Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Medical baseline: saving a dollar a day on electricity bill thanks to CPAP
Medical baseline: saving a dollar a day on electricity bill thanks to CPAP
My electricity comes from PG&E in Northern California. They have a "medical baseline" program for customers who need electricity for healthcare equipment. Mostly it's there to provide advance warning of power outages. Not a big deal for me and my CPAP. But it also contains a price break on electricity rates. It's possible other utilities in the US  have similar rate plans and it might be worth signing up for them if you haven't.

PG&E has a long list of medical conditions that qualify; one of them is using a CPAP machine. Getting qualified wasn't hard. I filled out a form on PG&E's website and was given instructions to give to my doctor to verify my health condition. The doctor logged into a website and attested to my CPAP usage. And then a few weeks later I was on medical baseline. I don't love sharing health details with my electricity company but, well, here we are.

The savings amounts to about a dollar a day. I'm on the older E1 PM Residential rate plan; I pay by tier. Medical baseline gives me an extra 16.4 kWh/day that qualifies for the cheaper Tier 1 rate. The tier price difference is about $0.07, so I'm saving just about $1.10 / day assuming I use up all that allotment. Note that a CPAP machine uses well under 1 kWh/day so this allowance is overly generous for this usage.

These note are all PG&E specific but I bet other utilities do something similar. There was an older discussion on this topic that includes some comments on other electricity companies.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Medical baseline: saving a dollar a day on electricity bill thanks to CPAP
Interesting, thanks for the info.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I checked our Ontario Hydro, and yes they have a "Critical Accounts" form that includes CPAP. You also have to get the doctor to fill out a form. It looks like the benefit is that they call you to tell you your power is out (thanks ! lol). They might also bump your outage up the list in the case of multiple outages (could be handy in a large storm scenario).
Couldnt find any financial advantage though, that stuff has to be based on income or race.
Post Reply Post Reply
Awesome!  Thank you for the info.  I've never heard of this kind of thing before.  Will be checking my power utility.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 9 1,564 04-23-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  REBATE on your Electricity bill [Australia] libster 0 195 02-05-2024, 07:27 PM
Last Post: libster
  Does Medicare Require An Annual Recertification of Medical Necessity? AndyB 10 1,067 11-17-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: AndyB
Question Is it possible to measure your baseline apnea events with CPAP? hejohoo 5 684 08-10-2023, 04:25 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  My medical provider called me, they want to schedule my titration study. Should I go? Phil487 8 1,118 07-06-2023, 01:18 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  Saving time/date in ResMed S9 vpap adapt Ed in SoDak 4 502 06-18-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Ed in SoDak
  Navigating medical leave zoraa 2 487 06-04-2023, 12:25 PM
Last Post: zoraa

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.