Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Intermittent desaturations during sleep - doc ordered 02 concentrator
Intermittent desaturations during sleep - doc ordered 02 concentrator
Pulse ox test from doc came back + for hypoxia with 7.2 min. in desats and says he will be ordering supplemental 02.

Since my desats were infrequent and, as of late, none of my home readings have been >1-2 min., I am thinking much has to do with transient sinus issues, atmospheric changes and lack of humidity.

So, the question becomes, do I really need to be on it? I guess if insurance covers it 100%, what do I have to lose?

Are there some health benefits even for those who don't desat much?

Doc also suggested BIPAP or ASV, neither of which I want to experiment with, the BIPAP already having done and with lackluster results.

My only concern is why CPAP didn't eliminate the desats to begin with and why would I now suddenly need supplemental 02. Unless I have an undiagnosed respiratory condition, wouldn't having a normal AHI as treated with CPAP prevent intermittent hypoxia?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Intermittent desaturations during sleep - doc ordered 02 concentrator
It really is no big deal to use. Get a looong tubing and locate the concentrator in another room. You won’t even know it is on. It hooks into the tubing and there is no noise if it is in another room. I have used one for over 15 years. 

Important because every organ in your body needs enough oxygen. Heart, kidneys, liver - everything that keeps you alive.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I have no problems with a concentrator, however, I think we have never been given an opportunity to optimize your Aircurve 10 Vauto therapy. In one of your previous threads you posted an image of the Vauto in CPAP mode at a pressure of 8.0. If you really want to evaluate your alternatives to using supplemental oxygen, you need to optimize your bilevel to get the most out of it. Most of your threads have focused on oxygen desaturation, and we have never correlated that problem to the CPAP or VPAP therapy. I think it's time to up your game with what we are actually pretty good at on Apnea Board. Post some useful charts, and let's start working with some bilevel pressure to improve your comfort and efficacy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-19-2021, 09:23 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I have no problems with a concentrator, however, I think we have never been given an opportunity to optimize your Aircurve 10 Vauto therapy. In one of your previous threads you posted an image of the Vauto in CPAP mode at a pressure of 8.0.  If you really want to evaluate your alternatives to using supplemental oxygen, you need to optimize your bilevel to get the most out of it. Most of your threads have focused on oxygen desaturation, and we have never correlated that problem to the CPAP or VPAP therapy.  I think it's time to up your game with what we are actually pretty good at on Apnea Board.  Post some useful charts, and let's start working with some bilevel pressure to improve your comfort and efficacy.

Got it, will be posting that shortly on my original thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your doctor suggested the ASV, it may be that you have periods of breathing cessation that could cause desaturations. 
Does your bilevel show a trace of patient triggered breathing?  Does it ever drop to or near zero?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-20-2021, 01:10 AM)LindanHotAir Wrote: If your doctor suggested the ASV, it may be that you have periods of breathing cessation that could cause desaturations. 
Does your bilevel show a trace of patient triggered breathing?  Does it ever drop to or near zero?

Sorry, am a bit lost when you mention bilevel and patient triggered breathing. Please clarify.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your doctor suggested the ASV, it may be that you have periods of breathing cessation that could cause desaturations. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-20-2021, 12:18 PM)LindanHotAir Wrote: If your doctor suggested the ASV, it may be that you have periods of breathing cessation that could cause desaturations. 
I only use one level on CPAP now, not bipap. Not familiar with patient triggered breathing or how to access that data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some machines produce a trace that shows up as a percentage of patient triggered breathing that shows up on OSCAR. It shows periods of central apnea where you are not initiating your own breaths.  The periods of low percentage periods of patient triggered breathing are periods when you can experience desaturations.  My ASV provides pressure pulses that replace breaths I don’t initiate. My oxygen saturation ranges between 96 and 98 on the ASV.  The ASV maintains a consistent tidal volume and minute vent. You may want to see if the ASV machine will maintain a high saturation level without supplemental oxygen.  If you find you need it, you can inject it into the CPAP air circuit.
Post Reply Post Reply
yeah, your CPAP doesn't do that. Your best bet would be to present your data to the doctor and ask why that decision was made, seeing that your desats are not large. I assume you are taking oximeter readings all through the night while sleeping. these should be lined up with the events data from your CPAP, and compared to see if events are causing this or something that is not a sleep apnea issue.

Good luck.

QAL
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 160 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Am I crazy for complaining to this DME seller about the reservoir I ordered? sweetbobby 14 442 03-08-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: sweetbobby
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 204 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Equipment] Intermittent "mooing" noises from (new) machine marylee 3 295 01-29-2024, 07:49 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Question Is it OK to turn on an oxygen concentrator before my APAP machine? EMihalis 10 694 12-15-2023, 12:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Very intermittent nasal cushion collapse BillfromMissouri2 4 383 12-10-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Doctor ordered a CPAP sleep study melody 11 898 11-12-2023, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.