Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Insurance question
RE: Insurance question
(04-30-2017, 03:10 PM)Redswife Wrote: Hi, 

Thanks to all who replied. I read over my paperwork and it says they will replace or repair machine. No refunds. We were trying to save money but I found out Thursday that I have a deviated septum and need surgery. So we knew that paying cash that nothing would go towards the deductible. Now I need the surgery so we are STILL going to have pay a high deductible. The ENT said that was why I was having so much trouble with the machine cause my nose is always stopped up.You think you are doing right by trying to save money but you cost yourself more in the long run. 

Thanks again
Jodi

Good luck on your surgery.  My sis had surgery for deviated septum and it was successful.  She was one of the few who was able to do without cpap after that (it was not expected).  She was AMAZED how well she could smell after that surgery.  That was back in the 90s.  Not me though - I'll always have a cpap I'm afraid.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

I went to an ENT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Redswife, If I had to do it again I would diffidently get a 2nd opinion. Talk to some people on this forum about using the humidifier.  That helped me with stuffiness. What I'm about to tell took place 15-20yrs ago and was connected to my sleep apnea Dr.at that time. I have had many surgery's over the years, and I've learned if a doctor gets offended because of a 2nd opinion SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT. It is a very painful surgery.
Now back to the other topic I have replied on about insurance company's and DME company's. I just spoke to my insurance company. I wanted to clarify some things my DME has been telling me. 1. is it normal for a DME to give me a mask that parts are missing and saying they have to get approval from my insurance company? No the mask should come in a sealed container with all the parts! My insurance does not have a time frame on when I can get supplies like masks,filters, hoses. This is not true for all insurance company's but is for mine. 2. As long as the DME is in network I do not have to use the one the Dr. says. 3.(this is all insurance company's) I spoke to the head of the medical department as long as you use your machine minimum 4 hr a night and at least 21 day per month. You are complaint. Has nothing to do with the pressures the DME or the Dr. sets in your machine. 4. After getting off the phone with my insurance company, I called my Dr. and requested all of my records. (unfortunately now days this is a must do). Not 2 minutes after hanging up, I get a call from DME saying I can come get any mask I wanted. My insurance company wasted no time correcting them. I have learned most of this from this forum. Set up Sleephead and a Imgur account, post some stat's. Some of the older members will help you set your machine. I would try that way before I would let anyone cut on me.
I had the Resmed AirSense 10 auto before he changed me to the AirCurve 10 vauto. I had to adjust the AirSense pressures and humidifier to help keep the stuffy's away. Once I found that happy spot I had no more issues with being stuffed up. With my Air Curve 10 vauto. I truly believe I was set up to fail, so when I went back to see the Dr. they could get more $$$ from me and my insurance company.
I don't know where you live, but here in the deep South the pollen is very heavy right now. My GP put me on a script that helps me to breath at night.
I would rather try a pill over a knife any day.
"I say, you work eight hours, and you sleep eight hours - be sure they're not the same eight hours."

Post Reply Post Reply
^^seconded. I have a deviated septum, and easily use nasal therapy with nasal pillows (Resmed airfit P10). At this point I would not consider undergoing surgery to correct something that I can live with.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to chime in here. I had a severely deviated septum. Caused chronic sinus infections it was so bad.
Had the surgery done, yes it is not a pleasant thing. Did it help, in my case, yes. But wasn't a complete fix.
If you can breathe through both sides of your nose, I couldn't. I wouldn't do it unless it's really bad.
Pap therapy has been the biggest help for me.
I won't even start on my DME experience to much to type.
But I do wish you luck an hope everything goes smoothly for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Redswife, Look at the bottom of Sleepriders post about setting up Sleephead, Imgur. and how to set up screenshots to give the older members what they need to help you. I am still to new to walk you through it. But the instruction are simple.
"I say, you work eight hours, and you sleep eight hours - be sure they're not the same eight hours."

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2017, 04:27 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: ^^seconded.  I have a deviated septum, and easily use nasal therapy with nasal pillows (Resmed airfit P10).  At this point I would not consider undergoing surgery to correct something that I can live with.

Double ditto - I have a deviated septum and my ENT, who is also my sleep doc, recommends not doing the surgery until you really, really, have to and then get a second opinion as it doesn't always work. I just use a nasal spray before I go to bed at night and don;t have any issues. BTW, I do use an FFM.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
Homerec130, I just noticed you're other comments. Funny Stuff. "But it's a dry heat" I live in the wet heat I guess. I deal with a lot of tourists, in the summer we can have 90-115 temps with 90-100% humidity. And I hear all the time at least it's not dry heat. I'm thinking really? We sweat in a cold shower around here. Gota
like Too-funny Too-funny

Post Reply Post Reply
93 as we speak. The ice is supposed to break on Friday - temp hits 100 for the first time. The problem with the dry heat is you can get dehydrated in a heartbeat. We see a lot of that with folks who go hiking during the summer. Highs will be in the 110 range in June. When monsoons start in July the temps drop a little, but the humidity goes up.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,514 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 242 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 274 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Anyone Ever Had Insurance Cover Nightly Oximeter cmpman1974 35 2,853 12-12-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  Insurance Compliance and Changing My Own Pressure Brennie 3 431 11-27-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Wink CPAP machine and supplies? Insurance or not? Fatheaded 13 1,573 11-26-2023, 05:50 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Question on Sleep Study and Insurance mawaw1992 11 904 10-29-2023, 09:29 AM
Last Post: mawaw1992

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.