Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Keep sleep-study autopap?
Keep sleep-study autopap?
I finally got set up for a home sleep study from my HMO today, to check my pressure which hasn't been changed in a few years. I was told that I would be billed $500 if I didn't return the autopap machine they gave me to use at home for three nights.

Since this is actually quite a reasonable price, can anyone give me a good reason not to claim to have somehow lost the autopap, pay the 500 bucks, and never set foot in the office, or pay a sleep-related copay, again?

BTW, don't bother with ethical concerns. You wouldn't after dealing with this organization. . . trust me.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Keep sleep-study autopap?
Actually, $500 is expensive for a used machine. I don't see an ethical problem with keeping the loaner and paying the fee, but it's not a good deal by any means. You will want to check the machine hours in the clinical menu to decide if it's worthwhile. Be aware that therapy hours and blower hours can be reset back to zero, but machine hours cannot. Who knows how many other people have used it.

To get into the clinical menu, turn the knob to setup, and then hold down both buttons for 5 seconds until the machine beeps. Then, select info, and the machine hours will be near the bottom of the menu.

Edit: Even if the machine hours seem reasonable, keep in mind that it may have been shipped through FedEx or UPS twice for every 8 machine hours (approximately). (Don't know if you picked it up from their office or they shipped it to you.)
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with big_dave. Check with Supplier 2 before you decide. See what they have comparable. Call and ask about machine hours and that you want one with as little as possible. They try to accommodate requests.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
You might want to look at prices for other lightly used machines, at Supplier #2, using the "supplier list" at the top of the page (4th line down). I've never dealth with them, but I was looking around on their site when I was contemplating a travel machine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 234 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 146 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 64 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.