Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Interpretation..
RE: Interpretation..
(12-22-2015, 07:57 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(12-22-2015, 05:26 PM)justMongo Wrote:
(12-22-2015, 05:16 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: You have an unusual inspiration/expiration ratio of about 2.5:1.0 (exhale longer than inhale).

I think you mean inhale longer than exhale.

Expiration time is usually about twice the inhale time -- so good catch as it does seem unusual.
The medical significance is unknown to me.

Exactly. My dyslexic interpretation should be reversed.
I think it's because of the anxiety, the way I deal with trying to get used to the cpap, just started on thyroid medicine, having a heart condition yada yada. Maybe will get better with time. Want to see my cardio after Christmas. I dunno. Tomorrow Im seeing my GP cuz I also suspect I have adrenal fatigue. Im a scrapyard.

Mark

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-22-2015, 07:57 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(12-22-2015, 05:26 PM)justMongo Wrote: Expiration time is usually about twice the inhale time -- so good catch as it does seem unusual.
The medical significance is unknown to me.

Exactly. My dyslexic interpretation should be reversed.

Interesting. My inhale times are generally much longer than my exhales. As a youth I did a lot of singing and flute playing and learned to inhale with my diaphragm, and I still do this out of habit. My sleeping in breath goes up fairly steeply, then rises more slowly for a bit, and then again rises quickly to the maximum, then drops down to full exhalation very quickly. The out breath curve is much steeper than the in breath curve.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Ed, that is the normal situation, and true for me as well. There are some who have inverse inspiraton /expiration ratio, and I can't find that it has any significance at all. In the Beginner's Guide to Sleepyhead, the article does not assign any significance to the issue, and it really doesn't come up on internet searches. Generally the normal range seems to be 3:1 to 1:1, but as we see here, there are folks out there with 1:2.5+
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-22-2015, 10:13 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Ed, that is the normal situation, and true for me as well. There are some who have inverse inspiraton /expiration ratio, and I can't find that it has any significance at all. In the Beginner's Guide to Sleepyhead, the article does not assign any significance to the issue, and it really doesn't come up on internet searches. Generally the normal range seems to be 3:1 to 1:1, but as we see here, there are folks out there with 1:2.5+
And as I detailed look at my graph, I have every breathing pattern known to man in there lol.

Mark

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-22-2015, 10:13 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Ed, that is the normal situation, and true for me as well. There are some who have inverse inspiraton /expiration ratio, and I can't find that it has any significance at all. In the Beginner's Guide to Sleepyhead, the article does not assign any significance to the issue, and it really doesn't come up on internet searches. Generally the normal range seems to be 3:1 to 1:1, but as we see here, there are folks out there with 1:2.5+

Well mine seems to be five or six seconds on the inhale, and one second for the exhale. Based on looking at detailed flow rates on a few random nights and times when I am pretty sure I was asleep.

I'm not worried by it since I've obviously been doing it for many years and haven't woken up dead yet.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-22-2015, 11:04 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:

Well mine seems to be five or six seconds on the inhale, and one second for the exhale. Based on looking at detailed flow rates on a few random nights and times when I am pretty sure I was asleep.

I'm not worried by it since I've obviously been doing it for many years and haven't woken up dead yet.
Well, Ed and Sleeprider, thats kind of how I feel also. I wake up every morning. Its just the getting to sleep thats my big issue.

Im picking up a Dreamware mask tomorrow and giving that a try. What the heck.

Mark

Post Reply Post Reply

I suppose it might be "a" normal situation for inhalation to last twice as long as exhalation, but I think it is not "the" most common situation.

If I look at the suggested guidelines for setting the inhale period in the setup manual for my backup machine (S9 bilevel Auto machine), when using Spontaneous ("S") mode the setup manual appears to suggest it is most common for the inhale period to last about one third of the time between one breath and the next. This would make exhalation last about twice as long as inhalation.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Once again, I manged to describe it backwards in the ratios above. Yes, exhale is generally longer than inhale. The very long inspiration rates and very short exhale of a couple charts I have seen lately, are interesting, but as I said, there is no good information out there on its significance if any.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, folks, I woke up today with no headache. I actually felt good enough to go to my shop and finish fixing the heater on my Vette. I havent been to my shop in a week and a half. My AHI was around 4 and today my anxiety level is really low. Still had to take 1/2 an Ambien to get over the hump but hoping that may stop soon.

Saw my GP and theres a few other things I need to taper off on so I actually think (with caution) that things are looking up.

Mark
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Mark. Glad to hear the good results.

If you are a GTOdude how come you have a Vette???

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 244 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  APAP Trial - First Night's Results - Interpretation? Juicy 9 4,177 03-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
Smile How is my OSCAR data looking? Help with interpretation deirdrepen 3 227 02-29-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Inconsistent sleep - OSCAR interpretation dadjackets 2 267 02-21-2024, 11:58 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  AutoSV data interpretation assistance needed PappaJoe 21 687 02-11-2024, 09:38 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  [CPAP] Help with data interpretation and pressure settings Strange54 3 362 01-25-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Need help with flow limitation interpretation Clementine39 6 444 01-14-2024, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.