Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Interpretation Questions - My OSCAR Data
RE: Interpretation Questions - My OSCAR Data
(12-22-2019, 06:23 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: These regularly spaced bumps are most noticeable during the end of expiration when low flow rate is present, but it can be present during the entire respiratory cycle. It's heartbeat in this case, but more irregular or larger amplitude can be physical movement or even PLM.  When I count these in the example below, I get about 60 BPM (10 in 10-seconds). That's pretty normal, and the intensity and rate of heartbeats will vary through the night.  I see this in my own graphs but it is very subtle compared to this.  I think this may be more pronounced when you sleep on your left side and at times you might even be aware of a pounding heartbeat that has a small impact on respiratory flow.  I have seen this in many charts and can nearly always count a rate between 55 and 80 bpm.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=18293]

Confused...Could someone highlight a section of the above chart where inhale begins and exhale ends?
Post Reply Post Reply
You see it better on the zoomed in plot where I measured the wavelength

Stuff below the red line is breathing out
Stuff above the red line is breathing in

Any ripples that seem to cross the line don't really count.. it's the heart beats being detected as pressure pulses

Whether the "pause" is part of the exhale or part of the inhale or neither is a bit debatable.. you need to really zoom in close to see where the exhale really stops.
I probably should have drawn the black exhale a bit wider and the turquoise pause a bit narrower.

EDIT: some folks may argue that the OUT and the PAUSE are all really part of the much longer exhale and they wouldn't draw a pause at all.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I was watching one of The Lanky Lefty’s YT videos and he was saying they are snores if I’m not mistaken. I can’t remember which video but it was one of them where he goes through an entire flow rate wave form
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
That was my first thought too BUT the frequency is way to low for a snore.  I wasn't thinking pulse but that would explain it.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can't snore at 90 beats per minute... that's too low a frequency to be in the audible range.
It's barely 1.5 beats per second. That's more like hand-clapping speed.
Post Reply Post Reply
By the way

Whenever I try to paste an image directly into a post using drag-n-drop it looks fine.
But if I preview it or post it I get stream of thousands of bytes of numbers.
How are you folks pasting images inline in your posts?
I am on a PC windows 10 using Firefox browser
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-22-2019, 08:06 PM)CPAPUserDave Wrote: Confused...Could someone highlight a section of the above chart where inhale begins and exhale ends?

It has been here all along. I added it to the to Beginner's Guide ages ago. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ailed_look

[Image: Normal_respiration_markup.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe I'm reading too much into what I'm seeing but..

I'm starting to wonder if there's cause and effect happening here..
Those heartbeats look pretty strong!

1) Flow limitations make breathing less efficient
2) O2 levels start falling
3) Heart starts racing and pounding to get more O2 around the body
4) Heart pounding shows up on the flow-rate as ripples
5) Meanwhile sleep is poor and I spend too much time in shallow sleep
6) Blood pressure may not look too great either if it was being measured.

I will get my final nightly Oximeter test in a day or two so I might be able to check the theory.
We'll see.

BTW: I'm not using the VAUto yet (to fix the flow limits) because I'm still "experimenting" on myself using the Autoset.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I just found out last night that my flow limited breathing is positional so no vauto for me. I’m stuck with a neck brace. Hopefully yours can be handled by machine. I wish mine could be. Not a fan of collars
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
I have no proof these fluctuations are from heart rate, and in the example above they appear at a frequency of about 90 bpm.  This article might be appropriate from Healthline
Quote:Why do I only get heart palpitations at night?

Heart palpitations at night occur when you get the feeling of a strong pulse in your chest, neck, or head after you lay down to sleep. It’s important to note that while these may be unsettling, they’re usually normal and aren’t typically a sign of anything more serious.
If you sleep on your side, you may be more susceptible to heart palpitations at night due to the way your body bends and pressure builds up internally.
The most common form of palpitation unrelated to your heart occurs when bending over, as there’s an increase in abdominal pressure that then transports to your esophagus, which is located behind the left atrium of your heart.
Another factor to consider when experiencing palpitations at night is that they may be occurring throughout the day, but you’re only noticing them at night due to lower noise levels and reduced distractions as you lie in bed.

What are the symptoms of heart palpitations?

The symptoms of heart palpitations can be concerning if they’re unexpected or you haven’t experienced them before. Symptoms include:
  • the feeling of an irregular pulse or that your heart stopped briefly
  • a sensation of “fluttering” in your chest
  • a fast or pounding heart rate
Short and infrequent palpitations at night are generally not a cause for alarm. According to the Mayo Clinic, they’re usually harmless.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Need help analyzing OSCAR data user357 2 113 9 hours ago
Last Post: user357
  Any insight on this data from OSCAR? jake79 2 138 04-23-2024, 08:49 AM
Last Post: jake79
  Help Adjusting Settings based on Oscar data rygonzo93 5 150 04-19-2024, 10:07 AM
Last Post: rygonzo93
  EPR questions juniper 7 288 04-19-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New - so many questions Matsu1 7 411 04-18-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Matsu1
  Help reading OSCAR data JenniferJuniper 24 1,394 04-18-2024, 10:17 AM
Last Post: JenniferJuniper
  [CPAP] Help with OSCAR data to help improve sleep Akaharu 7 309 04-18-2024, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Akaharu

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.