Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Interpreting OSCAR, Clusters of Central Apnea
RE: Interpreting OSCAR
You need an Adaptive Servo Ventilator (ASV) which will resolve all of this. Show your results to your doctor and ask for a titration that evaluates ASV. You have a somewhat urgent need to get this evaluation. If your pre-CPAP AHI was less than 20/hour, then discontinuing therapy is a reasonable temporary solution. This kind of central apnea will not resolve with more time. If your insurance is not adequate or your doctor not responsive to your needs, we will help direct you to the therapy you need at the lowest possible price. Don't waste time. We can't help you with your current machine, and you need to resolve this central apnea problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, I will call my doc tomorrow and insist on an office visit to discuss the issues. I believe you all are correct, but I was told the sleep lab is not doing any tests right now, so my options are limited. I have Medicare, so I don't believe cost is an issue.

Attached is a screenshot from my Garmin 245. I'm sure it's not as good as a true oximeter, but it consitantly shows my SPo2 levels too be low over night.

Thank you all for your responses.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your words on the Garmin are that "you know that the results are not likely accurate, but can we follow up an get good overnight numbers. "

Those numbers do need to be investigated.
Post Reply Post Reply
FYI, your Garmin numbers indicate a need for supplemental oxygen during sleep. I'm assuming that that was with CPAP?

Please action on this ASAP!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Since medical necessity for supplemental oxygen is 89% and you are showing a lowest of 77%, this says to me you need to get something done ASAP not soon. Tell the jokers that are supposed to be your medical care team they have work to do to help you now not sometime soon. They need to be made to pay attention to this data.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, with CPAP, but before I got CPAP it was low then too. The lowest I've seen (during sleep) is 72% and the highest was 90%.

I will call my doctor tomorrow morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
To be clear, supplemental oxygen while using CPAP is under their watch, your sleep medicine doctor/team is responsible to do this. Without CPAP it would be your PCP.
Post Reply Post Reply
I talked to my doctor today, he wants to change my pressure to a constant 10 instead of the variable pressure which is now set 5-18. The highest my pressure has gone since I started therapy is 7 or 8. We will try this and on Monday, 4 days from now he will call me back. If this helps, we will leave it there and monitor until my May 28 follow-up visit. If there is no change, he will order an in-lab sleep study, which he thinks I will probably need. He has called the DME provider and they will make the change today.

The next step would be a bipap machine, this will depend on the changes we see come Monday.

In order for there to be justification for ASV my AHI numbers must be at least 50% of the apneas.

As far as the low O2 levels, we will see what Monday's data looks like. The low numbers I have seen are not constant, they are brief periods during the night. He said brief periods are acceptable, but extended periods of low O2 are not.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2020, 01:57 PM)letsrun100 Wrote: I talked to my doctor today, he wants to change my pressure to a constant 10 instead of the variable pressure which is now set 5-18. The highest my pressure has gone since I started therapy is 7 or 8. We will try this and on Monday, 4 days from now he will call me back. If this helps, we will leave it there and monitor until my May 28 follow-up visit. If there is no change, he will order an in-lab sleep study, which he thinks I will probably need. He has called the DME provider and they will make the change today.

The next step would be a bipap machine, this will depend on the changes we see come Monday.

In order for there to be justification for ASV my AHI numbers must be at least 50% of the apneas.

As far as the low O2 levels, we will see what Monday's data looks like. The low numbers I have seen are not constant, they are brief periods during the night. He said brief periods are acceptable, but extended periods of low O2 are not.

Your doctor is correct, brief periods of low O2 levels are not a concern.  Eyeballing your Garmin data said about 50% is below 90%, minutes below 88% is justification, IMHO per your Garmin data you are there, the question is how reliable is that data?  Thus the need to measure with the doctor's equipment.

Prepare a bunch of screen prints to take in with you.  You want to show that you frequently have CA events in excess of 5 CAI and frequently have CSR with 10 minute views of the flow rate during the CSR so he can see the pattern.

Here is a wiki to read on ASV http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...P_Machines
Post Reply Post Reply
Justifying Advanced PAP Machines” and “Sleep Lab Titration Guide” previously sent by Sleeprider, are interesting reading. Depending on my data findings on Monday and during my follow-up visit, I may need to discuss these items further.

So, last night I taped my mouth while using my F30i. I woke a few times noticing the tape, but went right back to sleep. I didn’t wake up a much as I usually do because of leaks. Hopefully, I won’t have any trouble with my new nasal mask when it arrives tomorrow. I find it hard to sleep with all the junk on my face.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 572 4 hours ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 102 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,517 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 859 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.