Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Interesting information - Flow Limitation & Snoring Study
Interesting information - Flow Limitation & Snoring Study
Not to take anything away from our "official" scrounger of cool articles, but I was going over my data this morning and this Flow Limitation number just keeps rising. I also notice a high incidence of snoring. Since I had no real idea what Flow Limitation really is, I started up Google and begin searching. I found a lot of junk (as always) then I started hitting the technical articles and finally found a very interesting study. I know we are not supposed to post links to commercial sites, and I don't believe this is a commercial site, but to be on the safe side I thought I would post it in this forum where it has a more limited readership in case I break the rules on accident. I found a great article regarding a study done here:
http://chestjournal.chestpubs.org/conten...5.full.pdf
and I used that information to look at my numbers again comparing pressures to Flow Restriction, etc. I had originally set my machine up for 10-16.5cmH2O, but after looking at the numbers, with one exception every flow restriction occurred when it dropped under 12cmH2O. My old CPAP was set to 12 cmH2O so I am thinking about bumping up that bottom number to maybe like 11 and see if I get any improvement. My RERA is pretty high and I think if I can get more of these nubers besides just OSA events under tighter control, that RERA number will come down somewhat and my overall sleep will improve.
Thoughts? Ideas? Concerns? Thinking-about
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Interesting information
I moved the thread to the Main Forum, MJ... Chest Journal is primarily a news site and it's directly related to sleep apnea, so I'd say it's okay.

I also added to the thread title to give a bit more descriptive info.

Smile
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Interesting information - Flow Limitation & Snoring Study
Thanks
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
MJ,

The link to chestpubs no longer works. Can you update it?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2012, 09:33 AM)mjbearit Wrote: and I used that information to look at my numbers again comparing pressures to Flow Restriction, etc. I had originally set my machine up for 10-16.5cmH2O, but after looking at the numbers, with one exception every flow restriction occurred when it dropped under 12cmH2O. My old CPAP was set to 12 cmH2O so I am thinking about bumping up that bottom number to maybe like 11 and see if I get any improvement. My RERA is pretty high and I think if I can get more of these nubers besides just OSA events under tighter control, that RERA number will come down somewhat and my overall sleep will improve.
Thoughts? Ideas? Concerns? Thinking-about

I have exactly the same thing.

My AHI was very low (below 1) but I still had a ton of snoring and flow limitations and my respironics 560p didn't seem very concerned about either and never did anything to prevent them.

Eventually I decided to start raising the lower pressure limit and when I hit 16, all the flow limitations and nearly all the snoring vanished, I started sleeping through the entire night and all was right with the world.

For an intelligent, fully "auto" machine, it's not especially bright, or they made some bad design decisions.

Terry

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-05-2014, 05:23 AM)Tampabaysailor Wrote: The link to chestpubs no longer works. Can you update it?

A little google-fu has brought it back from the dead. 8-)

http://journal.publications.chestnet.org...28/685.pdf

Post Reply Post Reply
I have the PR series 60 auto aflex set on 6 and 15. The machine is plenty smart but the person who set the pressures at the sleep lab wasnt so much. Every 30 hours the machine will calculate where its running most of the time where no events or snores FLs etc are happening and reset itself to start at that pressure. For me it figured out a 8.5 mean pressure where nothing much happens and it only has to bump up a little to level things if something does.

The trouble is set with a min of 6 if nothing is going on the machine will begin to lower pressure to get back to where it was set by the tech to start at which is 6. Normally around 7 things start to go kaput with a snore here FL there then and OA as the machine works its way back up in response to the events.

On my own I would set the pressure to 8 and that would be the bottom limit with 15 max just in case. But Im still on the 30 60 90 day medicare dance so while ive called to get my sleep doc to tell the DME to reset it, it takes while to get that done Docs being how they are about getting to anything in less than a week. My AHI is good so Im content at the moment to play the game and not tick off the Doc by setting it myself until im past the 90 day mark.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hear ya Ghost guy, and understand your reasoning. However medicare and most Docs only care about how many hours did you use the machine, not what your pressures or ahi or anything else is. So while I understand the tendency to work with the sleep techs, if it comes to a point where your health or your therapy is compromised because of their recalcitrance then it's time to take matters (or cute little machine dials) in your own hands.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 15 726 Yesterday, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Relationship between EPR and Flow Limitations earnerd 11 372 Yesterday, 11:51 AM
Last Post: earnerd
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 5 167 04-16-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 0 75 04-16-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 296 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Is This Flow Limitation Cause for Concern? bertchintus 4 269 04-15-2024, 08:27 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 189 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.