Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure Level and BiPAP
Pressure Level and BiPAP
I have a ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto.  I’ve had it for a couple years I think.  Anyway, about 2 months ago I noticed that my pressure wasn’t getting AHI below 5 on a consistent basis.  I think I’ve had my AHI below 5 maybe 2 days over the last 2 months.  I turned my ramp off and increased my pressure.  I think I am at a 18 now with no ramp.  My average AHI is like an 8 or so. I had a Telehealth appointment with my Sleep Doctor.  He pulled up my data on my machine. He said that he noticed a couple central events happening. I don’t think he said how many days I’ve been having central events.  He just mentioned that he saw some.  I think he said that my average pressure was around 17. Anyway, he ordered me a BiPAP machine.  I have no idea if it will help.  I haven’t ordered it yet because it’s incredibly expensive and I have great insurance! My Doctor didn’t mention adjusting pressure and/or settings on my current machine. 

With my current machine how do I find out what pressure settings I should be using?  I’m not sure I fully understand my settings.  There is the start pressure, minimal and maximum pressure.  Let’s say I have the start pressure at 14 with ramp on auto and the minimum at 17 and maximum at 20.  I know once I put the machine on it obviously starts at 14, but when will it jump to 17?  As  soon as I get to sleep does it automatically jump to 17? Or is it a more gradually process getting to 17? Then will it stop at 17 and not go back down lower the whole night? Also, should I down OSCAR?  Is there any place I could get a BiPAP machine cheaper without going through insurance?  If so, how would I find out what pressure settings I need?  Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to make sense out of everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pressure Level and BiPAP
(05-18-2020, 05:17 PM)lbl82 Wrote: I have a ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto.  I’ve had it for a couple years I think.  Anyway, about 2 months ago I noticed that my pressure wasn’t getting AHI below 5 on a consistent basis.  I think I’ve had my AHI below 5 maybe 2 days over the last 2 months.  I turned my ramp off and increased my pressure.  I think I am at a 18 now with no ramp.  My average AHI is like an 8 or so. I had a Telehealth appointment with my Sleep Doctor.  He pulled up my data on my machine. He said that he noticed a couple central events happening. I don’t think he said how many days I’ve been having central events.  He just mentioned that he saw some.  I think he said that my average pressure was around 17. Anyway, he ordered me a BiPAP machine.  I have no idea if it will help.  I haven’t ordered it yet because it’s incredibly expensive and I have great insurance! My Doctor didn’t mention adjusting pressure and/or settings on my current machine. 

With my current machine how do I find out what pressure settings I should be using? I’m not sure I fully understand my settings.  There is the start pressure, minimal and maximum pressure.  Let’s say I have the start pressure at 14 with ramp on auto and the minimum at 17 and maximum at 20.  I know once I put the machine on it obviously starts at 14, but when will it jump to 17? As  soon as I get to sleep does it automatically jump to 17? Or is it a more gradually process getting to 17? Then will it stop at 17 and not go back down lower the whole night? Also, should I down load OSCAR?  Is there any place I could get a BiPAP machine cheaper without going through insurance? If so, how would I find out what pressure settings I need?  Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to make sense out of everything.

Download OSCAR first thing... then we can get a better look at your situation, by Posing a Screenshot. Click on the daily tab upper left hand corner to open event flags, flow rate and pressure graphs and show the full graph of these three.

File View Data Help

left click on view.... and then left click screenshot.
Make sure you don't cut off any of these three graphs I mentioned above.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pressure Level and BiPAP
yes download OSCAR and post daily charts (see the organize link to get the most important charts) Be sure to include the flow limit chart

Let's see what you have before considering a VAuto, let's see if your AutoSet can handle it. We are pretty good at getting you to where you need to be, it starts with an evaluation of where you are at.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 962 Today, 03:24 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Bi-Level Help, Prisma 25ST Macka 0 85 03-21-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Macka
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,010 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 466 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 587 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 156 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.