Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Installing Oscar v 1.3.0 in a different C drive folder from version Oscar 1.2.0.
Installing Oscar v 1.3.0 in a different C drive folder from version Oscar 1.2.0.
I wish to keep Oscar v 1.2.0 and install Oscar 1.3.0 in a different folder on the C-drive. 
I aborted the installation as a browse choice for a different folder was not seen.
My operating system is windows 10 64-bit.  If the current Oscar folder with Oscar 1.2.0 is renamed, say as Oscar 1.2 or another name, would the new installation of Oscar 1.3.0 then install into the default “Oscar” folder and leave the 1.2.0 version unchanged by the install process?  Or is it not possible to have 2 different Oscar versions running on one windows 10 64-bit computer?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Installing Oscar v 1.3.0 in a different C drive folder from version Oscar 1.2.0.
Yes! Just rename the version 1.2's folder to something else, like "OSCAR v1.2", then install version 1.3. After the installation of the newer version, you could always name it "OSCAR v1.3". I do this type of naming convention because of all the development versions and releases I keep for testing. Remember to edit your desktop shortcut to reflect the new folder name.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Installing Oscar v 1.3.0 in a different C drive folder from version Oscar 1.2.0.
Thanks much Crimson!
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a mishap with my Resmed ASV data card.  I wasn’t careful to insert a fresh new card when the original card was almost full and when next downloaded into OSCAR, the card only had one night’s data.  The ASV device probably overwrote the prior data starting at the beginning of the card.
I’m now in the process of installing v 1.3.1 of OSCAR and kept the prior OSCAR v 1.2 by renaming its folder on the C-drive.  The OSCAR data folder is on a separate D-drive used for all my data on this laptop.  The OSCAR data folder for v 1.2 contains the total data for the profile. 

When v 1.3.1 was installed, the message “OSCAR 1.3.1 needs to upgrade its database for Resmed Air Curve 10 ASV.  OSCAR maintains a backup of your devices data card that it uses for this purpose. 
Once you upgrade, you CANNOT use this profile with the previous version anymore.
OSCAR will now exit then (attempt to) launch your computers file manager so you can manually back your profile up."

I backed up the v 1.2 profile folder manually before shutting down OSCAR and proceeding.   I wanted to be able to use both versions of OSCAR.  Does the upgrade to v 1.3.1 preclude from usage of v 1.2 anymore?  I’m also concerned that I don’t have most of my prior data on the data card because of the mishap erasure described above.   I would appreciate advice on how to maintain the ability to download into both OSCAR versions and to make sure all my prior data remains intact.  In the meantime I’ll postpone a restart till the above is clarified.  Thanks again for your help Crimson.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a mishap with my Resmed ASV data card.  I wasn’t careful to insert a fresh new card when the original card was almost full and when next downloaded into OSCAR, the card only had one night’s data.  The ASV device probably overwrote the prior data starting at the beginning of the card.
I’m now in the process of installing v 1.3.1 of OSCAR and kept the prior OSCAR v 1.2 by renaming its folder on the C-drive.  The OSCAR data folder is on a separate D-drive used for all my data on this laptop.  The OSCAR data folder for v 1.2 contains the total data for the profile. 

When v 1.3.1 was installed, the message “OSCAR 1.3.1 needs to upgrade its database for Resmed Air Curve 10 ASV.  OSCAR maintains a backup of your devices data card that it uses for this purpose. 
Once you upgrade, you CANNOT use this profile with the previous version anymore.
OSCAR will now exit then (attempt to) launch your computers file manager so you can manually back your profile up."

I backed up the v 1.2 profile folder manually before shutting down OSCAR and proceeding.   I wanted to be able to use both versions of OSCAR.  Does the upgrade to v 1.3.1 preclude from usage of v 1.2 anymore?  I’m also concerned that I don’t have most of my prior data on the data card because of the mishap erasure described above.   I would appreciate advice on how to maintain the ability to download into both OSCAR versions and to make sure all my prior data remains intact.  In the meantime I’ll postpone a restart till the above is clarified.  Thanks again for your help Crimson.
Post Reply Post Reply
You have at least 2 options for the data file. 1. Have each data directory in different drives, or 2. Use specific folder names, like you did for the program folder, but for the data. Something like OSCAR_Data1.2 and OSCAR_Data1.3. I'm using names that in 6 months from now, will give you a hint as to which version it is attached to. You can rename one and create the other before you start v1.3.1. OSCAR will ask you to create one or where to find the data directory. Just specify it. If you're running Windows and are used to editing the registry, these locations are stored in the OSCAR registry for each version.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Crimson.  I created a 2nd OSCAR v 1.3_Data file already and manually made a backup folder for the v 1.2 contents.  In the second paragraph of my post above is the quoted OSCAR message stating that my profile "CANNOT" be used with the prior version. Does that mean that the prior version 1.2 cannot be used with my profile once the v 1.3 profile is established with the same name?  When I upgraded from Sleepyhead to OSCAR, I was able to download data to each software with the same profile and to compare the results from each software.  Does the quoted OSCAR message mean you cannot do this by downloading data to each OSCAR versions if the profile name is the same in each.  If so, can the v 1.2 profile name be renamed after the v 1.3 is used? Otherwise how can both v 1.2 & v 1.3 softwares be used for sleep data analysis?  Sorry to be a dufus about all this stuff..

My second question has to do with transfer of the v 1.2_Data to v 1.3_Data folder.  Does OSCAR do this automatically when it's reopened after the installation. I chose "no" during the installation as it wasn't clear to me and since my data card does not have all my prior data due to the Resmed ASV erasure accident described in the post above  

The actual quoted message seen after the v 1.3 installation can be read in the second paragraph of my post above.  I found it a bit confusing, so chose "no", since I wanted to make sure I had a back up of v 1.2_Data before proceeding and I also wanted to clarify all first

I hope my questions are clear.  I very much appreciate your assistance Crimson.   Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Each data directory maintains all profiles and program configurations specific to that version number.  By pointing each version to their respective data directory will cause each OSCAR version to read in the profiles and configuration for that version.  It is possible to have totally different profile names, and even different graph layouts, in each data version.  I don't know why you would want to do that, but you can.

I think that the data in the data directory is flagged with a version number and will not allow OSCAR with an earlier version number to access the data.  This is done in case there is a database, or a file modification between versions.  If you copy the 1.2 data into the 1.3 directory and then run O1.3.1 and point to the 1.3 data directory as your storage, OSCAR should update it to the 1.3 version.  

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR not recognising SD card data from BMC alid 5 42 5 minutes ago
Last Post: LoudSnorer
  Newbie Q on using OSCAR for first time Tman1966 1 35 Yesterday, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  OSCAR and DreamStation 2 sallym 11 604 Yesterday, 01:20 AM
Last Post: sallym
Question OK TO IMPORT SLEEP DATA FROM OLD SD CARD INTO OSCAR W/O MESSING UP CURRENT DATA? Plmnb 1 86 Yesterday, 01:07 AM
Last Post: Ibrumley
  Oscar and ResMed Domino96 13 804 03-27-2024, 06:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [split] OSCAR v1.5.2 is Install Problems millerdq 1 62 03-27-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: LoudSnorer
  Cannot run Oscar on Mac Studio w/Sonoma 14.4 Morseman 4 79 03-27-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Morseman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.