Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Interesting..
Interesting..
I know ive been making a number of threads lately and im a noob, so let me know if im a nuisance pleez..

I have been on cpap for 11 days now and have seen a smidge of improvement but i have been plagued with two problems. First is the medium pillows on my P10 have been hurting my nose on the inside. Ive tried several things. But nothing has helped.. Till now. I been using the medium size pillows as the rsp therapist told me to do but tonite i put in the large ones. I dont have a big nose (IMHO) but these dont stick as far inside my nose as the others did. Quite a diff, will see tonight.

Second is the anxiety. I still have to take half an Ambien to get ovr the hump. Wish i could relax but cant. I wake up once or twice a night and get back to sleep no prob, just the beginning. Hope it ends someday.. Thanks for the ears..

Mark
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Interesting..
Hi - I have Respironics pillow and also have a sore nose at times. (Three months in so still getting used to this thin). Firstly seemed to irritate inside the nostrl but that has gone now. I prefer the Large pillows as well but they tend to get dislodged more easily and leak, so back to medium. Also if I have the mediums too tight (depending on where the strap on top of the head sits) end up with a sore snoz as well. Manual and advice says to have pillows loose but then they do get dislodged to easy in my case.
Post Reply Post Reply
The rule-of-thumb for P10 pillow sizing seems to be: Find the one that fits, then go up one size. Be careful about the Ambien, your body will adjust to it very rapidly. Give it time. . . resistance is futile! Coffee
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-20-2015, 11:13 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: The rule-of-thumb for P10 pillow sizing seems to be: Find the one that fits, then go up one size. Be careful about the Ambien, your body will adjust to it very rapidly. Give it time. . . resistance is futile! Coffee
Amen on the one size up. Im taking really a tiny dose of the ambien, hopefully ill get over the damned anxiety soon..
Post Reply Post Reply
So first an attempt to add some perspective. It seems to be finding what YOU need, so what I needed may or may not work for anyone. I would wake 4-8 times a night. The last time I went into the sleep Dr he looked at my data and said "wow you did not sleep at all last night" and this was actually better than when I started.

It took me for what seemed like forever to "trust" the therapy and even after I got some measure of trust I was still not sleeping like I thought I should.

I have heard of people on CPAP for years and still not comfortable with it. In this I may have been lucky as U now absolutely LOVE it.

If what you are using is not working, try something else (like the large pillows) Different settings, different masks a BiLevel machine, see a pulmonologist to see if something else is adding to the sleep apnea issues. Stop only when it is good enough or you have run out of things to try. Keep a journal so you know what was the best of every setting.

"so let me know if im a nuisance pleez" not even close!
Post Reply Post Reply
GTOdude,
No your not a nuisance. That's what this forum is for...to help if we can.

When I was first diagnosed with S.A., I was a total mess. I never slept for more than 2 to 3 hours a night for months before I started using CPAP, and I didn't adapt right away. I suffered a lot of anxiety and didn't think I could ever get used to sleeping tethered to a hose.

It wasn't until my doctor took one look at me and said...."you won't be around five years from now if you don't make this work." Well, he scared me, so I made it work. I had to talk myself into it little by little each night. I hadn't found this forum until after I started using Cpap, so I felt really alone. Now I can't imagine sleeping without.

Just give it time, it all falls into place.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
definitely not a nuisance - I enjoy reading your posts GTSDude. It seems that getting the mask/s right is the biggie we all want to talk about with each other. I am nearly 3 weeks into my therapy and reading a fellow noobs challenges with the therapy is some way comforting as I too try and get my body and brain adapted to what I need to do every night for the rest of my life with CPAP.

My dilemma is that I love the Nasal Pillows but when I go into REM sleep which is mostly when my airways collapse completely and the machine ramps up the air, I am woken up with air streaming out of my mouth. The first time that happened - it spun me out. The clinician said my mouth leaks were not significant however she said I should also trial a nasal mask.

So I am trialling the ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Mask. There are good things about this mask in that I can just disconnect the hose from the front of the mask and go to the bathroom without having to go through the rigmarole of taking the mask off and then putting it back on in front of the mirror to make sure I have fitted it properly. However, I cannot drink anything (might have to get a straw or something) With the nasal pillows having a drink is not a problem. My reading glasses don't sit properly on my nose also.

I can't afford both -

The nasal pillows are quieter but if I have a stuffed nose how does CPAP work then? They are kinder to the face in that there is fainter face marks in the morning.

The nasal mask is cruel to the face and it takes a while for the strap marks to disappear and I am not sure if I am having any leaks and it seems that the flow of air outwards is more pronounced.

So while my mind is accepting of CPAP - my body and brain is slow to catch on!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Funnily enough, I have just started using a Nuance nasal pillow and I am not sure what size I should be using as well. It matters not what the label says, as long as its comfortable and works. I have tried small and now medium. Might go large one day to see that makes a difference!

Nasal pillows are a bit strange for sure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Only on my 2nd CPAP week so hardly an expert.

Machine was delivered with a Whisp nasal mask Dr. sized it to Small. That lasted about 1 hour my first night, tried the medium one and even the large - helped with the breathing paranoia I had then and more comfortable only downside was the larger the more it would leak when I would turn to my sides.

Switched to the Nuance a few days ago, started with Medium very comfortable fit but kept getting a bit of pressure pain on one nostril so switched to large, no pain (although I still prefer the medium fit may try it again).

LOVE the Nuance because I turn a lot at night and this one allows that. Also much quieter.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-20-2015, 11:23 PM)GTOdude Wrote:
(12-20-2015, 11:13 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: The rule-of-thumb for P10 pillow sizing seems to be: Find the one that fits, then go up one size. Be careful about the Ambien, your body will adjust to it very rapidly. Give it time. . . resistance is futile! Coffee
Amen on the one size up. Im taking really a tiny dose of the ambien, hopefully ill get over the damned anxiety soon..

You will... and then the reverse case will set in - you wont be able to sleep *without* the mask and machine. I know I can't - I hear the first snore, wake up fully at the first apnea event...

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An interesting-ish video about mouth taping PaulaO2 0 364 01-08-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Interesting mask fit news from Phillips Gooserider 5 1,302 05-24-2020, 03:55 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Interesting situation (financial) Broomstick 7 1,265 01-31-2020, 12:06 AM
Last Post: farnsy
  New machine interesting problem britincanada 2 1,226 05-13-2019, 09:09 PM
Last Post: ajack
  Interesting DME Experience sansnap 11 2,332 01-21-2019, 02:22 AM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Interesting Pro Publica Article ShoshTrvls 7 1,493 11-28-2018, 04:05 PM
Last Post: ShoshTrvls
  [Pressure] Pressure increase after interesting flow rates MisterM 1 1,155 03-17-2018, 06:57 AM
Last Post: Walla Walla

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.