Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Interpreting CA events
RE: Interpreting CA events
I agree, but pressure is currently fixed at 6 because the doctor wrote the Prescription that way and I am still early in the compliance period. I know how to change the mode but I don't want to appear uncooperative. I am collecting lots of data to show the doctor at our next meeting.

Zooming in on the flow graph, I see patterns that look like Cheyne-Stokes, which I am keeping an eye on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2016, 08:43 PM)Sn00zeAlarm Wrote: I agree, but pressure is currently fixed at 6 because the doctor wrote the Prescription that way and I am still early in the compliance period. I know how to change the mode but I don't want to appear uncooperative. I am collecting lots of data to show the doctor at our next meeting.

I see - that makes sense. I had a similar concern when I first started, but my pressure range needed some work, and my DME told me that insurance didn't give a damn what I did to the settings - they only cared about usage. It's very cut and dry.

You could always call your insurance to confirm how they define "compliance." If they don't care about settings and your DME reports you as uncompliant, well guess what? You have the DATA on your SD card to support that you ARE! You can even generate the exact same compliance report that your DME would send insurance, using the ResScan software! like
Post Reply Post Reply
Even though your pressure is 6 and your EPR is set to 3, your Resmed machine will not go below 4 so, in effect, you have an EPR of 2.

The pattern surrounding your CA is somewhat reminiscent of Cheyne-Stokes Respirations. If it were me, I would bring this up to my sleep doc.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
This morning (after the dog woke me at 530 wanting to go out) I never really got back to sleep. I drifted in and out for almost an hour and the graph shows lots of this Cheyne-Stokes-like pattern. So it may just be an artifiact of being half awake - I think I read that somewhere. Anyway, all of my apnea events, of whatever type, look a lot like this on the Flow graph, just of varying severity, which the classification algorithm sorts differently.

A couple months of data should show wether it is anything to worry about. Overall AHI is staying under 2 even counting these borderline events. I have been having mild sleep apnea problems for over 30 years (now that I know how to recognize the symptoms) so I am not too worried.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2016, 01:18 PM)tmoody Wrote: I want to amend what I posted above. For diagnostic purposes, central apnea requires more than 50% centrals AND an AHI>5. Since your AHI appears to be well under 5, the handful of centrals wouldn't be a reason to change therapy. At least, that's how I've (finally) come to understand it.

Hi tmoody,

For diagnostic purposes, central apnea usually requires more than 50% centrals AND the number of centrals per hour >5.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 352 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 102 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 269 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  Help interpreting iMatrix resvent Data Adamby1047 0 100 03-16-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Adamby1047
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 178 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.