Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Interesting breathing pattern
Interesting breathing pattern
So I am away from home again and can't sleep. I had uploaded the week's data earlier and decided to view it to see how I did with couch sleeping again. I saw a cluster of events on the 3rd (I was in a hotel in VA that night) and zoomed in. That's when I found this:

Two things are odd. One, I've not had that pattern before. That's either periodic breathing or Cheyne-Stokes. Or nothing at all. Two, the events were quite long. The shortest was 12 seconds, most of them fell into the 17-20 sec range, but one was 29 seconds. I rarely have an OA that long.

I continued forward and found another cluster of events on the 5th with similar pattern.

This time they weren't OA events but hypopneas. The length of them weren't as long (12-22 seconds), but there were patterns without events this time.

So what the heck is going on? I know two nights of a few minutes of weird patterns is not a trend. Just wondering if I should keep looking for these things and/or go back into the past few weeks or so and see if there are more. I have access to my home computer and can use its SH from here.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Interesting breathing pattern
The most interesting part is the flow pattern continues in graph #2; yet no apnea is being scored.
It doesn't have the rise fall pattern of C-S.
The machine is ramping up pressure which would normally prevent OSA.
I'm stumped... Aliens?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the "triangle" vs. sine wave envelope of the wave form is important.

You start breathing deeply after the event and then slowly drift down to a lower tidal volume. That makes me think RERA or something else obstructive in nature.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's the tidal volume and others for both nights.

The 3rd

The 5th
[attachment=1270]
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2015, 12:49 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: So I am away from home again and can't sleep. I had uploaded the week's data earlier and decided to view it to see how I did with couch sleeping again. I saw a cluster of events on the 3rd (I was in a hotel in VA that night) and zoomed in. That's when I found this:

Two things are odd. One, I've not had that pattern before. That's either periodic breathing or Cheyne-Stokes. Or nothing at all. Two, the events were quite long. The shortest was 12 seconds, most of them fell into the 17-20 sec range, but one was 29 seconds. I rarely have an OA that long.

I continued forward and found another cluster of events on the 5th with similar pattern.

This time they weren't OA events but hypopneas. The length of them weren't as long (12-22 seconds), but there were patterns without events this time.

So what the heck is going on? I know two nights of a few minutes of weird patterns is not a trend. Just wondering if I should keep looking for these things and/or go back into the past few weeks or so and see if there are more. I have access to my home computer and can use its SH from here.

Maybe your dreams are taking your breath away?, does seem odd.
Keep us posted on this one, being new to this I'm interested on what goes on.
Thanks for posting this.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Well it is a little hard to get a bead on this, but the flow limitation on the 5th sure seems to coincide with each of the breathing slowdowns, like fledgling hypopneas. nothing I see really strikes me as being related to sleep state.

On the 3rd, there is not that clear a connection, as there are less flow limitations.

maybe a small dust storm rolled through, tom cat hopped on your gear?

we don't know what position had to do with it.

But, none of what I see would make me think your desaturations were severe.

Roll on.

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Paula that looks obstructive in nature to me. There isnt the ebb rise flow of CS. And usually a CS will end with a CA not an obstructive which yours isnt doing.

Looks like something is simply restricting your airway down to and obstructive the machine is responding but it isnt holding it open. Couldnt guess at the cause. When I get a narrowing of down of flow like that for as much as 10 min at a time with no flags just the machine pushing the pressure up to try to get a better flow wave,because mine doesnt end in OA usually , its usually due to tissue swelling in my nostrils. The machine cant produce enough pressure to force it open until it just goes down on its own or I snort or blow in my sleep and the wave form opens up.

I have some nasal polyps that I blame for the swelling if they get irritated for some reason,

My best guess. Far for an answer to your question though.

Doenst happen often.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've never seen this pattern before. Usually clusters of OA events are messy for me, not this pretty or organized looking. That's what made me blink the most. I looked back at the last time I was up here, sleeping on my bro's couch. No similar patterns that lasted this long. The longest was about 2 minutes and had the neat, triangle things going.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,128 6 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 149 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 513 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Oscar Data. No events flagged but weird flow rate pattern during REM Ynot 53 2,663 02-18-2024, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Ynot
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 385 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 221 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.