Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Unsure
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
International Travel with CPAP
I recently returned from Australia, which is 16 hours ahead of my home time zone. And actually, it's 17 hours ahead of the time set in my machine, since it was prescribed when I lived in CA, and I now live in ID, and the time has never been changed to reflect my new location.

Thanks to this site, I know know there is a built-in clock in the machine. But I didn't know that when I was in Australia and getting very weird usage times each night, and I was confused about 0.8-1.9 hour usages reported.

Now that I know there's a clock, I see that perhaps when the day in CA changed, the timer must have started from 0 again. The averages continued to be fine, and I assume all actual sleep time was recorded, split between two days.

This sort of explains it, but not completely. I'm not sure why the time did not accumulate from the previous sleep period, but apparently the machine knows how long it has been off between the on periods.

But the question is: does it make sense to reset the time to local time in the time zone I'm in? I read that there are problems with setting a time earlier than it has already recorded, so setting it back when I get home might be a problem for travel to Asia. So perhaps it's better not to mess with things and let the data record how it wants to.

I think, though, that this is a poor design, and it would be nice for some provision for local time zone to be input easily.

Anyone else with experiences like this to share? I have a ResMed S9. I do not travel with the humidifier.
06-03-2015 11:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

RE: International Travel with CPAP
Hi kimgh,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I don't know the answer to your question but hang in there, someone will be along shortly who can help.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

trish6hundred
06-04-2015 09:31 AM
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

G'day Kimg, welcome to Apnea Board.

The CPAP day starts at noon according to the on-board clock, so if you're in a totally different part of the world it's likely your machine is breaking the night's sleep over two days. And combining some of your morning sleep with the following evening. You can reset the clock to accommodate changes in time zones, but if you go backwards (eg from Australia to the US) then it will complain and not accept the reset without erasing data. Personally I don't bother changing the clock.

The Respironics machines take a different approach - every machine is pre-set to GMT / UCT at the factory and can't be reset without special black magic software available only to the initiated at the service centre. Unfortunately the clocks can drift out of time and it's a pain to get them re-set. I'm not sure that one approach is particularly better than the other.

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-04-2015 09:42 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
kimgh Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Unsure
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Hi, and thanks. I had figured out (since I posted here, finally) that the transition from one day to the next has to occur at noon. In my case, the machine was NOT combining the two sessions in the broken up day but only reporting the portion of the sleep day after "noon" California time. But you have at least helped me understand better what is going on. It was a little hard to puzzle it out while I was "down under".

(06-04-2015 09:42 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote:  G'day Kimg, welcome to Apnea Board.

The CPAP day starts at noon according to the on-board clock, so if you're in a totally different part of the world it's likely your machine is breaking the night's sleep over two days. And combining some of your morning sleep with the following evening. You can reset the clock to accommodate changes in time zones, but if you go backwards (eg from Australia to the US) then it will complain and not accept the reset without erasing data. Personally I don't bother changing the clock.

The Respironics machines take a different approach - every machine is pre-set to GMT / UCT at the factory and can't be reset without special black magic software available only to the initiated at the service centre. Unfortunately the clocks can drift out of time and it's a pain to get them re-set. I'm not sure that one approach is particularly better than the other.
06-04-2015 10:54 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Travel CPAP holden4th 5 292 11-13-2016 03:06 PM
Last Post: bill-e
  Travel CPAP that will run on 12V - 2016 update? ;-) NCZzzz 11 1,403 11-12-2016 12:07 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Looking for advice on new machine, good for travel - and adapting to life without PAP Hazel 8 480 11-08-2016 05:59 PM
Last Post: PsychoMike
  Travel Sized CPAP Machine billkenney 11 1,453 09-28-2016 11:46 AM
Last Post: bill-e
  Travel to Australia with Apap. Newbee2016 10 538 09-24-2016 12:06 PM
Last Post: SharonN
  Battery for Airplane Travel EmilySleeps 5 504 09-16-2016 02:00 PM
Last Post: PoolQ
  Camping and Travel 0rangebear 12 1,350 07-19-2016 01:15 PM
Last Post: MrGadget