Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Interpreting Garmin watch sleep report
Interpreting Garmin watch sleep report
I wear a Garmin watch that monitors heart rate, and provides a sleep report using Garmin Connect.

Last night it reports
* 7 hours 9 minutes sleep
* 48 minutes deep sleep
* 6 hours 21 minutes light sleep

This is pretty typical. Best is perhaps 1 hr 30 minutes.

I'm concerned. Why can't I have longer deep sleep intervals?
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Interpreting Garmin watch sleep report
Why?  My guess, and that's all I can offer you, is that...……………………...……………...………………………….it suffices.

Does your app give you an approximation/guesstimate of sleep efficiency?  What does that figure tell you?  My Samsung Gear S2 tells me, via its controlling on-my-phone app called SHealth, what the sleep efficiency was.  If it's north of 95%, I'd say you are doing really well.

However, and more directly, it could be that you are experiencing arousals that prevent you from entering, or remaining in, deep sleeps cycles.  You aren't obviously aware of this, but it doesn't mean it's not happening.  You'd need a sleep lab for this, or readouts from software that claims to be able to detect RERA's. (Respiration Effort Related Arousals)  If we could see several days worth of data posted in OSCAR by you...…...………...

See OSCAR in the top blackened marquee.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-12-2019, 12:06 PM)DaveL Wrote: I wear a Garmin watch that monitors heart rate, and provides a sleep report using Garmin Connect.

Last night it reports
* 48 minutes deep sleep

The first question probably shouldn't be "Why can't I have longer deep sleep intervals?" but "Is the Garmin sleep reporting accurate?". It's based on actigraphy and heart rate variability. Garmin's own study claims 70% accuracy in scoring sleep stages compared to home PSG testing, but the study specifically excluded people on CPAP.

The next question is what is a "normal" or average amount of deep sleep for randomly selected subjects not on CPAP as scored by the Garmin? The study I linked to says 15.5%. Based on your 7 hour and 9 minute sleep time, 15.5% would be 1 hour and 6 minutes. Your amount of deep sleep isn't all that far off the average in the study. And the amount of deep sleep decreases significantly with age according to this graph from the study, so your amount of deep sleep could be average for your age group:

Post Reply Post Reply
I use what looks like a Fitbit clone and a phone app called VeryFitPro. It sounds like it is like Garmin without the navigation functions. It detects sleep by movement and heart rate.

I feel tired if I get less than 1 hour 30 minutes deep sleep. I feel better if I get 2 or 3 hours. I am not saying this is normal. I wish I could get the heart rate data on Oscar.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a Garmin until I cracked the screen and wore it in the salt-water pool. I would get a lot of variation on deep sleep and could approach 3 hours hat times out of 8. Normally about 1.5 to 2 hours. I think the watch is highly dependent on movement to determine sleep stage.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-12-2019, 02:56 PM)Stom Wrote:
(09-12-2019, 12:06 PM)DaveL Wrote: I wear a Garmin watch that monitors heart rate, and provides a sleep report using Garmin Connect.

Last night it reports
* 48 minutes deep sleep

The first question probably shouldn't be "Why can't I have longer deep sleep intervals?" but "Is the Garmin sleep reporting accurate?". It's based on actigraphy and heart rate variability. Garmin's own study claims 70% accuracy in scoring sleep stages compared to home PSG testing, but the study specifically excluded people on CPAP.

The next question is what is a "normal" or average amount of deep sleep for randomly selected subjects not on CPAP as scored by the Garmin? The study I linked to says 15.5%. Based on your 7 hour and 9 minute sleep time, 15.5% would be 1 hour and 6 minutes. Your amount of deep sleep isn't all that far off the average in the study. And the amount of deep sleep decreases significantly with age according to this graph from the study, so your amount of deep sleep could be average for your age group:
Thanks so much! That helps.
* my new sleep doc increased my pressure from 11 to 13 so I would enjoy more time in deep sleep. Glad he did.
I recently increased it to 14, and set EPR for the first time.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-12-2019, 03:05 PM)RNeil Wrote: I use what looks like a Fitbit clone and a phone app called VeryFitPro. It sounds like it is like Garmin without the navigation functions. It detects sleep by movement and heart rate.

I feel tired if I get less than 1 hour 30 minutes deep sleep. I feel better if I get 2 or 3 hours. I am not saying this is normal. I wish I could get the heart rate data on Oscar.

Thanks.
I seldom get more than 2

I feel tired most days. I'm trying to increase my time asleep.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-12-2019, 03:12 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I had a Garmin until I cracked the screen and wore it in the salt-water pool.  I would get a lot of variation on deep sleep and could approach 3 hours hat times out of 8. Normally about 1.5 to 2 hours.  I think the watch is highly dependent on movement to determine sleep stage.

I wanted to know heart rate.

sleep report is a bonus.

I doubt it's accurate....I try to compare OSCAR to Garmin without much luck.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
OSCAR is my primary tool that truly helps my treatment for sleep apnea.

My Garmin watch is convenient. However, it's main use is for sleep hygiene. How much time did I spend asleep? Did I actually have any "deep sleep"? And it lets me know what my resting heart rate was.

I expect that a more modern Garmin watch would be even better. However, budget restrains.... Smile
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-12-2019, 08:35 PM)DaveL Wrote:
(09-12-2019, 03:12 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I had a Garmin until I cracked the screen and wore it in the salt-water pool.  I would get a lot of variation on deep sleep and could approach 3 hours hat times out of 8. Normally about 1.5 to 2 hours.  I think the watch is highly dependent on movement to determine sleep stage.

I wanted to know heart rate.

sleep report is a bonus.

I doubt it's accurate....I try to compare OSCAR to Garmin without much luck.

Today I'm waiting on a replacement iPhone to arrive since I wore that into the salt water pool too. Dont-know
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 102 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Help interpreting iMatrix resvent Data Adamby1047 0 100 03-16-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Adamby1047
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Interpreting Oscar values SleepingTight 0 139 03-10-2024, 06:53 PM
Last Post: SleepingTight
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,041 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  Help interpreting non-obstructive events in OSCAR needsleeps 14 772 03-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Last Post: needsleeps
  Help interpreting Oscar results stanley61 10 473 03-03-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: stanley61

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.