Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Interesting..
RE: Interesting..
(12-21-2015, 10:32 PM)GTOdude Wrote:
(12-21-2015, 08:51 PM)Jim Bronson Wrote: You don't mention what dose of Ambien you're taking. It is effective in initiating sleep for about a week. After that, it is mostly a placebo effect. It is only prescribed for short-term insomnia, although I've read elsewhere that some people have been taking it for years, and they say it works great. I think they're deluding themselves, as the pharmacology does not support long term efficacy. I finally tapered off it using a schedule I found on this forum. It was a very slooooow process, but it worked. I no longer take it. If I find I can't get to sleep, I take 0.25mg of Xanax (the lowest prescribed dose). Like Ambien, most patients develop a tolerance to Xanax over a relatively short period.
Jim, A few years ago, my dr put me on .25mg Xanax for sleep. I got hooked on them right quick. Took me a while to get off. I wont touch a benzo with a 10 ft pole. I have some Ativans but am loathe to use one. I take mostly half a 10mg tab of Ambien. Have had to use the other half only twice.

I have a sneaking suspicion my adrenals are all fatigued cuz of the rushes I get when im trying to fall asleep. Ive been reading about that. Plus my sleep Dr diagnosed me hypothyroid (even tho my labs were "in limits"). Ive been on Armour now about 5 or 6 days and it takes a while for effect. Im gonna try and see my GP tomorrow and get my adrenals/cortisol checked. If I can ditch the rushes, I wont need the Ambien!

Mark
My Ambien dependence was purely psychological. I simply HAD to take it or I just knew I wouldn't get to sleep. Once I convinced myself that I could indeed get to sleep without it, the feeling was very liberating. I've heard bad things about benzos too, and I wish there was a better alternative that could be taken long-term. I also have taken it occasionally for social anxiety, and it works pretty well for that. Next time I see my sleep doc, I'll ask him if there's anything besides benzos that work the same way for sleep without the nasty side effects.

I don't need Xanax for CPAP anxiety anymore. I've grown very comfortable with the machine and the nasal mask I use. I take Xanax occasionally at bedtime to slow my brain down so I'm not overwhelmed thinking about everyday life issues. Once you settle on the pressure and find a mask that works, you will very likely have no further CPAP anxiety either. It will become just another part of your nighttime routine. Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Interesting..
(12-21-2015, 11:35 PM)Jim Bronson Wrote:
(12-21-2015, 10:32 PM)GTOdude Wrote:
(12-21-2015, 08:51 PM)Jim Bronson Wrote: You don't mention what dose of Ambien you're taking. It is effective in initiating sleep for about a week. After that, it is mostly a placebo effect. It is only prescribed for short-term insomnia, although I've read elsewhere that some people have been taking it for years, and they say it works great. I think they're deluding themselves, as the pharmacology does not support long term efficacy. I finally tapered off it using a schedule I found on this forum. It was a very slooooow process, but it worked. I no longer take it. If I find I can't get to sleep, I take 0.25mg of Xanax (the lowest prescribed dose). Like Ambien, most patients develop a tolerance to Xanax over a relatively short period.
Jim, A few years ago, my dr put me on .25mg Xanax for sleep. I got hooked on them right quick. Took me a while to get off. I wont touch a benzo with a 10 ft pole. I have some Ativans but am loathe to use one. I take mostly half a 10mg tab of Ambien. Have had to use the other half only twice.

I have a sneaking suspicion my adrenals are all fatigued cuz of the rushes I get when im trying to fall asleep. Ive been reading about that. Plus my sleep Dr diagnosed me hypothyroid (even tho my labs were "in limits"). Ive been on Armour now about 5 or 6 days and it takes a while for effect. Im gonna try and see my GP tomorrow and get my adrenals/cortisol checked. If I can ditch the rushes, I wont need the Ambien!

Mark
My Ambien dependence was purely psychological. I simply HAD to take it or I just knew I wouldn't get to sleep. Once I convinced myself that I could indeed get to sleep without it, the feeling was very liberating. I've heard bad things about benzos too, and I wish there was a better alternative that could be taken long-term. I also have taken it occasionally for social anxiety, and it works pretty well for that. Next time I see my sleep doc, I'll ask him if there's anything besides benzos that work the same way for sleep without the nasty side effects.

I don't need Xanax for CPAP anxiety anymore. I've grown very comfortable with the machine and the nasal mask I use. I take Xanax occasionally at bedtime to slow my brain down so I'm not overwhelmed thinking about everyday life issues. Once you settle on the pressure and find a mask that works, you will very likely have no further CPAP anxiety either. It will become just another part of your nighttime routine. Good luck.
Thanks, Jim. Im very looking forward to that day. I upped my low pressure to 7 last night and that was immensely better than 6. So thats a help. I did lay there for about an hour and had a few rushes and couldnt sleep so took 1.2 an Ambien again. My AHI this AM qas over five. I dont have a prob with the machine anymore in itself. I have a prob with falling asleep and my breathing is kinda erratic. gives me lousy readings on SH. I tape my mouth shut so I can use nasal mask till I train myself not to mouth breath any.

Yes. this is a battle hopefully to win.

Mark

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An interesting-ish video about mouth taping PaulaO2 0 381 01-08-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Interesting mask fit news from Phillips Gooserider 5 1,333 05-24-2020, 03:55 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Interesting situation (financial) Broomstick 7 1,282 01-31-2020, 12:06 AM
Last Post: farnsy
  New machine interesting problem britincanada 2 1,242 05-13-2019, 09:09 PM
Last Post: ajack
  Interesting DME Experience sansnap 11 2,372 01-21-2019, 02:22 AM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Interesting Pro Publica Article ShoshTrvls 7 1,508 11-28-2018, 04:05 PM
Last Post: ShoshTrvls
  [Pressure] Pressure increase after interesting flow rates MisterM 1 1,169 03-17-2018, 06:57 AM
Last Post: Walla Walla

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.