Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Intro and questions
Intro and questions
Hello everyone. I had a sleep study done 30 March, diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and placed on BiPAP. Been on my machine for 3 1/2 weeks now and not really getting the hang of it. Having a hard time getting used to having something on my face and while I start out on my back I typically try to roll over to one side or the other at some point in the night and I typically wake up because the mask is pushed open on the side opposite the pillow causing the air to rush out and wake me. I can't seem to get the mask to fit me correctly (wearing the nasal mask right now) and my wife says she can hear me snore throughout the night meaning I am opening my mouth. I have an appointment to see my doctor again on the 29th where she will review the results of my first six weeks of usage. I can get into the admin settings of my machine and I review my AHI daily. One day it may be 2 and the next day it may be at 35 (max has been 46). So my questions are;

1. How long did it take you to get used to wearing a mask?

2. Are you able to stay sleeping on your back all night or do you roll over?

3. How tight do some of you wear your mask? Really tight or hanging loose? I know a loose mask will most likely lead to a large leak number.

My pressurize air settings right now are 9/5, but I don't want to mess with them as they were set by my doctor before my machine was delivered and I want to see what she has to say if they need adjusting.

Appreciate any input or advice from anyone who may be able to help me get adjusted. Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Intro and questions
1. 30 seconds.

2. Sometimes. Preferrably, but hip/knee pain issues play a part in this.

3. Not tight enough to leave marks. Uninflated, it is a little loose, but when it is inflated, the cushion stays sealed against my face.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2015, 01:52 AM)wxmcpo Wrote: Hello everyone.

1. How long did it take you to get used to wearing a mask?

2. Are you able to stay sleeping on your back all night or do you roll over?

3. How tight do some of you wear your mask? Really tight or hanging loose? I know a loose mask will most likely lead to a large leak number.

My pressurize air settings right now are 9/5, but I don't want to mess with them as they were set by my doctor before my machine was delivered and I want to see what she has to say if they need adjusting.

Appreciate any input or advice from anyone who may be able to help me get adjusted. Thanks in advance.

Wave Howdy. Welcome.

Took me about a month to get used to my mask. Now I feel weird laying down without it. I use a hybrid. Mirage Liberty. It is a nasal pillow with a mask covering my mouth. Works great for me. I tried a pillow and chin strap at titration and it just fell off or came loose and was ineffective.

I don't always sleep on my back all night. I'd like to but my old bones ache and I have to roll to a side to give my hip/leg joints some relief.

As far as how tight, tight enough to prevent leaks. Not much of an answer, sorry. I don't wear it tight enough to cut off blood flow to my face though. Smile
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
1) Still getting used to it after two months - some nights I find myself taking it off. I fall asleep quickly now though and recently started to sleep a full 8 hours.
2) After about a week I realized I didn't have to sleep on my back and I figured out a way to sleep on my side and not have mask leaks. It takes a bit of pillow sculpting and isn't as comfortable as sleeping on my side without the mask.
3) I have it pretty tight
Post Reply Post Reply
1. Not long. I started out watching TV or reading with it on, just to get used to
it. I use nasal pillows which is probably easier than your mask.

2. I start out on my side, but turn a lot due to hip pain. If I wake up during the
night, I notice I'm on my back.

3. With a nasal pillow mask, it's easier to wear fairly loose without getting a lot of
leaks. If I wake up and notice air leaking, it's usually because I've turned over
and bumped it. Doesn't happen too often.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi wxmcpo,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I didn't have any trouble getting used to the machine and mask, but it takes some people quite a while to get used to it. What you could do is, wear your mask and use the machine during the evening as you read or watch tv. Another thing is, after trying the mask you are using for a while and you just can't get used to it,don't be shy about trying different masks, as there are many of them out there.
You might need a chinstrap to help you keep your mouth closed.
Sometimes I wind up on my back but when I discovered I have done that, I turn over to my left side.
I don't wear my mask really tight because it's more uncomfortable and isn't necessary.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2015, 01:52 AM)wxmcpo Wrote: ...I know a loose mask will most likely lead to a large leak number...

True, but too tight can also be a problem.

Here is one thing I had to learn on my own (the DME wasn't going to bother with telling me). Adjust the mask laying down with the pressure on. With the pressure off, it will feel loose and you will probably tighten it too much in response. But pressure can make it tighter, so just like Olympian swimmers practice in a pool instead of in their living rooms, adjust it under the real circumstances of the therapy.

You need to emulate Goldilocks and get it "just right"
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the responses and suggestions. I have been using the Sleepyhead software, but still learning how to interpret the data. If I were to take a screenshot to get some assistance from the forum what information would I need to post? Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='wxmcpo' pid='113275' dateline='1431591910']
Thanks for the responses and suggestions. I have been using the Sleepyhead software, but still learning how to interpret the data. If I were to take a screenshot to get some assistance from the forum what information would I need to post? Thanks
[/quote

Preferably Screenshots of:

Event Graph
Flow Rate Graph
Pressure Graph
Leak Rate
Snore and Flow Limitation Graphs

Also include the left Side Bar. You can hide the calendar. Do not include the right sidebar.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I find lubing up the nasal openings with nipple cream is a big help.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EPR questions juniper 5 186 Yesterday, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 166 Yesterday, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
Question [Equipment] Airsense 11 Questions tblaster 2 150 04-02-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: tblaster
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 246 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 360 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 308 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 332 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.