Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Insulin dosage change
Insulin dosage change
Has anyone experience any long tern insulin dosage changes due to Positive Airway Pressure Therapy?Thinking-about
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Insulin dosage change
Not here, but IIRC stress can effect Insulin levels and CPAP can sure enough change stress levels for the better
Post Reply Post Reply
IIRC Stress? Huhsign
Thinking-about

(04-15-2016, 02:16 PM)PoolQ Wrote: Not here, but IIRC stress can effect Insulin levels and CPAP can sure enough change stress levels for the better

2004-Bon Jovi

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
iirc = if i recall correctly
Post Reply Post Reply
Forum shorthand/acronyms/abbreviations:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...reviations

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I change my insulin dosages all the time depending on a number of factors. Weight change, carb intake, activity/inactivity level, sickness/illness. Have never noted any correlation to CPAP use or pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2016, 10:59 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: I change my insulin dosages all the time depending on a number of factors. Weight change, carb intake, activity/inactivity level, sickness/illness. Have never noted any correlation to CPAP use or pressure.

I agree with OMMOHY. In addition to all the reasons stated above to change insulin doses, I have found that I have to change doses when the seasons change. For example, I require more insulin during the Winter and less insulin during the Summer.

Post Reply Post Reply
I ask because my insulin need and A1C levels have been stable for years. There are minor fluctuations when I break down and eat something that is really good, yet really bad for me like a Boston Cream Chocolate covered donut. (antidepressant) Too-funny

Nevertheless I occasionally get low blood sugar incidents from to too little food after my injection. These typically happen less than once a year, and happen around 4 hours after my injection.

However, I have had three hypoglycemic event in the last month and have cut my dose in 1/2 . The only thing I can identify that has changed is this Therapy.

2004-Bon Jovi

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2016, 09:48 AM)0rangebear Wrote: I ask because my insulin need and A1C levels have been stable for years. There are minor fluctuations when I break down and eat something that is really good, yet really bad for me like a Boston Cream Chocolate covered donut. (antidepressant) Too-funny

Nevertheless I occasionally get low blood sugar incidents from to too little food after my injection. These typically happen less than once a year, and happen around 4 hours after my injection.

However, I have had three hypoglycemic event in the last month and have cut my dose in 1/2 . The only thing I can identify that has changed is this Therapy.

What kind of insulin do you use for your meals? Are you on a 'sliding scale' for your mealtime insulin or do you use a carb/ratio system? Also the weather in your state has been changeable the past month (I have a cousin who lives in CO) and that could account for the hypoglycemic events. Have you mentioned these 'low' events to your Endocrinologist or your Family doctor?

Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn't "expect" it, but a change in insulin usage wouldn't surprise me either.

Apnea causes lots of body changes and ending apnea via CPAP could cause your body to readjust.

You could also be eating differently.

Be very careful to monitor your levels as you adjust to CPAP. You might get a temporary "bounce" in various things as your body readjusts to not being strangled during your sleep. Your insulin needs could come back up from your initial drop.

Also, be careful for what I call "CPAP blindness." That's were you blame everything on CPAP or apnea, and miss unrelated medical conditions. CPAP users and doctors often fall victim to this.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 44 Yesterday, 02:48 PM
Last Post: coffee9724
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,455 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,716 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 319 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 164 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 324 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Pressure max/min clarification and change I made richapple 5 369 01-28-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: richapple

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.