Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Insurance compliance question
RE: Insurance compliance question
(09-05-2012, 02:44 PM)jodiramm Wrote: When i picked up my equipment i had a form i had to sign and it stated that "if by the end of two months, you have used the CPAP at least 70% (equating to 4 hours per night), your insurance will reauthorize the unit for the additional rental period".

This means you will be in compliance if you have used the machine for at least 4 hrs per night (I think all time is counted while machine is delivering pressure, including time when awake), for any 42 nights during the 60 day period. (42 days is 70% of 60 days.)

I think some insurance companies may require 4 hrs and 45 minutes miminum use during a night, for the night to count.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-06-2012, 09:49 AM)jodiramm Wrote: Thank you archangle. What you wrote was very helpful. I appreciate every word.

This has been a very informative thread. My sleep doctor prescribed a fixed pressure, but upon my insistence, he did specify the S9 autoset. My provider first supplied a Resmed CPAP unit but I refused it and insisted on the S9 autoset. They ordered the S9 autoset after I wrote them a $250 check for the price difference. They said that they had reported the unit to Medicare as a CPAP, to keep the Medicare records straight.

Anyway, I've used the S9 autoset for over a month now but they have not asked for the SD data card and they have not contacted me about getting compliance data.

Does anyone have current information on the Medicare requirements for compliance and for granting me final ownership?

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2012, 07:27 PM)Bernie Wrote: [font=Times New Roman][size=medium]
This has been a very informative thread. My sleep doctor prescribed a fixed pressure, but upon my insistence, he did specify the S9 autoset. My provider first supplied a Resmed CPAP unit but I refused it and insisted on the S9 autoset. They ordered the S9 autoset after I wrote them a $250 check for the price difference. They said that they had reported the unit to Medicare as a CPAP, to keep the Medicare records straight.

Anyway, I've used the S9 autoset for over a month now but they have not asked for the SD data card and they have not contacted me about getting compliance data.

Billing you extra for the AutoSet probably violates their contract with Medicare and is probably a federal crime, especially if they billed Medicare for the machine. Usually, APAPs and CPAPs are billed under the same code for insurance, and the DME is required to accept a fixed fee for the machine, no matter which CPAP it is.

It was probably illegal to try to dispense anything other than the AutoSet if the doctor wrote "Dispense as written."

However, they could probably have refused to dispense an AutoSet, unless the prescription specified a pressure range.

Your call as to whether you made an honest deal with them and whether to pursue the issue.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,514 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 242 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 274 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How do YOU report Resmed CPAP data for compliance silverchief2 21 1,448 12-17-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Anyone Ever Had Insurance Cover Nightly Oximeter cmpman1974 35 2,859 12-12-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  Insurance Compliance and Changing My Own Pressure Brennie 3 431 11-27-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Wink CPAP machine and supplies? Insurance or not? Fatheaded 13 1,573 11-26-2023, 05:50 PM
Last Post: RedNailz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.