Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Interpretation Questions - My OSCAR Data
RE: Interpretation Questions - My Oscar Data
(12-14-2019, 02:25 PM)ApneaQuestions Wrote: .....This google search may help track down the paper containing that table.....

I can't edit my previous post so I have to reply to myself (they say that's the first sign y'know..)

To save you from googling..
Here's the actual paper containing those classifications of waveforms.
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/0c30/43...370be1.pdf

It's a good read.
In a nutshell...  "normal healthy people" can have these waveforms throughout the night with varying probabilities.
Other people with known conditions seem to have slightly different waveform probabilities.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Interpretation Questions - My Oscar Data
(12-09-2019, 11:32 AM)ApneaQuestions Wrote: This quotation is from my verbose medical tome.

As you can see in my earlier posts, the whole issue of CAs began to emerge.  My questions became... are these treatment-induced?  Will they spontaneously resolve themselves over time?  Do settings need to be tweaked to make that happen or will it "just happen automatically" as I acclimatize to the PAP treatment over the first few months?

From a financial perspective, there is another question... can I get to the bottom of this before year-end while everything is free?

I am using this thread to document what I learn as I learn it.
At the same time it is being used to adjust therapy settings (and perhaps machines) as more data is revealed.
So it is really two threads in one.

Are these treatment-induced?
Yes - the majority of the CAs were treatment-emergent (perhaps all of them?) - It was clear on my initial posting that the emergent CAs correlated with high pressures and they resolved on lower pressures.

Will they spontaneously resolve themselves over time?
Yes - the CAs (if treatment-emergent) can spontaneously resolve for many people (but not all people) within a time period of 1-3 months.
This paper is just one of many that show the acclimatization.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2699163/
Quote:Conclusions:

In this large retrospective study of 1286 patients with a diagnosis of OSA, 6.5% had CPAP-emergent or persistent CSA. However, CPAP-emergent CSA was generally transitory and was eliminated within 8 weeks after CPAP therapy. The prevalence of CPAP-persistent CSA was about 1.5%. Severity of OSA, a CAI of 5 or greater per hour, and use of opioids were potential risk factors.

Do settings need to be tweaked to make that happen or will it "just happen automatically" as I acclimatize to the PAP treatment over the first few months?
The previous paper showed that the treatment-emergent CAs resolved over time without mention of any changes to therapy settings.
Using my vernacular from the question..  Yes - it can "just happen automatically".

In my particular case..
1) changing machines from APAP to the ASV was able to resolve the CAs (but that experiment was premature based on the desire to get answers and free prescriptions  by year-end)
2) Dropping EPR from 3 to zero on the APAP also cleared the CAs but then we simply began to step back up to 3 again to try to assist the RERA-like flow limitations essentially ending up back where we started.
3) Doing nothing and simply waiting for the CO2 acclimatization would probably have worked too. That's also what my sleep Tech said could happen.

Tonight's data with EPR back at 3 will hopefully show insignificant CAs and the next question will be..... What to do about any residual RERA-like flow limitations (if any)?

With just a couple of weeks left in the year, I have already requested that my doctor writes a prescription for the Aircurve 10 VAuto in anticipation of needing pressure support that goes beyond the EPR=3 setting on the Airsense 10 Autoset. 

This may be a hard sell because the Doc will now be seeing very low AHI values and may need to go outside standard protocol to justify the BIPAP machine. 

However, the Doc was previously willing to bend the protocol by prescribing an Aircurve 10 ASV (prematurely?)... so we shall see.

I sent the Doc my screen captures showing the classic flow limitation waveforms (even though no RERA flags were being raised by the machine). 
I hope she will accept my argument and go along with the BIPAP prescription.  It all depends on how familiar the Doc is with RERA and UARS.

My third sleep study is in the next couple of days.  I hope that study sees the RERA waveforms to support my request and does not end up reporting false negatives (which the Resmed APAP machine seems to be doing). I still have not found a precise definition of the Resmed scoring algorithm for RERA.
The sleep lab uses Resmed equipment too so it's anybody's guess what they will document in the report.
I'm going to see if I can get the raw data from the sleep lab so that I can see the untitrated waveforms for myself.

Meanwhile.. for tonight... EPR back up to 3
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Interpretation Questions - My OSCAR Data
I can't find the video, but... Prof. Jean-Louis Pépin said that two weeks should be enough to see if CAs will persist with treatment or not.
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2019, 03:25 AM)JoeyWallaby Wrote: I can't find the video, but... Prof. Jean-Louis Pépin said that two weeks should be enough to see if CAs will persist with treatment or not.

Thanks for the lead.  I'm hunting for that video and will give a link if I find it.

In the meantime, using your hint, I found some good videos which give some interesting data on treatment-emergent CA from Prof. Jean-Louis Pépin
https://www.google.com/search?client=fir...ICg&uact=5

I also found his paper which gives a great overview of the various central breathing disturbances during sleep
It covers a lot of my questions to date on this thread (such as altitude-related and treatment-emergent)
https://erj.ersjournals.com/content/49/1/1600959#sec-11

Those hits would be a good launching point to find further hits for people with the time and the interest.
Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
I still can't find it but you might find these interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr08K5IfzzY&t=49m53s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=istwsAD6toI&t=4m25s
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night's data..

What changed?  EPR bumped from 2 back up to my starting value of 3

What's next?
I think we've maxed-out the Pressure Support of this machine.
I'm pursuing Aircurve 10 VAuto machine with the Doc for better pressure support. (nothing to lose... it would be free)
I will start hunting for unflagged evidence of residual RERA/UARS and if I find any I'll add some zoom plots to see if people think they are "significant" and require fixing or not.

Symptoms/Subjective:
Still waking too early and not refreshed. Not getting enough sleep. Fogginess and Lethargy (think jetlag).   Body pains non-existent.  Dry mouth, Dry nose (congested) , puffy baggy sliitty eyes.

My Impressions:
CA not returning and nothing showing up after fairly rapid rise of pressures.  Finally acclimatized to CO2 washout? I think so.

Attachment limit:
I have already maxed out my attachment limit so I will need to start deleting previous attachments or use something like google drive to avoid the issue.
Deleting them will make a lot of the discussions unfathomable for subsequent readers. Hmm... now I see why so many threads have "missing attachments".
I have deleted my sleep reports to save space.  I was not getting any feedback on them so they were presumably uninteresting. Maybe my narrative was all you really wanted.
I can give access to them via google drive if anyone feels they really need to see them but missed them before they went.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
No CAs is a very good sign.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2019, 10:41 AM)ApneaQuestions Wrote: ....I will start hunting for unflagged evidence of residual RERA/UARS and if I find any I'll add some zoom plots to see if people think they are "significant" and require fixing or not.....
Here are a couple of zooms surrounding some flow limitations. 
The waveforms look "flat" &/or "chair-shaped" to me. Fourier analysis would tell us objectively.. not available in OSCAR today.
Although these are not flagged as "official" RERAs I think that more pressure support may be indicated.
Agreed?
Hoping for a positive response from Doc to the Aircurve VAuto request.
Can't do much in the meantime.. right?

My user-defined flags
Trying to get better RERA insight.
UF1: Triggered if Flow Limitation 80% for 10 seconds
UF2: Triggered if Flow Limitation 80% for 5 seconds

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2019, 10:41 AM)ApneaQuestions Wrote: Symptoms/Subjective:
Still waking too early and not refreshed. Not getting enough sleep. Fogginess and Lethargy (think jetlag).   Body pains non-existent.  Dry mouth, Dry nose (congested) , puffy baggy sliitty eyes.

Forgot to mention... I went for an MRI yesterday for an unrelated issue. (Long story).

I fell asleep in the MRI machine and woke up with a gasp for air (Supine position.. I prefer to sleep on my side).

It takes some heavy-duty sleep deprivation to fall asleep with all that racket going on.

Then again, I was conscious during my deviated septum surgery and was joking with the surgeon about chisels and sledge hammers.
Maybe I just have a blasé stoic attitude to surgery and loud MRI machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2019, 10:41 AM)ApneaQuestions Wrote: .....
What's next?
I think we've maxed-out the Pressure Support of this machine.
I'm pursuing Aircurve 10 VAuto machine with the Doc for better pressure support. (nothing to lose... it would be free)
While I wait to see if the Aircurve VAuto is forthcoming...
I guess I could start tweaking the minimum pressure upwards to squeeze more RERA-type support out of the Resmed 10 Autoset
After checking this post/thread http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid321418
@Bonjour said that minimum pressure was secondary for extra support.   We've already maxed-out EPR at 3 (which was primary)

This plan also follows a suggestion way back in this thread from @sarcasticdave94 in #38 http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid323052

So is this just a question of bumping by 1 each night and seeing what happens or is it better to jump straight up to something just below median pressure?

Thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Need help analyzing OSCAR data user357 1 83 1 hour ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Any insight on this data from OSCAR? jake79 2 137 Yesterday, 08:49 AM
Last Post: jake79
  Help Adjusting Settings based on Oscar data rygonzo93 5 149 04-19-2024, 10:07 AM
Last Post: rygonzo93
  EPR questions juniper 7 287 04-19-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New - so many questions Matsu1 7 407 04-18-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Matsu1
  Help reading OSCAR data JenniferJuniper 24 1,387 04-18-2024, 10:17 AM
Last Post: JenniferJuniper
  [CPAP] Help with OSCAR data to help improve sleep Akaharu 7 305 04-18-2024, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Akaharu

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.