Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Interesting..
RE: Interesting..
(12-21-2015, 11:27 AM)CHanlon Wrote:
(12-20-2015, 11:23 PM)GTOdude Wrote:
(12-20-2015, 11:13 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: The rule-of-thumb for P10 pillow sizing seems to be: Find the one that fits, then go up one size. Be careful about the Ambien, your body will adjust to it very rapidly. Give it time. . . resistance is futile! Coffee
Amen on the one size up. Im taking really a tiny dose of the ambien, hopefully ill get over the damned anxiety soon..

You will... and then the reverse case will set in - you wont be able to sleep *without* the mask and machine. I know I can't - I hear the first snore, wake up fully at the first apnea event...
Didnt work. I laid down and start hearing and feeling my heartbeat on my side. Couldnt fall asleep. Damn adrenaline rushes. Needed the Ambien again. Woke once, fell asleep again. Got up this AM feeling terrible. Now my chest is just tight. Disregard the graph until after 00:30 or so. I think thats where I started sleeping. My breathing is really erratic. I like forget to breath then remember and take a breath..

Almost two weeks is and still not feeling really any better. Just cant beat that damn anxiety, and damned if I want to medicate myself. Its a long tunnel. Waiting for a light..

Mark

Post Reply Post Reply
Your anxiety could be caused by a feeling of suffocation based on your low starting pressure. You might try upping the lower pressure to 8-9cm and see if this doesn't help. Also, Ambien will cause an increase in apneas. . . Big Time! Ambien effects the part of the brain that also controls your breathing. Let's work on your apprehension and see if that doesn't help everything else.
-Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What about having a fan on at night for white noise. I do this and it helps. Also how about playing some soothing music until you fall asleep. They say music soothes, it might be worth a try.

Take a look at the DreamWear mask. It is kind of like a nasal pillow system, but it's one 'pillow' that just rests under the nose, so nothing is inside your nose. Might be more comfortable for you. It has the added bonus of the hose connection at the top of the head.

Hope you find something that helps!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
GTO,
A lot of people don't understand that trying to inhale at a pressure of 6 or below is going to feel like your are suffocating and cause you anxiety.

You are spending 50% of your time around 7, so why not up your pressure to start at 7 and see if this helps. It should certainly help reduce some of the hypopneas too.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-21-2015, 12:30 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Your anxiety could be caused by a feeling of suffocation based on your low starting pressure. You might try upping the lower pressure to 8-9cm and see if this doesn't help. Also, Ambien will cause an increase in apneas. . . Big Time! Ambien effects the part of the brain that also controls your breathing. Let's work on your apprehension and see if that doesn't help everything else.
-Red

(12-21-2015, 01:09 PM)cate1898 Wrote: What about having a fan on at night for white noise. I do this and it helps. Also how about playing some soothing music until you fall asleep. They say music soothes, it might be worth a try.

Take a look at the DreamWear mask. It is kind of like a nasal pillow system, but it's one 'pillow' that just rests under the nose, so nothing is inside your nose. Might be more comfortable for you. It has the added bonus of the hose connection at the top of the head.

Hope you find something that helps!

(12-21-2015, 02:08 PM)OpalRose Wrote: GTO,
A lot of people don't understand that trying to inhale at a pressure of 6 or below is going to feel like your are suffocating and cause you anxiety.

You are spending 50% of your time around 7, so why not up your pressure to start at 7 and see if this helps. It should certainly help reduce some of the hypopneas too.
Thank you folks for the responses. I have my sound system on at night playing instrumentals and try to concentrate on that. I also raised the pressure for tonight.

I have an appt tomorrow with my DME resp therapist to try and get a Dreamware mask. So they call me a few minutes ago and tell me to bring my machine and everything with me. What? Says the therapist likes to see how you're doing everything. So what I gotta do, set everything back to my original script? My Dr told me to change things and knows I know how to do it.

Do they have any sway over you? Pisses me off actually..

Mark

Post Reply Post Reply
Since your high pressure limit is 14, see if you can bump up your lower pressure to 8 go for a week or two and bump up to 9.
keep going till you are 4-5 cm below 14. That should keep your airway from collapsing into an apnea event but still feel like you're getting plenty of air.
You might need to sit on the bed and breathe deep for a few minutes when you first start up the machine.
(if your AHI numbers are ok at that stage)
Keep checking for leaks and fix them. (ask about this if problems come up)
You might need a different mask too, Keep an open mind on this and try anything that will keep a good seal without
tearing your nose bridge up or needing to be strapped down super tight.

Hang in there and persist! That's how you will get dialed in and flying right.
(all of us had to do it in some form )
Cheers & best of luck!
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
No, they have no say over you, especially if your have doctors approval.
They are probably looking at compliance.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-21-2015, 04:32 PM)OpalRose Wrote: No, they have no say over you, especially if your have doctors approval.
They are probably looking at compliance.
I have compliance, Miss OpalRose. I sit with the thing on most every evening while im watching tv or ipadding, originally to try and get used to it. Tonight im just gonna put it on when I crash out. I have been wearing it at least four hours "sleeping" anyhoo.

I'll set it back to the Dr settings before i take it in with me tomorrow (ridiculous). BTW, I had seen my Dr and he told me to hit 6-12 instead of my original script of 5-8.

Mark
Post Reply Post Reply
You don't mention what dose of Ambien you're taking. It is effective in initiating sleep for about a week. After that, it is mostly a placebo effect. It is only prescribed for short-term insomnia, although I've read elsewhere that some people have been taking it for years, and they say it works great. I think they're deluding themselves, as the pharmacology does not support long term efficacy. I finally tapered off it using a schedule I found on this forum. It was a very slooooow process, but it worked. I no longer take it. If I find I can't get to sleep, I take 0.25mg of Xanax (the lowest prescribed dose). Like Ambien, most patients develop a tolerance to Xanax over a relatively short period.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-21-2015, 08:51 PM)Jim Bronson Wrote: You don't mention what dose of Ambien you're taking. It is effective in initiating sleep for about a week. After that, it is mostly a placebo effect. It is only prescribed for short-term insomnia, although I've read elsewhere that some people have been taking it for years, and they say it works great. I think they're deluding themselves, as the pharmacology does not support long term efficacy. I finally tapered off it using a schedule I found on this forum. It was a very slooooow process, but it worked. I no longer take it. If I find I can't get to sleep, I take 0.25mg of Xanax (the lowest prescribed dose). Like Ambien, most patients develop a tolerance to Xanax over a relatively short period.
Jim, A few years ago, my dr put me on .25mg Xanax for sleep. I got hooked on them right quick. Took me a while to get off. I wont touch a benzo with a 10 ft pole. I have some Ativans but am loathe to use one. I take mostly half a 10mg tab of Ambien. Have had to use the other half only twice.

I have a sneaking suspicion my adrenals are all fatigued cuz of the rushes I get when im trying to fall asleep. Ive been reading about that. Plus my sleep Dr diagnosed me hypothyroid (even tho my labs were "in limits"). Ive been on Armour now about 5 or 6 days and it takes a while for effect. Im gonna try and see my GP tomorrow and get my adrenals/cortisol checked. If I can ditch the rushes, I wont need the Ambien!

Mark

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An interesting-ish video about mouth taping PaulaO2 0 364 01-08-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Interesting mask fit news from Phillips Gooserider 5 1,302 05-24-2020, 03:55 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Interesting situation (financial) Broomstick 7 1,265 01-31-2020, 12:06 AM
Last Post: farnsy
  New machine interesting problem britincanada 2 1,226 05-13-2019, 09:09 PM
Last Post: ajack
  Interesting DME Experience sansnap 11 2,332 01-21-2019, 02:22 AM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Interesting Pro Publica Article ShoshTrvls 7 1,493 11-28-2018, 04:05 PM
Last Post: ShoshTrvls
  [Pressure] Pressure increase after interesting flow rates MisterM 1 1,155 03-17-2018, 06:57 AM
Last Post: Walla Walla

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.