Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Intro and new set up question
Intro and new set up question
Hi. Just completed sleep study and was told I have significant sleep disorder, without being given any specifics as consult with the doctor is not for another couple months. Prescription was faxed to the sleep equipment provider and I picked up trial DreamStation Pro with AirFit F10 mask.

I tried it out once I got home after inserting distilled water. I took a 16 minute nap, took the SD card and mapped it to Sleepyhead that I installed, and I get the following stats:

AHI: 10.9
Hypopnea Index: 7.27
Clear Airway Index: 3.63
Average Leak Rate: 1.86
90% Leak Rate: 2.00
% of time above leak rate threshhold: 0%

Of course the Sleepyhead front message says: You had an AHI of 10.90, which is considered horrible, please consult your doctor. You only had the mask on for 0 hours, 16 minutes and 30 seconds.

What do these numbers mean?

I notice that there is lots of air blowing outside of mask around where the hose connects to the mask. Is this normal?

Thanks much, and look forward to learning on this board Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Intro and new set up question
Hi wayne99 and welcome to the forum!

You did a 16 minute nap. Not sure that's enough data to give it a real test, but I'll let those with more knowledge comment on this.

Best thing you can do is be compliant and use your CPAP regularly for best results. Keep us posted!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Even 16 minutes can tell you something. It means your sleep study was not wasted and your need for the CPCP was a good call. As for any thing more than that, wait until you have more data.

I can go 5 hours without the first event and end up an 8 hour night with an index over 6. That's 48 events in 3 hours.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi wayne99,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck with your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all.

Yes, was a short nap early in the day. I set up for the night, managed to go 88 minutes with AHI of 31.08, with 0% leak, max pressure of 11 and min of 8. I found that during some of the "sleep" I would wake up gasping for air, and in my attempt of taking a large breath, the machine would stop producing air flow toward end of deep breathing (gasping) and I'd panicked because I'd have a feeling of having no oxygen left. After a few times like this, I had to stop the therapy and take off the mask. I tried again this morning and tried to be mindful to be more relaxed. It will be a learning curve Smile

I honestly had no idea things were this severe. I briefly mentioned to my doctor that I don't sleep all that well because my wife elbows me in the night to stop me from snoring and this effects her sleep as well. He sent me for the sleep study and I thought is was a bit of a waste of time and tax payer's money. Prescription was given before consult with sleep doctor as they told me it is quite significant. Only now do I realize that I have a bit of a sleeping issue. No wonder I am tired all the time Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some advice with aperia and intro cpap kit ifsmithy 2 310 12-18-2023, 12:42 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Day 3 - Intro & Initial Concerns DivaBreather 3 365 09-13-2023, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Millstone50
  New Member Intro and OSCAR charts DaveInDenver 2 429 08-11-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: DaveInDenver
  dgilluly Intro and APAP Settings Thread dgilluly 4 667 08-14-2021, 06:51 PM
Last Post: dgilluly
Question Intro + DreamStation Performance Error Codes pennstump 4 4,793 07-21-2021, 03:27 PM
Last Post: LindanHotAir
  New member - intro nickanti 7 976 06-09-2021, 05:25 AM
Last Post: nickanti
  Newbie Intro EngineerBoo 57 4,763 04-09-2021, 05:11 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.