Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Interpretation Questions - My OSCAR Data
RE: Interpretation Questions - My OSCAR Data
Note that your flow limits are increasing as your "pressure support" goes minimal.
Min pressure of 7 will provide the Maximium "pressure support" of 3 cmw all the time.

Your choice is how fast to raise the min Pressure. Note: the min EPAP will be 4 with a min pressure of 7 so IPAP 7 / EPAP 4 to start
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2019, 09:17 AM)JoeyWallaby Wrote: I still can't find it but you might find these interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr08K5IfzzY&t=49m53s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=istwsAD6toI&t=4m25s

Those videos are great!  I wish I'd seen them on day one. Many thanks!! (They are in my sig)
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night's data..

What changed?  EPR fixed at 3 -  Bumped Min Pressure from 4 to 7 to guarantee "Pressure Support" of 3

What's next? Guessing - Keep stepping Min Pressure by 1 per night

Comments: Fewer mask removals in the past few nights. Still need more total hours sleep though.
Tonight is my untitrated sleep lab (number 3).  So no data here tomorrow.
Still seeing inhalation flat tops due to flow limitations.

Symptoms/Subjective:
Several conscious awakenings. Still waking too early and too alert but not refreshed. Not getting enough total sleep. Fogginess and Lethargy (think jetlag).   Body pains non-existent.  Dry mouth, Dry nose (congested) , puffy baggy sliitty eyes.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Excellent description of RERA and flow limitations and machine algorithms from @Sleeprider here

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid324000
Post Reply Post Reply
Flow limitation is certainly tolerated by insurance and most doctors, but it does not reflect ideal respiration, and can result in more arousals. It is mildly present in the close-ups of flow rate by ApneaQuestions. We can see pressure support is at 3 with pressures of about 8/5 in these images. The only way to further resolve the flow limits is either higher pressure or more pressure support such as you would get with a Vauto. Not too many people regret getting a Vauto, but it's hard to be reimbursed by insurance when efficacy is this good on CPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bingo!
Doc came through with a prescription for Resmed Aircurve VAuto
She must have bought my arguments about waveforms and pressure support using the OSCAR waveforms (even with a low AHI)
The machine will be zero cost for me due to my annual out of pocket maximum being met for the year.

I'm still tweaking the APAP Autoset though to see how far I can take that machine as an experiment over the next few days waiting for the VAuto to arrive.
It continues to be a great learning opportunity.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nice win! Looking forward to seeing the difference.

I asked Supersleeper to check your attachment space, and it appears you have plenty left. Did you delete any? We show you are currently using 3.4 MB of 9.77 MB (35%) in 36 Attachments
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2019, 07:11 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Nice win!  Looking forward to seeing the difference.

I asked Supersleeper to check your attachment space, and it appears you have plenty left.  Did you delete any?  We show you are currently using 3.4 MB of 9.77 MB (35%) in 36 Attachments

Yes... I seem to have been very lucky with my sleep Doc & Tech. 
When I read the pain that some people are going through to get prescriptions and upgrades I can't believe how easy it has been for me.
I did try very hard to keep them in the loop at all times and ask for their opinions... I think that was appreciated and they stayed on my side.

---------

Thanks for checking the attachment space.  Yes I deleted my sleep report which was quite large (11 pages).
I mentioned that in passing in #66 http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid324008

I have deleted my sleep reports to save space.  I was not getting any feedback on them so they were presumably uninteresting. Maybe my narrative was all you really wanted.
I can give access to them via google drive if anyone feels they really need to see them but missed them before they went.

I think my attachment space must have bumped up somehow because I was right at the limit... the system was rejecting any further attachments.
I'm not sure what a "preferred member" is.. but apparently I am one!  Maybe that bumps up attachment space based on post count or something like that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Continuing to document what I learn as I learn it....

When coming from zero knowledge and confronted by a bunch of graphs it's not immediately obvious what they all mean and how they can be used.
This explanation will hopefully remove the mystery for newbies (like me) trying to figure out what the machine is doing and why.
This description is specific to the Resmed 10 Autoset because its behavior may be slightly different from some other machines.

Why does the pressure step upwards?
Because the machine thinks it detected one of three things (see the clinician's manual to verify that statement)

The device analyzes the state of the patient’s upper airway on a breath-by-breath basis and delivers
pressure within the allowed range according to the degree of obstruction. The AutoSet algorithm
adjusts treatment pressure as a function of three parameters: inspiratory flow limitation, snore, and
apnea.

So the machine will step up pressure if it sees any of the following..
a) An OBSTRUCTIVE apnea (clarified by @Bonjour below) ... not sure if it also responds to hypopneas.
b) Something "significant" changing in your flow limitations  ( exact definition of "significant" is unknown to me but I have some suspicions)
c) Something "significant" changing with your snoring

Why does the pressure start to decrease?
Because the machine has not recently detected any of the three "Up pressure" conditions.  (exact definition of "recently" unknown to me but you can guess by looking at graphs)

So how might you put this knowledge into practice?

1) Take a look at anybody's graphs and make sure that the machine is really a Resmed S10 Autoset
2) You could look at my graphs for example if you don't have your own data
3) Look at the pressure curve and spot where it stepped "up"
4) Look at the events to see if an OBSTRUCTIVE apnea happened just before the step up
5) If you can't spot an "event"... then look to see if the "Flow limit" curve got noisy or spiky
6) If you can't spot that either... look to see if the "snoring" curve got noisy or spiky
7) You just figured out why the machine did what it did!

This is "obvious" for people who have figured it out.
Hopefully this post helps make it "obvious" for my fellow newbies.

Here's another spin on the same information

1) Look at my most recent graph (scroll up a bit or click here http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/attachm...?aid=18122)
2) There's not many events... right?
3) So why is the pressure doing anything at all?
4) Now look at the "flow limits"
5) Also take a quick peek at the snoring
6) Conclusion... it's responding to the flow limits (when there are no events and no snoring)

This also helps to explain some of the reasons why the faq on organizing charts says which graphs to emphasize. (see my sig for that link)
The reason for hiding the calendar and the pie chart is so that people can easily see your settings without needing to ask or remember.
The reason for hiding the right side-bar is because it doesn't tell us anything.

For a similar easy to understand explanation of how to spot RERA/UARS related phenomena... click here..
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid323859
Post Reply Post Reply
A minor clarification, only OBSTRUCTIVE Apnea triggers an increase, the algorithm triggers a 'do nothing' state on a central apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any insight on this data from OSCAR? jake79 2 123 Yesterday, 08:49 AM
Last Post: jake79
  Help Adjusting Settings based on Oscar data rygonzo93 5 139 04-19-2024, 10:07 AM
Last Post: rygonzo93
  EPR questions juniper 7 284 04-19-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New - so many questions Matsu1 7 405 04-18-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Matsu1
  Help reading OSCAR data JenniferJuniper 24 1,383 04-18-2024, 10:17 AM
Last Post: JenniferJuniper
  [CPAP] Help with OSCAR data to help improve sleep Akaharu 7 302 04-18-2024, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Akaharu
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 207 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.