Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Intermittent desaturations during sleep
Intermittent desaturations during sleep
Just started using a new pulse ox device that vibrates when I desaturate <90. I've been getting 4-5 episodes nightly, moreso in the morning. My AHIs have averaged in the mid 2s. Most prevalent when I lay on my back as opposed to side sleeping. Dead ringer for upper airway collapse I would think. Using a chinstrap but am noticing an increase in dry mouth in the early mornings before waking. Should I bump up my pressure? What else can I do?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Intermittent desaturations during sleep
Let's see your charts including oximetry.

with a dreamstation you have two options

1. more pressure
2. Increase supplemental oxygen
ok there is a third option.
3. Get a BiLevel which will improve your exchange

BUT these are general answers because you have not presented your charts.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2021, 06:08 PM)Gideon Wrote: Let's see your charts including oximetry.

with a dreamstation you have two options

1. more pressure
2. Increase supplemental oxygen
ok there is a third option.  
3. Get a BiLevel which will improve your exchange

BUT these are general answers because you have not presented your charts.

Last 2 nights:

[Image: RVKpfia.jpg]
[Image: NCWmUye.jpg]

[Image: kJ8S9Ku.png]
[Image: yixh593.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
In part, I think you are falling into the spike trap. Honestly, the spikes, which is what I see, don't matter. What matters is duration. How long were you under 93%, 90%, 88%, 85%, 80%, 75%? These values are there because the top four are used by some doctors as critical values. The lower two are there to indicate the really bad values. Do you have access to these types of values? The longer the duration and the lower the percentage the worse it is.

IMHO turn the alarm off and check your durations. Without question, the alarm is disturbing your sleep.

On your charts turn off the Piechart and calendar and we will see your settings. Take your screenshot with F12 as that will remove them take the shot then restore them after.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2021, 08:12 PM)Gideon Wrote: In part, I think you are falling into the spike trap.  Honestly, the spikes, which is what I see, don't matter.  What matters is duration.  How long were you under 93%, 90%, 88%, 85%, 80%, 75%?  These values are there because the top four are used by some doctors as critical values.  The lower two are there to indicate the really bad values.  Do you have access to these types of values? The longer the duration and the lower the percentage the worse it is.

IMHO turn the alarm off and check your durations.  Without question, the alarm is disturbing your sleep.

On your charts turn off the Piechart and calendar and we will see your settings.  Take your screenshot with F12 as that will remove them take the shot then restore them after.

[Image: rmttkom.png]
[Image: E1Lfvbl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Anyone help in interpreting my ODI (oxygen desaturation index)? 02 score doesn't look too bad (10 = zero hypoxia).

[Image: mqzgN9k.jpg]
[Image: 7AcPcga.jpg]
[Image: n4JtZyJ.jpg]
[Image: XLAOOmb.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm only seeing brief downward spikes on the SpO2 charts. It didn't appear these last long enough to be a serious issue.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is Viatom/Wellue data yeah? You can also import this into OSCAR, if you want to (as an aside).

I actually asked Viatom about this: ODI is the number of oxygen drops that you have per hour at a specific percent. So ODI 3% is the number of drops in an hour of at least 3 percent from your baseline SpO2 measurement. Most often, this drop is required to happen within a specific time frame (such as 8 seconds), but Viatom's software seems to measure all of them, no matter how long they last.

I would definitely recommend turning OFF the vibration warning for now - at least to get an idea of if the drops would actually turn into anything problematic, or if they are just the occasional spike. With pretty much 100% of your time spent between 90 and 100%, and your average being at 94, that's not particularly worrisome.
Post Reply Post Reply
That 85 SpO2 value appears to be an artifact. You probably bumped the sensor. To me, your overall low is around 88%.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Note if it's at or below 88% for over 5 minutes, they're putting you on supplemental oxygen. I haven't seen it that low consistently on these charts.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 209 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Equipment] Intermittent "mooing" noises from (new) machine marylee 3 299 01-29-2024, 07:49 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Very intermittent nasal cushion collapse BillfromMissouri2 4 385 12-10-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,362 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  Intermittent large breaths jwest 0 293 08-20-2023, 02:02 AM
Last Post: jwest
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 808 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.