Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Insurance won't pay for power cord?
Insurance won't pay for power cord?
My power cord died recently, and my machine is no longer under warranty. The DME agent told me my insurance follows Medicare guidelines. She said neither would pay for a new cord as it is considered to be an accessory. This seems strange since the machine won't function at all without a power cord. However, the agent said in this event the insurance would pay for an entire new CPAP machine. Is this correct? If so, what a horrible waste of money.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Insurance won't pay for power cord?
Chances are it has been over 5-years since your last machine was issued, and the DME would rather sell you a whole unit than to provide a charging cord. The 24 watt resmed charging cords are readily available, and would be worth getting so you can use your current machine as backup, or to simply fix it. If you want to push this, and incur the delays your DME will subject you to, the HCPCS Code for a new power cord is E1399. Insurance will pay for it in accordance with your policy, in order to keep the machine running. A new 90 watt Resmed power cord is under $60 from most online suppliers, and under $40 on Amazon.

Your choice. You can hassle with your DME, or just get a replacement. If your insurance is good, get the new CPAP, but fix your existing machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi CharlotteYork,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I hope you are able to get your machine problem straightened out.
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Which Resmed does CharlotteYork have? Five years ago, some DMEs were still handing out S8 machines which have internal power supplies.
Their cord inexpensive -- like $5 US on Amazon.
[Image: 71%2BXWyHptSL._SX522_.jpg]
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2016, 12:30 PM)CharlotteYork Wrote: My power cord died recently, and my machine is no longer under warranty. The DME agent told me my insurance follows Medicare guidelines. She said neither would pay for a new cord as it is considered to be an accessory. This seems strange since the machine won't function at all without a power cord. However, the agent said in this event the insurance would pay for an entire new CPAP machine. Is this correct? If so, what a horrible waste of money.

If you are speaking about the actual power cord, you can find these on line and are relatively cheap.

If you are speaking about the entire AC Adaptor, these are more expensive and can be found on line.

But my question is, how do you know it is the power cord? Have you asked your DME to test the AC adaptor and the unit? Get your physician to write a prescription for a unit test and your DME should offer the service without charge. Repair options -- including a replacement cord should be covered by insurance. They probably have a number of power cords and AC adapters in the store room that they might sell you over the counter for a few bucks.

As for taking advantage of an opportunity to upgrade, that is between you and your insurance company -- and the DME plays no part except to provide the requested services.

Good luck.

Best of luck.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
The only way to know if insurance will cover the replacement power cord is to call them (include the code listed above). Medicare DOES cover it, but not all insurance companies do. I know Medicare covers it because they replaced my brother's power cord after almost 6 years (out of warranty). A power cord IS NOT AN ACCESSORY! They will not cover repairs for the machine once you have purchased a replacement. In other words, if there are costs to fix the pressures on his old machine (to use as backup), he has to pay out of pocket.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello. I am new here. I've been using my cpap about 1.5 years now and it has definitely improved my sleep. I believe I have the same problem as the original poster in this thread - the power supply has stopped working. This just happened last night. I believe the power supply is the problem because the green indicator light (on the power supply) is not lit.

I am currently working/living in Turkey and was using an ac adaptor that was cheaply made. I believe it caused a short circuit that destroyed the power supply. I just hope it didn't damage the cpap as well.

Any comments or suggestions? Anyone have a similar issue that they can share?
Post Reply Post Reply
There are no components in the AC adapter; it is just a way to connect a US plug into whatever socket they use in Turkey. It's likley the power "brick" -- as you say the indicator light is off.

I keep a spare power brick because they are often a weak link in the system.

It would be nice if you had a source where you could borrow a power brick to test things.
I doubt the CPAP unit was damaged.

You'll have to find a source for a new power brick. I have no idea how long it might take to get one in Turkey.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks very much for taking the time to reply and also for your reassurance.

Fortunately my wife is coming to visit this Friday and she'll be bringing another 'brick'. I'm praying that this simple fix will solve the problem. Otherwise I'll have to see about buying a new cpap and everything in Turkey takes longer than the States.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed power supply is a pretty complicated piece that provides a low voltage electric signal to the center pin so that the machine recognizes the power adapter as a Resmed unit, not a substitute. It is possible this complexity would cause failures that cause the machine to shutdown if that current is not correct, even if the adapter is still functional. Use a good connector with surge suppressor. it is a pretty valueable piece of equipment and worth protecting.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,793 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,529 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 275 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 229 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,428 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  Anyone Ever Had Insurance Cover Nightly Oximeter cmpman1974 35 2,872 12-12-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.