Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Interesting Pro Publica Article
Interesting Pro Publica Article
Has anyone seen this?  All I can say is ... I'm glad I am privileged enough to afford to pay for my own equipment and not have to deal with my insurance company and I'm glad I found this board so that I don't need to deal with my insurance company to get the benefits of CPAP therapy.

American health insurers are using a popular sleep aid to spy on their customers. Why?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Interesting Pro Publica Article
Your wearable tech and smart phone do the same thing.  If you have such devices, they are providing their makers with a treasure trove of free data that is used to hone AI to figure out ways to encourage you to part with more cash.

T'was ever thus. 

If you have some spare time, go to 'cbc/under the influence' and listen to the podcasts produced by the wonderful Terry O'Rielly.  You will experience a highly entertaining and instructive series of lessons, with many well-known examples of companies that use them, on how products are marketed to consumers.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2018, 02:02 PM)ShoshTrvls Wrote: Has anyone seen this?

Yes.  Smile  Recent threads here about the same article:

Sleep industry practices in the news

and

Is your CPAP spying on you?

(11-28-2018, 02:02 PM)ShoshTrvls Wrote: I'm glad I am privileged enough to afford to pay for my own equipment and not have to deal with my insurance company and I'm glad I found this board so that I don't need to deal with my insurance company to get the benefits of CPAP therapy.

Hallelujah to that. However, it's usually not as bad as it might seem at first glance, because during the compliance period only your summary data are sent to the DME, and after the compliance period you can disable or remove the modem, depending on the machine. Anyone who objects to the data reporting during the compliance period might be able to negotiate with the DME to accept data on SD card instead, as the patient in the article did.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found it disturbing that the guy potentially can't get a new mask because he's non-compliant, but he's non-compliant because of problems with his mask. How long until we get black market compliance machines that breath for you through the night Thinking-about Rolleyes Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2018, 03:30 PM)BeepBeepNoSleep Wrote: I found it disturbing that the guy potentially can't get a new mask because he's non-compliant, but he's non-compliant because of problems with his mask. How long until we get black market compliance machines that breath for you through the night Thinking-about Rolleyes Big Grin

Ha! You know, it has been suggested, and I think this is a good idea, that anyone who is in danger of becoming formally non-compliant but who wants to continue using the machine should switch the machine on in the evening, hours before bedtime, and wear the mask while doing everyday non-active things like using the computer, reading, watching TV, etc. That's a good way to get accustomed to the mask, and it logs that many breathing hours on the machine.

But if the mask is intolerable, then the patient should use a different one. If his DME is obstructive about it, as DMEs seem to be in general, then he should raise hell.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2018, 02:55 PM)Fats Drywaller Wrote:
(11-28-2018, 02:02 PM)ShoshTrvls Wrote: Has anyone seen this?

Yes.  Smile  Recent threads here about the same article:

Sleep industry practices in the news

and

Is your CPAP spying on you?

Apologies for the re-post.  The article I posted was dated 11/25, so I didn't look back any further on the board, but from your links it looks like a version of it was originally published on 11/21.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2018, 03:55 PM)ShoshTrvls Wrote: Apologies for the re-post.  The article I posted was dated 11/25, so I didn't look back any further on the board, but from your links it looks like a version of it was originally published on 11/21.

BTW, as I said in one of those other threads, if you use an S9, any spying is obvious because the plug-in modem module is obvious. The A10 is more sneaky about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have an S9 purchased without the knowledge of any insurance company and with no modem.  I'm good.  :-)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An interesting-ish video about mouth taping PaulaO2 0 381 01-08-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Recent article: 3 Ways to Stop Waking Up Frequently During the Night Lucid 0 532 02-04-2023, 09:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  NYT Article on Mouth Taping -- Scam or Not? Lucid 11 3,102 11-19-2022, 09:30 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Pressure Relief Features (JCSM article) DaveCar 13 1,143 09-07-2022, 09:10 AM
Last Post: SleepyHenry2
  CPAP in Airplanes article LindanHotAir 3 859 11-18-2021, 04:38 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  Interesting mask fit news from Phillips Gooserider 5 1,339 05-24-2020, 03:55 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Interesting situation (financial) Broomstick 7 1,283 01-31-2020, 12:06 AM
Last Post: farnsy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.