Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

Sex: Male

RE: Intro and questions
(05-09-2012 09:09 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  You mean the steroid sprays? Yes, they are "addictive" in that your nose gets so used to them, it can't function without it.

I think he's referring to the decongestant nasal sprays, like Afrin, that are available over the counter. They are highly addictive and there's even a label warning telling you to not use for extended periods of time. If you have sinus problems, avoid these like the plague. They are way too addicting.

Steroid sprays, like Nasonex, will make me hyper and interfere with my sleep. I didn't know they were addicting. Is Nasonex available over the counter now, or do you still need a prescription?

I use Astelin, an antihistamine nasal spray.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-09-2012 10:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

(05-07-2012 10:16 AM)Sweet72947 Wrote:  Well, losing weight isn't that easy, so I insisted on the machine, and I'm glad I did! I use a nasal mask and for the most part it doesn't bother me.

It should make it easier to lose weight, too, as a good night's sleep reduces cravings for food.

Quote: What I'm having issues with is I swear the machine isn't blowing air out as strong as it should be. It is set to 6.0, but I can open my mouth and breathe through it as if I weren't wearing the mask at all.

You can easily verify that the pressure is 6 cm. Put a mark or piece of tape on the hose, 6 cm from the end. Fill up a pitcher with water and set it in the sink. Insert the hose into the water with the machine running. When 6 cm of the hose is submerged in the water, you should no longer see bubbles. If, for example, you only have to submerge 4 cm of the hose before the bubbles stop, then you know the pressure is only 4 cm.

Also, the most effective sinus rinse is the NeilMed sinus rinse kit. If you don't want to buy one, you can instead get a bulb syringe. Mix up a little solution of hot salt water, add a little baking soda to soften it if you like, suck some into the bulb syringe and squirt it into your nostrils while standing over the sink. If you find this too uncomfortable you can instead use a nettipot.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-09-2012 10:18 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Sleepster, after the move, you ought to put directions of how to make a manometer in the wiki.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Manometer

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

05-09-2012 10:21 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

(05-09-2012 10:21 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  Sleepster, after the move, you ought to put directions of how to make a manometer in the wiki.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Manometer

Yes, I agree... and I hereby nominate Sleepster to put his Manometer instructions in the Wiki. (I always like to nominate other people). Too-funny

Sleepster, seriously, only if you can find the time, of course. But, we've put Wiki edits on hold until after the server upgrade though... everything should be okay to update the Wiki by Tues or Wed, hopefully... I'll write a note in the Wiki Editors Forum when it's "all clear".

Coffee

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

05-09-2012 10:38 PM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

I'll do it. Sounds like fun.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

05-10-2012 06:30 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Ozone Offline

Members

Machine: Respironics PR-One Auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed: Mirage FX and Swift FX
Humidifier: PR-One
CPAP Pressure: Auto 8-12

Other Comments:

Indeed, I was referring to the classic otc decongestants like Sinex, Neosynephrine, etc. Frankly, most decongestant preparations wreak havoc with the cardiovascular system, and should be avoided by anyone with those issues, but the nasal sprays are just insidious. The saline sprays or Neti-Pot don't seem very effective at first if you are used to medications, but in the long run they do work and are much healthier. It's important, I think, to make sure that the nasal passages are well-moistened before using a nasal mask. I have found that a healthy saline spray before bed makes the cpap therapy much more comfortable (in addition to a well-regulated humidifier).
05-13-2012 11:39 PM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(05-13-2012 11:39 PM)Ozone Wrote:  I have found that a healthy saline spray before bed makes the cpap therapy much more comfortable (in addition to a well-regulated humidifier).
Ditto Great-info
05-14-2012 02:03 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Intro and new set up question wayne99 4 292 10-01-2016 08:19 AM
Last Post: wayne99
  intro/hoping to use wife's cpap temporarily fredflintstone 8 421 09-05-2016 05:57 AM
Last Post: cate1898
  Intro SleepyWabbit 21 3,468 07-02-2016 09:24 PM
Last Post: ForcedAirInduction
  Intro, Thanks and a couple of questions uawelder 9 1,427 08-29-2015 10:08 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Intro and a question. RestlessRN 10 1,283 08-29-2015 09:59 AM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Intro and request for advice Seabird 55 9,072 08-27-2015 01:46 PM
Last Post: Seabird
  New Member Intro: Auto or Set Pressure? Maudessen 12 2,164 06-04-2015 05:30 AM
Last Post: Mich