Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Introduction
Introduction
Hi Everyone,

I just want to say how pleased I am to discover this forum. I have been using a Philips Respironics DreamStation for almost exactly one year. I have also recently purchased a wrist-worn pulse oximeter, which I have used whilst asleep for the last week. Hopefully, I will find time later today to talk about measurements and questions that I have particularly about my mask which (I think) is an Amara View.

Thanks for having me here.

spinon
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Introduction
Welcome to the forum. Hopefully we can help you with your therapy if you are having issues. Advice on mask selection and fit will be most difficult. It is the most challenging aspect  of CPAP use. There are a number of forum members who use or have used the Amara View. The one thing I note that you may want to change is your minimum pressure. Most report feeling starved for air at a pressure of 4. There are several things you should do to get the most advantage from forum participation.
1) Download and install free OSCAR software https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/ It provides the data we find most useful.
2) Get copies of your complete sleep study and prescription. It's helpful if we can see a redacted copy of your sleep study.
3) Order a free copy of the clinical manual for your machine by going here https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual so you will be able to adjust settings as needed.

If your having mask problems see the mask primer (link below)
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello & welcome! This is a great site for information and support.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Melman,

Many thanks for your reply.

Starting with the topic of minimum pressure, it starts at 4 but ramps up to a maximum of 15. But, when first switched on at bedtime, it starts at around 10. I need to check the units for these figures - cm of H2O seems to ring a bell. With reference to the three points you have listed:

1) I will download and install the OSCAR software.
2) I will dig out all relevant information to my 'sleep study'. The term 'sleep study' seems a bit over-the-top for the system used in the UK. I will also get my prescription.
3) My CPAP machine is supplied by, and the property of, the UK NHS. I will not be able to make changes to the clinical settings. In order to make any changes of this nature, I would need to request these from my sleep clinician/therapist.

I will check out the mask primer.

spinon

(09-08-2019, 10:35 AM)Big Guy Wrote: Hello & welcome! This is a great site for information and support.

Hi Big Guy,

Many thanks for the welcome.

spinon
Post Reply Post Reply
the unit is cm of H20.
I didn't mention, but to use OSCAR you will need an SD card in your machine to collect data and a card reader for your computer if it doesn't have one.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
It might be property of NHS but you're the one using it, changing the settings doesn't mean 're-programming' the machine. You can change the settings as much as you want.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forums at Apnea Board.

You do have a say in what happens to you in the way of health and well-being, even if you are subject to the exigencies of a national health service.  If there's one thing we get drilled into us here ere long, it's that the comfort one feels about his/her treatment is every bit as important as what the treatment parameters and the data suggest to the nerds reading it.  The numbers say one thing, but the wearer, or patient, may feel that there is almost no palpable or imaginable benefit to his/her experience with the device and its current settings.

So, you should feel free to negotiate, at least, a modest change to settings if you find you are developing any doubts, any anxiety, feeling starved for air, and so on.  As an example, suppose the mask is wrong and you are getting leaks that awaken you. Of what use is the machine and its settings?!?  You aren't getting any rest or any other benefit, and could reasonably argue that you were sleeping somewhat better before commencing the treatment.

Just my thoughts on this.  I don't think you should diminish your own agency and your right to assert yourself for your own good.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am in the UK and there is no issue you changing the settings yourself. When you go back for your 30 day follow up just explain why you did it and the sleep nurse will be fine with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Guys,

I have finally got round to replying to all your valuable feedback. Taking the points raised:

[1] My 'sleep study' carried out in July last year talks about an AHI of 67 and desaturations of 78 per hour over a 6 hr 26 minute study. When I saw my Sleep Physiotherapist in March this year, my average AHI was 5.8. More recent data from DreamStation shows an AHI ranging from 1 to 14. This does not always correlate with mask fit data. To be honest, I don't know that I can trust mask fit data - it gives the impression that all is well varying from 90% to 100% with it being 100% most of the time.

[2] Regarding the clinical settings of my CPAP machine, I take on board your comments. Thanks, jaswilliams, for letting me know that you are also in the UK. I plan to phone my Physio this coming Monday and will talk to her about making changes to the settings.

[3] I have installed OSCAR. What data does it provide beyond the data that I get from the DreamStation?

A couple of weeks ago, I purchased a wrist-worn pulse oximeter made by Viatom. I have now collected sleep data with which I need some help. The SpO2 graph shows an average SpO2 of typically 94% with drops over 4% from 21 to 90 per night. The lowest SpO2 over several nights ranges from 78% - 85%. These data are from the last five days.

All feedback welcome.

spinon
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on your profile you are using a Philips Dreamstation with a wide pressure range of 4-15 cm. Your posts suggest you are continuing to see AHI from 1 to 14 and some notable SpO2 desaturations. I don't even need to see your data to tell you your minimum pressure is too low, because the Philips Auto is notoriously poor at preventing apnea and hypopenea unless the minimum pressure is optimized. What Oscar can tell us very quickly is what minimum pressure setting will work, and some other information that may help us to optimize your therapy results. If you presented to your "Sleep Physiologist" with an AHI of 5.8, why didn't they take some action to improve that?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member - Introduction cramseur 3 634 02-18-2022, 02:55 PM
Last Post: cramseur
  Introduction - Started 09-29-2021 omalley576 9 1,180 11-03-2021, 03:07 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [CPAP] New forum member introduction and questions Jadazu 7 1,038 05-18-2021, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Jadazu
  [CPAP] Introduction Knitman 133 7,874 02-04-2021, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Introduction and 1 week in darrenk 7 1,103 12-30-2020, 08:53 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Introduction- and Journey melodyknit0375 74 6,946 12-25-2020, 12:31 PM
Last Post: Knitman
  Introduction asheq 7 1,007 09-22-2020, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Cpapian

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.