Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Intro and anyone using those mouth things?
Intro and anyone using those mouth things?
Hi. Just joined and need to look at my machine so I can say what I have. This is my second one and all I know is no humidifier (hated my old one which had one) and it's a CPAP. I'm at 13 and probably need to increase. My insurance doesn't cover anything till after I hit my deductible which I never will so I am trying to be frugal here. My old insurance paid for masks every 6 months and filter etc were free. I'm kicking myself for not stocking up while I could. My masks are all pretty shot and I just resewed velcro onto the only headgear I have left. Have the original nasal aire which I loved and then got the two which I hated because the part you stick in your nose was so pliable? that it never sealed correctly. I have a pierced nose and am not taking the ring out unless I have to which I didn't even do when I had surgery a few years back!

I have heard a bit about something that goes in your mouth that a dentist makes that can allow us to not use CPAPs. Not sure about that but would like more info. I'm addicted to my machine and don't even nap without it.

Anyway, enough chatter about me for now. Glad to be here! Hope to meet others.:grin:
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Intro and anyone using those mouth things?
Welcome Barefoot, if CPAP is working for you stick with it, you sound like you just need to get your mask sorted. Most dental devices cost around $1000 and in the majority of cases don't work. CPAP is a gold standard treatment, so stick with it Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi BarefootMostly,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I don't use a mouth guard so I'm unable to answer your question, but hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the oral device that pushes and holds the lower jaw forward. I found it uncomfortable and didn't like the feeling that my bite was out of adjustment when I got up in the morning. Also, it was not covered by insurance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the responses. I had only heard/read the good things about the mouth guards. I figured they were less than perfect. I've been using CPAP for close to 15 years now. I don't mind it just wish I could roll over or sleep facing the other way sometimes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-31-2014, 11:44 PM)Tez62 Wrote: Welcome Barefoot, if CPAP is working for you stick with it, you sound like you just need to get your mask sorted. Most dental devices cost around $1000 and in the majority of cases don't work. CPAP is a gold standard treatment, so stick with it Smile

I've heard even higher prices around $3000 for custom fitted ones down to $100 or so for boil and bite or one-size-fits all adjustable types.

Great if they work. Unlike a good CPAP machine, you don't get any data on whether you're still having apneas. They may also be uncomfortable or cause TMJ problems.

They only work if moving your jaw forward fixes your apnea. Not everyone's apnea is caused by the jaw being too far back, or you can't move your jaw forward enough to fix the problem, etc.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2014, 03:58 PM)archangle Wrote:
(08-31-2014, 11:44 PM)Tez62 Wrote: Welcome Barefoot, if CPAP is working for you stick with it, you sound like you just need to get your mask sorted. Most dental devices cost around $1000 and in the majority of cases don't work. CPAP is a gold standard treatment, so stick with it Smile

I've heard even higher prices around $3000 for custom fitted ones down to $100 or so for boil and bite or one-size-fits all adjustable types.

Great if they work. Unlike a good CPAP machine, you don't get any data on whether you're still having apneas. They may also be uncomfortable or cause TMJ problems.

They only work if moving your jaw forward fixes your apnea. Not everyone's apnea is caused by the jaw being too far back, or you can't move your jaw forward enough to fix the problem, etc.

My apnea is caused by being fat. Not going to lie about it! If I would lose weight it probably would go away along with my diabetes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2014, 09:30 PM)BarefootMostly Wrote: My apnea is caused by being fat. Not going to lie about it! If I would lose weight it probably would go away along with my diabetes.

Well that is a very common thing Barefoot. And you may be correct that if the weight was reduced the symptoms of diabetes and apnea would subside.

If I were to offer you a magic pill and say take this every night and tomorrow you will have a lot more energy, begin to lose some of that weight and do a lot more things with your life other than doze off in your plate of mashed potatoes, would you sign up for it? Of course you would.

The extra energy could very well cause you to lose some of that weight even if you don't specifically try to do that. ...and even if you stay heavier than you would like, and as we know it's pretty darn hard to go the other direction, at least you will be rewarding your heart, lungs, gizzard, and many other parts with a new lease on life.

So you do have that magic pill. It's on your nightstand, or sitting near your bed somewhere. Once you really embrace and become accustomed to the therapy you will probably, as I and so many others have come to do, take the vow..... What is the vow? "If anyone thinks they can take my cpap from me they'll have to pry it from my cold, dead nosie!"
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2014, 10:08 PM)retired_guy Wrote:
(09-01-2014, 09:30 PM)BarefootMostly Wrote: My apnea is caused by being fat. Not going to lie about it! If I would lose weight it probably would go away along with my diabetes.

Well that is a very common thing Barefoot. And you may be correct that if the weight was reduced the symptoms of diabetes and apnea would subside.

If I were to offer you a magic pill and say take this every night and tomorrow you will have a lot more energy, begin to lose some of that weight and do a lot more things with your life other than doze off in your plate of mashed potatoes, would you sign up for it? Of course you would.

The extra energy could very well cause you to lose some of that weight even if you don't specifically try to do that. ...and even if you stay heavier than you would like, and as we know it's pretty darn hard to go the other direction, at least you will be rewarding your heart, lungs, gizzard, and many other parts with a new lease on life.

So you do have that magic pill. It's on your nightstand, or sitting near your bed somewhere. Once you really embrace and become accustomed to the therapy you will probably, as I and so many others have come to do, take the vow..... What is the vow? "If anyone thinks they can take my cpap from me they'll have to pry it from my cold, dead nosie!"

Lol, Before my first CPAP got destroyed, (accidentally was turned upside down and left that way while full of water so motor was ruined), I kept that one in the living room for when I wanted a nap. I still won't close my eyes without mine! I nap because I have three small grand kids who are here most days. They wear me out! I haven't had a new sleep study in several years and can't afford to pay out of pocket, My health insurance costs a fortune but it doesn't pay for a lot of things I need. I kind of want to push my pressure up a bit and see if that makes a difference. Now if you have a magic pill that will make me lose weight...I use Walgreen pharmacy!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Dieting is a bit like CPAP. It would probably cure you. Unfortunately, lots of patients have a problem with "diet compliance.' CPAP is a lot easier.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In a quandry over a couple of things... SheShells23 53 919 3 hours ago
Last Post: SheShells23
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 33 10 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 376 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 588 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.