Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Interpreting Daily Oscar Reports
Interpreting Daily Oscar Reports
I'm seeing a new sleep physician on Wednesday.  I'm gonna try and send is assistant my oscar data.  I know the "Clear Airway" is central events, but what is the difference between the "Obstructive" and "Hypopnea"?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Interpreting Daily Oscar Reports
Hypopnea - From the Apnea Board Wiki - http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Hypopnea

Obstructive Apnea - From the Apnea Board Wiki - http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_(OSA)
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
To see how they define the different types of apnea see the bottom of the post. All but clear airway are obstructive apnea. The only difference is the amount of obstruction.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2021, 03:28 PM)staceyburke Wrote:  All but clear airway are obstructive apnea. 

I do not understand.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's... not entirely true I don't think? An obstructive event is when your breathing is greatly reduced (or stops) because your airway is obstructed... a clear airway event (i.e. usually a central apnea) is when your breathing is greatly reduced (or stops) but your airway is clear - i.e. it's not from obstructive sleep apnea.

But hypopneas can ALSO be obstructive or central, too. It's just that they're not always defined as such necessarily. Though I guess in the case of the Resmed algorithm, that might be the case, if it's only reporting obstructive hypopneas. And many doctors automatically assume all hypopneas are obstructive, even if they aren't. But you can definitely have central hypopneas, too.
Post Reply Post Reply
Löwenstein's machines distinguish between central and obstructive hypopnea as seen in PrismaTS.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, Resmed just flags them as "hypopnea" but I'm not sure if that covers all hypopneas or just obstructive ones.
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed just flags them as Hypopnoea they can be either Central in nature or Obstructive
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 100 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Help interpreting iMatrix resvent Data Adamby1047 0 98 03-16-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Adamby1047
  Interpreting Oscar values SleepingTight 0 139 03-10-2024, 06:53 PM
Last Post: SleepingTight
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,036 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  Help interpreting non-obstructive events in OSCAR needsleeps 14 767 03-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Last Post: needsleeps
  Help interpreting Oscar results stanley61 10 472 03-03-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: stanley61
Gross Need help interpreting data and making adjustments tiredandexpired 13 584 03-01-2024, 10:07 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.