Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Interpreting Sleepyhead data
Interpreting Sleepyhead data
Happy New Year Forum Users,
I've been doing pretty well with my cpap, coming a long way from when I started in July 2016. In fact, in the last week or so I had three nights where I had no events. So I am getting more used to things, plus I am having better results. And I even successfully traveled with my machine over Christmas. It turned out to not be a problem, although I imagined it would complicate things.

But here is my question:
In 2017 I hope to become more proficient interpreting the sleepyhead data. Looking at last night I did not have many events (AHI .57). But I just lately have noticed that if you hover over the line representing the event on the graph, a number comes up. I have to assume that is how long the event lasts. One event lasted 87 seconds, which seemed like a long time to me. (I've had some even longer ones before but usually they are between 10 and 30 seconds). On the graph just below, that shows your breaths, it corresponds that I stopped breathing. Because of the machine I realize that oxygen was still being pumped into my lungs. So I assume that the longevity of the event would not cause any organ damage. I guess I'm just wondering why the event would last so long - would that indicate that there is a pressure problem. Or just what would be the conclusion you would come to as to why it was so long - does something need to be done? Or would you consider this to just be pretty normal in the world of sleep apnea?

I would greatly appreciate your input because this is a matter of concern to me.

Sleepytimegal
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Interpreting Sleepyhead data
What type of event are you referring to? Was it an obstructive, hypopnea, or Clear Airway?

Your AHI is low, so it probably isn't too concerning, but for peace of mind, try to download a screenshot. See my signature line for instructions.

You may also want to start looking over the beginners guide to SH.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you zoom in on the flow rate line during that event, you can see the actual respiration or lack of it. Some Hypopnea events can be of a long duration, but there is breathing during that time. Anytime you have less than 1 event per hour you're doing fine. Good to hear things are finally working better. You're due.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You don't have to hover over the event to find the duration of the event. Go to the events tab on the Daily screen on the left of the page then you will see all of your events with the length in seconds next to each one in paranthesis. Double click on the one you want to examine and it will zoom you in to that event on all graphs.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Opal Rose, I had bad luck tonight. I followed the instructions to get a screenshot and ended up with one in my downloads. (I didn't get a choice of what file to put it in.) When I enlarged it I saw the date was Jan. 2015 and I wasn't even using the machine at that time. Very strange. So I tried to go back into Sleepyhead to try doing it again. It told me another version was running, but it allowed me to get to the Statistics page, but not the Daily page. It said there was a problem and the program had to close. I shut down my computer and tried again but the same thing happened. I finally gave up and realize that I'm not going to be able to access it again (except the statistic page, if it updates).
So I'm guessing that I need to uninstall it and start over? I'm not too happy about that because I had trouble getting it in the first place.

I guess I'm just wondering if you have any suggestions or would you agree that I just need to start over?

Sleepytimegal
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2017, 03:45 PM)sleepytimegal Wrote: Because of the machine I realize that oxygen was still being pumped into my lungs. So I assume that the longevity of the event would not cause any organ damage.

Sleepytimegal

This statement needs some clarification. The machine does not pump air into your lungs. It creates a higher pressure to act as a stent to keep your airway open. By doing this, more air can enter your lungs unobstructed when you breathe in. (the machine will increase the airflow by maintaining the set pressure) If you totally stop breathing, the machine will create just enough pressure to provide for the venting of the mask. There is no air going into your lungs. You have to breathe for that to happen.

If you have a total 'flat line' for 87 seconds you are not getting any oxygen for that period of time. In my first sleep study I had 90 second obstructions during REM sleep. My oxygen sats dropped to 60%.
I'm sorry I don't have enough experience to advise you, but something certainly does not sound right.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cands, Thank you for your answer. I was afraid I wasn't getting oxygen. I tried to do a screenshot for further clarification, but my sleepyhead program stopped working in the process and I think I'm going to have to uninstall it and start over tomorrow. The screenshot I got was from Jan. 11, 2015 when I wasn't even using the machine, so bizarre things were happening.
I understand how it works now thanks to your explanation. I might talk to my sleep doctor when I get the program going again. I first want to see what the experts here think of the screenshot and what's going on. It's almost scary to even go to sleep now, knowing all the things that going on.

Sleepytimegal
Post Reply Post Reply
sleepytimegal,
Wish I could help you with your SH issues.

Suggestion:
Post a question in the software support forum on the problems you are having. Be specific, and list your computer/operating system. Someone there will be able to help.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-03-2017, 01:36 AM)sleepytimegal Wrote: Cands, Thank you for your answer. I was afraid I wasn't getting oxygen. I tried to do a screenshot for further clarification, but my sleepyhead program stopped working in the process and I think I'm going to have to uninstall it and start over tomorrow. The screenshot I got was from Jan. 11, 2015 when I wasn't even using the machine, so bizarre things were happening.
I understand how it works now thanks to your explanation. I might talk to my sleep doctor when I get the program going again. I first want to see what the experts here think of the screenshot and what's going on. It's almost scary to even go to sleep now, knowing all the things that going on.

Sleepytimegal

With a screenshot, what you see, is what you get. Just use the F12 key and Sleepyhead stores a screenshot in your Documents under the sleepyhead/screenshots folder.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 99 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Help interpreting iMatrix resvent Data Adamby1047 0 97 03-16-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Adamby1047
  Interpreting Oscar values SleepingTight 0 138 03-10-2024, 06:53 PM
Last Post: SleepingTight
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,034 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  Help interpreting non-obstructive events in OSCAR needsleeps 14 766 03-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Last Post: needsleeps
  Help interpreting Oscar results stanley61 10 468 03-03-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: stanley61
Gross Need help interpreting data and making adjustments tiredandexpired 13 583 03-01-2024, 10:07 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.