Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Interpret troubling flow & respiration rates
Interpret troubling flow & respiration rates
I'd appreciate an interpretation of a set of graphs from 12/22-23/15 sleep, which I hope to post next in this thread.

Thinking the strange-to-this-newbie Flow graphs I've been seeing were distorted by ECR3, I set ECR to zero (for the first time) last night. I selected the worst of several resulting examples which I hope will be permitted and shown in my next (8th) post.

As the graphs show, the Flow limitations are not that lengthy, high nor coincident with the sawtoothing and the Leak is moderate.

Yes, it appears that the many top-outs of Respiration
Rates above 50 reflects counting many, maybe all, of the local sawtooth peaks between two successive flow minimums (one "breath").

Using ECR3 my AHI's have been running <1.0 and near or at zero; the related Flow wave forms have a lot of "bumps" but do rise to and fall from a definite maximum in each cycle.

I have a CMS50I on order and am guessing it would have shown a lot of desats last night.

Maybe with this post I'll have 8 posts and will be permitted to (learn and) use appropriate links to Imgur. I hope including the surprisingly large image in my next post will be OK this time

I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Interpret troubling flow & respiration rates
Here, I hope, are the graphs I mentioned--or a link to them.

(12-24-2015, 03:21 AM)2SleepBetta Wrote: I'd appreciate an interpretation of a set of graphs from 12/22-23/15 sleep, which I hope to post next in this thread....

Maybe with this post I'll have 8 posts and will be permitted to (learn and) use appropriate links to Imgur. I hope including the surprisingly large image in my next post will be OK this time

[Image: WNhQsYh.png]

I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
Those wiggles in the flow rate are being interpreted as a transition to/from inhale; sending the computed BPM artificially high.
Are you snoring during the time interval?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree and yes Mongo I have seen Hunt for the Red October a number of times. I am also wondering if the jagged flow rate curves may be due to a machine problem.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi 2SleepBetta,

To see your true respiration rate, count only the deep exhalations (the deep excursions downward in the Flow). Looks to me like your true respiration rate was about 15 or 16 breaths per minute, which is very common.

Perhaps you were snoring?
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 12 196 6 minutes ago
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Is This Flow Limitation Cause for Concern? bertchintus 4 228 8 hours ago
Last Post: bertchintus
  [Treatment] Relationship between EPR and Flow Limitations earnerd 4 178 11 hours ago
Last Post: earnerd
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 161 Yesterday, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Please help interpret data to improve treatment length during the night GalaxyPast 3 120 04-14-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: GalaxyPast
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 13 644 04-14-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  can someone help me interpret these? Mshull 4 199 04-11-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.