Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Intro, New Dx, Questions!
RE: Intro, New Dx, Questions!
(10-10-2013, 06:05 PM)Sleeper999 Wrote: AHI of 12 isn't very high. I wondered if other things might be tried first such as losing weight (if indicated). I.e. anything that might help reduce the AHI. If that pushed it down a bit then perhaps no need for a machine? Does anyone have any experience of reducing AHI successfully without a machine when the AHI wasn't much over 10 to begin with?
I do need to lose weight, but honestly I need to lose quite a bit, so I don't know that dropping 20 pounds would really help.

(10-10-2013, 06:15 PM)Sleeper999 Wrote: 2. Then the machine will follow and you'll know something is truly after you. Grin
Too-funny The image of that is about as hilarious as the (he was actually invisible) Best Buy salesmen that was hiding behind my curtains. That was 8 years ago, and my husband and I still laugh about it!

Thanks EVERYONE for all the information and laughs! I really appreciate it!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2013, 08:23 AM)SabrinaFaire Wrote:
(10-10-2013, 06:05 PM)Sleeper999 Wrote: AHI of 12 isn't very high. I wondered if other things might be tried first such as losing weight (if indicated). I.e. anything that might help reduce the AHI. If that pushed it down a bit then perhaps no need for a machine? Does anyone have any experience of reducing AHI successfully without a machine when the AHI wasn't much over 10 to begin with?
I do need to lose weight, but honestly I need to lose quite a bit, so I don't know that dropping 20 pounds would really help.

(10-10-2013, 06:15 PM)Sleeper999 Wrote: 2. Then the machine will follow and you'll know something is truly after you. Grin
Too-funny The image of that is about as hilarious as the (he was actually invisible) Best Buy salesmen that was hiding behind my curtains. That was 8 years ago, and my husband and I still laugh about it!

Thanks EVERYONE for all the information and laughs! I really appreciate it!

Unless you lose weight in the right place, i.e., around everything that collapses when you have apnea, it probably wouldn't help your apnea. Although weight loss is a good idea for all of us that need to lose weight for other health reasons, it won't necessarily cure apnea.

Do tell the details of our invisible best buy salesman hiding behind your curtain!! Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2013, 06:05 PM)Sleeper999 Wrote: Do tell the details of our invisible best buy salesman hiding behind your curtain!! Dielaughing

It was one of those night terrors. At the time my then-fiancé had his own comic book store and since it didn't open until 1pm, he would stay up considerably later than me. One night I went to bed, only to wake up screaming an hour or so later. He ran into the bedroom to see what was wrong. I told him I saw an invisible Best Buy salesmen behind the curtain. (For non-US folks, Best Buy is a big box electronics store chain, the employees dress in khakis and blue polo shirts.) He asks, "Well if he was invisible, how were you able to see him?" I said, "He was see through, but I could see an outline of him." He responds, "So like The Predator?" I said yes. So I had a Predator-like Best Buy salesmen lurking behind decorative, crochet-like (thus, hiding nothing) pink curtains. Clearly they will stop at nothing to get you to buy that extended warranty.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2013, 09:57 AM)SabrinaFaire Wrote: ...SNIP
What do you wish you had known from the get-go with this whole sleep apnea thing?

Thanks in advance!

I wish someone had explained *ALL* the various mask options, the PROs and CONs of each type, and had taken the time to find a mask that was comfortable to *me*.

Lots of opinions on what the best machine is, whether or not heated humidity is needed (for me it is!). As the machines aren't cheap, try to get the best one you can afford ($$$) data-capable is a real plus to help you figure out if it's working well for you.

Better machines are quieter. Hose tangling for me has never been an issue.

It seems for most of us that mask issues are the biggest hassle, comfort, leaks, etc...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2013, 07:53 PM)Tez62 Wrote:
(10-10-2013, 07:47 PM)me50 Wrote: I haven't named it though so I guess you have me beat on how much I love my CPAP lol

me50, my CPAP's name is 'Silvie' (Silver Resmed Autoset), I tell my wife I'm going to bed with Silvie and I think she get jealous lol. Silvie never complains, never argues, doesn't ask for much except a bit of water and electricity and she keeps me alive. What more could a man ask for?:grin:

Hehe - mine is called my 'dream machine', never gave her an actual name (yet) - it's a her to be sure as she is very demanding! Wants water all the time, wants me to clean her body for her, and blow her nose for her, and carry her where-ever she goes...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

me50, my CPAP's name is 'Silvie' (Silver Resmed Autoset), I tell my wife I'm going to bed with Silvie and I think she get jealous lol. Silvie never complains, never argues, doesn't ask for much except a bit of water and electricity and she keeps me alive. What more could a man ask for?:grin:
[/quote]

Silvie is a cheap date!! Now if you could convince her to bring in a little income to help with the expenses of every day living..........Dielaughing
[/quote]

me, another friend that I met online has named hers Wanda 2 as her name is Wanda and my sister has named hers Sylvester as she also has a Resmed Autoset
Post Reply Post Reply
Well now I want to name mine. Maybe once I see her a name will come to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sabrina, I may have started something here lol, I find making it personal helps the adjustment period, I believe if we look at things with a positive attitude we have more chance of continuing usage than people that take a negative attitude towards it. For most of us it is a life saving device or at least makes our life more comfortable, good luck with your naming
Post Reply Post Reply
I got my machine yesterday after work and used it last night. First, at the respritory place, they didn't have me pick out a machine or try to sell me one they had one already set up for me. I thought that was odd, but since it was one of the ones on the list that's posted upthread, I didn't argue. (Phillips Respironics Pro System One) The gal showed me how to use it and told me all about it. I'm to send in the SD card in 2 weeks so they can download the data and send it to my doctor. That's just for initial set up though, I don't have to do that afterwards. The mask I got is a Quattro FX For Her. It's pink. I hate pink. I'm so not a girly girl. But whatever, I really don't care if it doesn't match my PJs, and no one sees it but the cat and my husband anyway! First night went OK but I had a few issues.

1. And probably most importantly, I forgot to feed my cat. Hobbs is diabetic and gets 4 small meals instead of 1 or 2 bigger meals. I was off my routine and forgot to put his food in the autofeeder before I went to bed. He expressed his displeasure around 3AM. Don't worry, he's fine. Smile

2. I seemed to have a lot of leakage at first and I couldn't figure out why since it fit just fine and didn't do that in the office when the tech had me try it out. After I came back from feeding the cat I remembered that she said I might need to adjust straps since sitting in the office is different than laying in bed. After that it was fine.

3. By 3 the humidifier was out of water by 3. I had it set to 3, which is what the tech said to set it to, but maybe I need to set it lower. It makes an annoying noise when it's out of water.

4. I feel like I didn't sleep much. My husband said I was sleeping every time he woke up (he went to bed after me) but I feel like I was awake a lot. I'm sure that's just needing to get used to it though. I didn't hate wearing the mask, so there's that.

Also, I've decided to name her Ripley after Sigourney Weaver's character in Alien because the thing reminds me of a face hugger. Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
Good name, it takes time getting used to it, some people get used to it on the very first night for others it takes time and patience. I don't use that CPAP but think anything in the Phillips range with Pro in its name is not data capable, all that means is that you won't be able to take the data off yourself and read it yourself in future. A lot of us like taking our therapy into our own hands over time. The CPAP will be fine to use though. With leaks you just need to adjust the straps very slightly either a bit tighter by not to much at a time. You don't want it so tight that it marks your face.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 160 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 272 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 267 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 308 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 467 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  Some advice with aperia and intro cpap kit ifsmithy 2 310 12-18-2023, 12:42 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,600 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.