OS will put up a small window asking if you want to open the SD Card in the files App or to Open Settings. We do want to Open in the Files App, and we have to do this, because it is part of Google's extra security for Chromebooks that removable devices must be specifically allowed to be "shared with Linux". You only have to do this part once.

So when the files App opens, you will see your SD Card listed towards the bottom of the left half of the app, as SD Card. Again, we want to select this legend "SD Card" by clicking once on the touchpad on "SD Card" and then holding down the alt key while clicking once anywhere on the touchpad (or right clicking if you are using a mouse). We will then see a submenu which has as its 4th and bottom choice "Share with Linux". We will select this choice, and we'll have to confirm it in another popup.

Now the Linux subsystem will be able to see the SD Card with all your CPAP data (although we haven't told Oscar where it is yet).

Now start Oscar, (by typing OSCAR and then pressing enter) and we can accept the language choice (or an alternative). It will then ask where to store it's data, and offer a default choice.

Accept this choice. If you absolutely have to change it, we'll come back and do it later.

Then it will want to know if you want to import any Sleepyhead data, and I think the answer should be no at least for the moment. It's thinking there may be Sleepyhead data on the machine already, and in your case there won't be. If you wanted to import Sleepyhead data from your old machine, it could probably be done, but I haven't tried it yet, and we would have to work out how you would transfer from your old system, and how Linux would see the files.

So after you've declined the Sleepyhead Import, you will be at the Welcome screen, and you will have to create a new profile. I'll assume you know how to do that already. It's a new machine, you can use any name you like, and the name is all that is required in the four boxes of setting up a new profile.

Perhaps by now, you've already made a profile. If so, you don't need to make another, you can just open the one you have.

After that, you'll want to import from your SD Card, which we already have on the Chromebook. You may be used to using the F12 key on the keyboard, but as you can see the Chromebook doesn't have those function keys. The rightmost key above the numbers might work, but I don't think I've tried that yet, so let's just use either the "File" menu of the "CPAP Importer" data button on the welcome page.

When you click on that, you will see a box with a progress bar in it and 2 buttons marked "choose a folder and Cancel. The progress bar runs for 20 seconds and it doesn't matter which button you press, I believe the installation you have will always wait for 20 seconds before it gives you a bigger box in which you can tell it how the Linux subsystem knows the SD card.

So I suggest you just wait out the 20 seconds until the File Dialog Box appears. We know about this bug and it may get fixed by the next release.
I think this 20 second period may be your ghost appearance. Be patient.

When you get that box, unlike windows, there are no C: or D: or any drives with a colon in them.

The SD Card is known to Linux as
Code:
/mnt/chromeos/MyFiles/removable/SD Card

and how we get that into the dialog box is to go to the left panel (titled "Places") and click on "File System" (I can see that in your screenshot)
Then go to the panel slightly to the right titled "Name" and double click on "mnt"
Then in the same panel titled "Name" we double click on "chromeos"
Then in the same panel titled "Name" we double click on "removable"
Then in the same panel titled "Name" we single click on "SD Card", and then we click on the "Open" button in the bottom right of that box.

That should start Oscar importing from the SD Card, and when it is done, you should be able to use Oscar as you did before.
Post Reply Post Reply
Before I start I have a couple of questions.  I have typed some stuff on that Linux black page accidently or on purpose that is not right.  I have typed OSCAR and hit enter also.  So do I need to start completely over or what?  I have had the sd card in this thing a couple different times last night and it actually acted like it was reading it.   It never put any data on anything I could see.  

I have also got to the point where I hit enter on that button Share with Linux, but I don't think I saw any result form that.  To tell you the truth, I don't know enough to even ask a halfway decent question.
Post Reply Post Reply
From my perspective, I'm fairly sure my instructions are correct, but testing them is valuable to me.

And I can tell from some of your replies, that some of the results are good, but some aren't. And because I don't know what you actually did, because I'm not looking over your shoulder, I don't know whether my instructions are wrong, or if you're not following all of them.

I believe we'r really close. Don't lose heart with this, because you're nearly at the point where all the things you have to set up just once the first time are done.

I think it's time I suggested that I phone you and we use this remote assistance thing to get you set up.

What do you think?
Post Reply Post Reply
Every time I try and PM you, I get a message that this site can't be reached.  I am going out to take the dog for a ride.  Will see what I can figure out.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR v1.5.2 Not Working on My Chromebook fixed it 4 75 03-26-2024, 01:37 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Error while installing OSCAR on Lenovo Chromebook Bodie 15 1,234 10-29-2023, 12:41 PM
Last Post: Bodie
  What version of Linux for my Chromebook? bluetangle127 1 432 10-26-2023, 10:54 AM
  [split] Help installing OSCAR on Mac The Old Crock 4 590 01-08-2023, 10:45 AM
Last Post: Sabee
Question Installing SQL for EncorePro Dee Nyal 16 3,410 08-07-2022, 12:46 PM
Last Post: KSMike
  Installing latest OSCAR on an old Windows PC Rcgop 8 822 07-17-2022, 09:08 AM
  Installing Oscar v 1.3.0 in a different C drive folder from version Oscar 1.2.0. rumtap 7 1,596 03-15-2022, 05:51 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.