Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Intro and questions
RE: Intro and questions
(05-09-2012, 09:09 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: You mean the steroid sprays? Yes, they are "addictive" in that your nose gets so used to them, it can't function without it.

I think he's referring to the decongestant nasal sprays, like Afrin, that are available over the counter. They are highly addictive and there's even a label warning telling you to not use for extended periods of time. If you have sinus problems, avoid these like the plague. They are way too addicting.

Steroid sprays, like Nasonex, will make me hyper and interfere with my sleep. I didn't know they were addicting. Is Nasonex available over the counter now, or do you still need a prescription?

I use Astelin, an antihistamine nasal spray.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2012, 10:16 AM)Sweet72947 Wrote: Well, losing weight isn't that easy, so I insisted on the machine, and I'm glad I did! I use a nasal mask and for the most part it doesn't bother me.

It should make it easier to lose weight, too, as a good night's sleep reduces cravings for food.

Quote: What I'm having issues with is I swear the machine isn't blowing air out as strong as it should be. It is set to 6.0, but I can open my mouth and breathe through it as if I weren't wearing the mask at all.

You can easily verify that the pressure is 6 cm. Put a mark or piece of tape on the hose, 6 cm from the end. Fill up a pitcher with water and set it in the sink. Insert the hose into the water with the machine running. When 6 cm of the hose is submerged in the water, you should no longer see bubbles. If, for example, you only have to submerge 4 cm of the hose before the bubbles stop, then you know the pressure is only 4 cm.

Also, the most effective sinus rinse is the NeilMed sinus rinse kit. If you don't want to buy one, you can instead get a bulb syringe. Mix up a little solution of hot salt water, add a little baking soda to soften it if you like, suck some into the bulb syringe and squirt it into your nostrils while standing over the sink. If you find this too uncomfortable you can instead use a nettipot.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepster, after the move, you ought to put directions of how to make a manometer in the wiki.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...=Manometer

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2012, 10:21 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Sleepster, after the move, you ought to put directions of how to make a manometer in the wiki.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...=Manometer

Yes, I agree... and I hereby nominate Sleepster to put his Manometer instructions in the Wiki. (I always like to nominate other people). Too-funny

Sleepster, seriously, only if you can find the time, of course. But, we've put Wiki edits on hold until after the server upgrade though... everything should be okay to update the Wiki by Tues or Wed, hopefully... I'll write a note in the Wiki Editors Forum when it's "all clear".

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
I'll do it. Sounds like fun.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
Indeed, I was referring to the classic otc decongestants like Sinex, Neosynephrine, etc. Frankly, most decongestant preparations wreak havoc with the cardiovascular system, and should be avoided by anyone with those issues, but the nasal sprays are just insidious. The saline sprays or Neti-Pot don't seem very effective at first if you are used to medications, but in the long run they do work and are much healthier. It's important, I think, to make sure that the nasal passages are well-moistened before using a nasal mask. I have found that a healthy saline spray before bed makes the cpap therapy much more comfortable (in addition to a well-regulated humidifier).
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2012, 11:39 PM)Ozone Wrote: I have found that a healthy saline spray before bed makes the cpap therapy much more comfortable (in addition to a well-regulated humidifier).
Ditto Great-info

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 160 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 272 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 267 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 308 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 467 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  Some advice with aperia and intro cpap kit ifsmithy 2 311 12-18-2023, 12:42 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,601 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.