Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Internal Memory/SD Card Question
RE: Internal Memory/SD Card Question
(11-03-2013, 04:26 PM)vsheline Wrote: Before investing in the card reader, I suggest keeping in mind that a very capable used S9 AutoSet or used Philips Respironics System One Auto sometimes can be picked up cheaply. I picked up a used S9 AutoSet on CraigsList for $250.

Supplier #2 advertises "Gently Used DS560 REMstar Auto AFLEX Machine" for $389, and can get Heated Humidifier later for $70 when saved up more money.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

I really appreciate the help from everyone. You all seem to have been down this path and I hate to stumble along on my own, while there is so much experienced help willing to chime in. If you all want to jump in with ideas, I continue to explain my thoughts.....

The path of buying a card reader to collect data for the S8 machine seemed the best option since my out-of-pocket expense for the entire setup would be the cost of the card reader itself. Everything else has been donated, so the loss of a few data points that the S9 offers at first glance seems insignificant.

If there is a compelling set of reasons to migrate to a S9 or compatible machine, like the data to be mined from the S8 will not help answer why I'm sleeping 4-5 hours a day, then I'm all ears. I've reached the goal of keeping an AHI below 5.0, but I don't know what to do next. Even with the low AHI averages, I still feel lifeless in the mornings with volumes of coffee 10 to 2 to jumpstart the afternoon.

I'm hoping that the added data offered on the S8 software will provide clues of what else could be causing the broken sleep patterns I appear to be in. Will the S9 type machines offer significantly more information to get to a solution?
Anyone?
Post Reply Post Reply
could the caffeine you drink in the afternoon be the cause of you not sleeping more than 4-5 hours? Are you sleeping 4-5 hours without waking up?

I can go to sleep but I can't stay asleep.

I am sure you will get more answers and suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2013, 05:56 PM)me50 Wrote: could the caffeine you drink in the afternoon be the cause of you not sleeping more than 4-5 hours? Are you sleeping 4-5 hours without waking up?

Maybe- I try to stop the coffee by 3:00 p.m. each day. Anyway, I've always associated the affects of caffeine with not being able to "get" to sleep and alcohol with waking up early. Most nights I drop off by 9:00 and stay asleep until about 2:00, 3:00 if I'm lucky.

I've considered that lifestyle has some bearing on all this. I just did not want to make any of those changes until I understand and have a handle on the Apnea issues. If 5.0 AHI with a leak avg of .20 is the best to expect, then I'll have to see what lifestyle changes can help prolong the sleep hours.
Thanks for the feedback.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2013, 07:00 PM)Kramdens Demise Wrote:
(11-03-2013, 05:56 PM)me50 Wrote: could the caffeine you drink in the afternoon be the cause of you not sleeping more than 4-5 hours? Are you sleeping 4-5 hours without waking up?

Maybe- I try to stop the coffee by 3:00 p.m. each day. Anyway, I've always associated the affects of caffeine with not being able to "get" to sleep and alcohol with waking up early. Most nights I drop off by 9:00 and stay asleep until about 2:00, 3:00 if I'm lucky.

I've considered that lifestyle has some bearing on all this. I just did not want to make any of those changes until I understand and have a handle on the Apnea issues. If 5.0 AHI with a leak avg of .20 is the best to expect, then I'll have to see what lifestyle changes can help prolong the sleep hours.
Thanks for the feedback.

caffeine can be part of the cause of your headaches too. AHI's will vary from day to day so as long as you have them and the leaks under control, then the other issues that you spoke of are more important to get under control. I am not sure what is causing them for you but sometimes, it is a trial and error to figure it out. I wouldn't cut everything out at one time or you won't know which caused the problem. Also, you could try 1/2 the caffeine coffee.

Hope you can figure it out and I am sure you will get some other ideas to try out.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I mailed my SD card in over a week ago and hadn't gotten it back yet. I emailed the DME today to make sure they got it. They responded and said that they did, but that it was defective. I forgot to download the most recent data before I mailed it off, but it worked fine for about a week so this makes me wonder.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I emailed her I asked her if I could just email the data since I have an SD card reader, here's what I was told:

"Your Sd card reader won’t work. It has to be on the Respironics software to read."

I love people who don't know how computers work.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Philips SD Card Format Question Crimson Nape 1 236 02-16-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Switch to memory foam cushion? Toddsims 4 516 12-28-2023, 12:14 AM
  [Equipment] SD card question and mask leak issue when side sleeping KingsIndian 1 431 10-13-2023, 08:41 PM
  Internal cpap repair parts mzipp 8 5,585 08-10-2023, 05:29 PM
Last Post: sms832
  PAP and Cognition (brain fog, memory, focus, etc) - Share your experience! cyrial 0 515 06-04-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: cyrial
  Question: ResMed My Air & SD card rdudley9 2 715 06-04-2023, 11:48 AM
Last Post: larrykay
  [Equipment] Safety of memory foam CPAP cushions shutto 0 675 02-05-2023, 12:24 PM
Last Post: shutto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.