Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Intro, Thanks and a couple of questions
Intro, Thanks and a couple of questions
I am new to all this. Recently diagnosed with sleep apnea. The results of which are not pretty and were disturbing to me. But it did open my eyes to a lot of problems that I'm having and why. So after visiting this site and another, I was able to arm myself with enough info to be able to make informed decisions about my treatment.

During titration, they found out that cpap would not work. They settled on 20/16 using a bi-pap machine. This brought O2 levels back to normal and events down to acceptable levels. It also moderated my snoring but still over the top according to the tech.

I received my equipment on this past Monday. I could not get the clinician to answer any in depth questions on the settings nor ops of this machine. She said "you don't need a manual or the software cause all your going to do is Use, Clean and Don't unplug". Great, gotta love those detestable "Daddy knows what's best for you" LIBERALS.

Many thanks to all those people who's posts I've read, the manual and software that I downloaded. It has all been a tremendous help.

Now on to the questions. For those that are using the machine that I am (resmed aircurve 10 VAUTO).
Ti min and Ti max; Her settings: (.2/2.0) Mine: (1.0/4.0).
What are yours and why? Please.
Trigger and Cycle Sensitivity; Her settings: (med/med)
Mine: (very low/very low)
What are yours and why? Please.
My wife doesn't like the snoring and thought it was going to stop. Any suggestions.
Again, THANK YOU TO ONE AND ALL!!!

LEE
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Intro, Thanks and a couple of questions
Hi Lee, Welcome to the Board!

I'm not sure what you mean by "Her settings" and "Mine". Please explain this.
The values you are asking about define the structure of the devices response to your respiration pattern and should either be left at the medium (default) settings or changed to values directed by your doctor in the prescription that was given from your sleep study. It is not often that anyone moves off the default values and if they do it is because the data from their machine or their personal respiration experience with the machine over time leads them to do it.

Ti Max is the maximum time spent in IPAP, default = 2.0 s
Ti Min is the minimum time spent in IPAP, default = 0.3 s

Trigger is the inspiration level at which the device switches from EPAP to IPAP default = med
Cycle is the inspiration level at which the device switches from IPAP to EPAP default = med

Do you have a copy of your prescription? If not you should get one. If so does it define these settings?

Have you been using the machine and if so what settings have you been using? Do you feel it is providing a comfortable respiration pattern? Are you using software to look at the detailed data?

P.S.
What are your settings for I max, E min, and PS?
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the response.

Her setting: the clinician from my dme.
My setting: the settings I settled on.

I was just wondering if anyone had moved these settings off of the defaults. No that info is not spec'd out on the script. The only spec is I max:20 and E min:16 PS is not listed due to the machine on S instead of auto.

Yes to using machine. Yes to software (rescan). Changing the Ti settings have been very helpful. I couldn't take normal breaths due to lack of time for inhalation. As far as being comfortable, well, let's just say I'm getting there. Some things in life you just have no choice in and just have to persevere. This ordeal being one of them.

Lee
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the predecessor to your machine - S9 VPAP Auto. MobileBassett is right about the default values. My S9 VPAP Auto is set at the default values for Ti min., Ti max., trigger and cycle.

I had an S8 VPAP Auto prior to my S9 and the idiot that set it up set the Ti max = 4.0 and the Ti min = 2.0. I had to change these back much closer to the defaults and reset either my trigger or cycle one notch in order to solve one operation problem and one detection problem. Keep in mind that the S8 as far as I am concerned is a little more crude than the newer machines. The problem that the Ti max and min adjustment straightened out was one where the machine would get out of sync with my breathing and run off and do its own thing and nothing I could do short of shutting down and restarting would correct it.

The change to trigger or cycle was to correct an occasional double counting of my respiratory rate. I do not remember offhand which one I changed or which direction I changed it. Whatever I did had the desired effect.

I was started at the same EPAP and IPAP pressures as you. It sounds like they went higher than what was necessary to control the apneas in order to correct desats. If that is the case that may be why the RT does not want you messing with the pressures. I would recommend that you do not adjust pressures unless you get a good pulse ox machine that will store a nights worth of data and that you can wear while you are sleeping.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi uawelder,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you in getting used to and fine tuning your CPAP therapy, I know it can take some getting used to, good luck to you.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, I see.
Yes, some do change these settings. Hopefully they will respond as to their specific reasons.

Your settings are out on the edge, you must be a 6 sigma kind of guy Smile Maybe you will get around to trying the auto after a while. If you don't already have a recording oximeter you might want to get one so that you can be checking your adjustments as you make them to confirm your O2 is holding.
You can find device reviews and recommendations on the forum.

I am very happy with my VAUTO and have been successful in adjusting it to provide excellent therapy. I hope you have the same success.
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all your replies.
Just trying to get used to the pressure settings. I drove my wife from our bedroom last night. The flatulence was just to much for her. I suspect this is a side effect of swallowing air during therapy.
She wants to know if this goes away or if is just a side effect from the pressures I've been prescribed.
Also any ideas about the lack of relief from the snoring.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is not a side effect. It is the direct effect!!! It may go away and it may not. I was titrated to the same IPAP and EPAP that you have and have the same machine one generation back. I had no problems with aerophagia for the first 3 or 4 years and then back in April of this year it started. Only difference is that I did not start passing gas until I was awake in the morning. On the other hand my midsection was sore when I woke up.

I have been able to ameliorate the problem for myself and I will tell you how I did it when you tell me that you have a pulse ox meter with which you can collect oxygen saturation data the whole night.

I do not sell pulse-ox meters. I just want you to make sure that you do not do damage to yourself by getting into an area of oxygen deprivation based on the reported fact that you desatted during your sleep test and they had to raise your pressure above what was necessary for your apneas in order to get your blood oxygen back in line.

The other thing that you should do is to talk to your doctor about your aerophagia.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
PaytonA
Thanks anyway Daddy.
Post Reply Post Reply
-deleted by poster-
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In a quandry over a couple of things... SheShells23 51 869 14 minutes ago
Last Post: Dormeo
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 151 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 307 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  Some advice with aperia and intro cpap kit ifsmithy 2 310 12-18-2023, 12:42 AM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.