Machine: PR Dreamstation DSX500T11
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Dreamwear
Humidifier: Dreamstation
CPAP Pressure: 7-15
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: Contec CMS50i

Sex: Male

RE: Insulin, Inject cold or at room temp?
(07-21-2016 08:39 AM)0rangebear Wrote:  Thanks JM.

I keep my house @ 69 degrees and I still put my insulin in the refrigerator to save $$$, If you keep it @ 80 degrees about 10% of it will be dead in 30 days. (hence the 30 day "expired" rule) You'll read opinions about crystallization and degradation regarding insulin expiration, but the truth is; insulin is alive and it is very sensitive to heat.(shaking it can kill some of it also)

If you are not throwing any insulin away and buying more this is irrelevant. However, many diabetic throw away surplus insulin and buy more every month. You can ask any pharmacist because they all know if you keep you insulin between 36-46 degrees it will remain viable for years.

This is why most insulin have an expiration date on the box that is two years out. Which is based on refrigerated storage. The 30 day rule is based on room temperature air storage.

+1
07-22-2016 06:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
ger365 Offline

Preferred Members

My warden er ah wife uses insulin...She lets it warm up so it doesn't cause so much discomfort...I watch her like a hawk...doctor keeps jacking it up because of a bad day...almost lost her twice because she listened to them...Could this be why I can't sleep at noght !??? ROFL
07-22-2016 06:18 PM
ger365 Offline

Preferred Members

My warden er ah wife uses insulin...She lets it warm up so it doesn't cause so much discomfort...I watch her like a hawk...doctor keeps jacking it up because of a bad day...almost lost her twice because she listened to them...Could this be why I can't sleep at noght !??? ROFL Will keep for over 30 days doing this...
My warden er ah wife uses insulin...She lets it warm up so it doesn't cause so much discomfort...I watch her like a hawk...doctor keeps jacking it up because of a bad day...almost lost her twice because she listened to them...Could this be why I can't sleep at noght !??? ROFL Will keep for over 30 days doing this...fer got is it man made or natural (pig)...
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2016 06:24 PM by ger365.)
07-22-2016 06:22 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

Sex: Female

For what my opinion is worth, before I have to fill the cartridge in my insulin pump, I remove the vial of insulin from the refrigerator and place it on the table for a half hour. It then becomes room temperature (75) and I have less 'air bubbles' in the filling process to contend with. My CDE had advised me that once the vial is open it is good for 30 days at room temperature. However since much of the country is currently having a heat wave and insulin is very expensive, I go with keeping the vials of insulin in the refrigerator.

I also take the extended release version of Metformin (Metformin ER) and when I first started taking it I had a lot of Metformin "moments". Now it works better for me if I take it with a meal.
07-24-2016 12:48 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Your opinion is valued. WOW, tell me about the heat wave. We've been hitting 105 F.
It might be better today (a little). We also have smoke in the air from a wildfire near Santa Clarita.
(My daughter lives near the fire area.)

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
07-24-2016 01:33 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Mosquitobait Online

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 For Her
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

Warming insulin is a comfort thing according to my doc. It doesn't work any different if injected cold or warm. So, if it doesn't bother you, go ahead and use it out of the fridge. Sensitivity, needle size and quantity of insulin all make a difference.

Due to the heat (96 F), I just left my insulin pen at home one day because I had no darn ice cubes to make a cool pack. I just cut way back on the carbs - got to 168. Have ice cubes for next week! Insulin is not supposed to be above 86 F - which is darned easy to do in the summer even when you don't leave your pen in the car.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2016 08:48 PM by Mosquitobait.)
07-24-2016 08:16 PM
archangle Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

How many milliliters of fluid do you inject? It seems to me that injected under the skin, the solution would reach body temperature rather rapidly. Try putting a few drops of cold water in your hand and see how quickly it warms up.

I would think that after a minute or so, cold insulin would be warm and would work the same as if you just waited one minute before injecting warm insulin.

Is cold insulin that uncomfortable? What do you feel?

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
07-25-2016 02:20 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

For me, the largest injection of the day is 0.46 ml of 100U/ml Lantus long acting (basal) insulin.
Then there are the rapid onset, short duration insulin shots that are typically between 0.12 and 0.18 ml of 100U/ml.

Frankly I do not feel the injection.

( A full syringe would be a milliliter.)

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
07-25-2016 05:37 AM
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

(07-24-2016 08:16 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote:  Warming insulin is a comfort thing according to my doc. It doesn't work any different if injected cold or warm. So, if it doesn't bother you, go ahead and use it out of the fridge. Sensitivity, needle size and quantity of insulin all make a difference.

Due to the heat (96 F), I just left my insulin pen at home one day because I had no darn ice cubes to make a cool pack. I just cut way back on the carbs - got to 168. Have ice cubes for next week! Insulin is not supposed to be above 86 F - which is darned easy to do in the summer even when you don't leave your pen in the car.

There is a product on the market that uses cold water to activate the cooling properties and you can place an insulin pen or a vial of insulin in it to keep it cool. I place my insulin pump inside one of these pouches whilst I mow lawn. Since my husband and I have a large lawn to mow and it takes 3-4 hours to complete, having my pump in a cool environment is something that helps keep the insulin from degrading. The cost of one of these pouches (and they come in different sizes) is nominal considering the cost of insulin if you have to replace it.
07-25-2016 09:01 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
0rangebear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSence 10
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Amara View
Humidifier: HumidAire (Built-in)
CPAP Pressure: APAP 12.8-15 EPR 3 (cmH2O)
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ramp off

This is why I have never considered getting the pump. I would be taking in off many times during the day to keep the insulin cold.

The recommendations to keep the "open" insulin between 56 and 86 degrees (room temperature)is based on establishing a reoccurring distribution system that replenishes you insulin supply ever thirty days.

Lower those temperature to 40-70 degrees and you double the life of your insulin. 60 days verses 30

Insulin degrades on a sliding scale. I never let mine get above
72 degrees.

(07-25-2016 09:01 AM)GrammaBear Wrote:  
(07-24-2016 08:16 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote:  Warming insulin is a comfort thing according to my doc. It doesn't work any different if injected cold or warm. So, if it doesn't bother you, go ahead and use it out of the fridge. Sensitivity, needle size and quantity of insulin all make a difference.

There is a product on the market that uses cold water to activate the cooling properties and you can place an insulin pen or a vial of insulin in it to keep it cool. I place my insulin pump inside one of these pouches whilst I mow lawn. Since my husband and I have a large lawn to mow and it takes 3-4 hours to complete, having my pump in a cool environment is something that helps keep the insulin from degrading. The cost of one of these pouches (and they come in different sizes) is nominal considering the cost of insulin if you have to replace it.

2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
07-25-2016 09:22 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Question Reuse of needles w insulin pens justMongo 25 2,471 07-03-2015 08:13 AM
Last Post: DocWils
  Definition of Insulin Dependent justMongo 4 658 12-11-2014 07:16 PM
Last Post: archangle