Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dealing with Lincare
Dealing with Lincare
I took some advice here and am geting a new machine. My provider is Lincare and I don't know if they will try to give me a brick or a good fully data capable machine.
I know I should have told my DR. what to write the perscriction for but my Dr. is a
*$** . When I called his office and broached the idea of a new machine the office girl said why is your's broken? I then told her it will be 10 years old 1/25/17 and it
is indead starting to fail. She told me I would have to come in and talk to the DR. even though I was in last month. Then he would order a new sleep study ect. Well I called Lincare and they got this ironed out and ordered me a machine. But I wonder when it gets in in a day or two if I am likely to get a good one or a brick. Ok I know if it's a brick I can refuse it but wonder what to expect from good old Lincare ? And I think I need to hunt for a good Dr not this looser I currently have.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dealing with Lincare
EW, when you go to pick up the machine, I suspect you will get an auto machine. That is what you had previously, your pressure prescription is a range, not a single pressure, and you have not had anything that would change your need for an auto machine. In the event they offer a fixed pressure CPAP, you have a right of refusal. You should use these points mentioned above as rationale for an upgrade to auto, and you should refuse to accept anything less. They will probably dispense an auto anyway, but just in case, you are in control until you actually accept the machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well actually I was prescribed a brick and had picked up a used auto off craig's list. So who know what they will give me. It wasn't till I bought an auto and looked at the data that I knew my therapy wasn't where it should be. If I absolutely have to I may just buy a good one out of pocket but will try this rout first.
Post Reply Post Reply
The DME gets reimbursed profitably either way. Refuse a brick, accept an auto. You are the customer and you should make your wishes clear. Accepting anything less than what you expect only hurts you. Lincare is well known here, and they will fill your prescription with a better machine, but you may have to be assertive.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
EW, don't wait. Call up Lincare and tell them what machine you want. If they need a different script, then either they can get it for you or you can call the doctor's office and they will send a new one. Ultimately, you pay for it (either with cash your your health insurance), so get the cpap that YOU want as you will have that for the next 5 or more years. Don't waste your time going to an appointment only to have the wrong machine. I told them I wanted a Resmed For Her. I got it. I had to wait extra time for it, but it's what I wanted (I now have 2!).

The thing is, a lot of people aren't interested in their care. They have NO DESIRE to maximize their therapy for whatever reason. Fine, they can have the bricks. Some people want a brick as a backup machine. No problem with that either. But if you are seeking to make sure that you have the best therapy possible for you, you want to have an auto machine that has the data capability that allows you to see exactly what is happening.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2017, 06:44 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: EW, don't wait. Call up Lincare and tell them what machine you want.  If they need a different script, then either they can get it for you or you can call the doctor's office and they will send a new one.  Ultimately, you pay for it (either with cash your your health insurance), so get the cpap that YOU want as you will have that for the next 5 or more years.  Don't waste your time going to an appointment only to have the wrong machine.  I told them I wanted a Resmed For Her.  I got it.  I had to wait extra time for it, but it's what I wanted (I now have 2!).

The thing is, a lot of people aren't interested in their care. They have NO DESIRE to maximize their therapy for whatever reason.  Fine, they can have the bricks.  Some people want a brick as a backup machine. No problem with that either.  But if you are seeking to make sure that you have the best therapy possible for you, you want to have an auto machine that has the data capability that allows you to see exactly what is happening.
Post Reply Post Reply
I need to go down there to pick out a new mask anyway . If it's
not a good one I will turn it down and take your advice. Shoot I
already have 2 autos that give me some data that old remstarauto
and the Resmed S8. I realy was disapointed when I found out the
S8 Vantage didn't have detailed data I thought it would.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2017, 08:33 PM)E.W. Wrote: I need to go down there to pick out a new mask anyway . If it's
not a good one I will turn it down and take your advice. Shoot I
already have 2 autos that give me some data that old remstarauto
and the Resmed S8. I realy was disapointed when I found out the
S8 Vantage didn't have detailed data I thought it would.

That attitude will work fine. Decline any machine that does not meet your expectations, and the machine you want will appear.  A short delay may happen, but like you say, no big deal.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP since March 22, still dealing with aerophagia, wakings, and heart rate problems manacles 16 2,565 10-01-2023, 11:16 PM
Last Post: manacles
  Any advice for dealing with my flow limits? rafaelgoesmann 9 1,361 04-30-2023, 06:58 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Equipment] finally got someone to listen at lincare ajwees41 2 781 10-11-2021, 06:39 PM
Last Post: ajwees41
  dealing with an error message YosefT 3 1,102 02-03-2021, 09:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Please help with dealing with central apnoeas due to CPAP chen30 38 3,342 11-30-2020, 02:48 PM
Last Post: chen30
  Question about dealing with DMEs 17WRX 10 1,523 10-25-2019, 05:37 PM
Last Post: Bubba45
  Apria or Lincare? anonEmouse2004 12 4,792 09-12-2018, 10:32 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.