Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Introduction - Just a few questions
RE: Introduction - Just a few questions
It is maxing because of your flow limits.  Your EPR needs to be raised to 3 to help manage that, and my guess it will not be enough.  Because your numbers are very good it is unlikely for you to .

easily get a BiLevel.

The all important question is how do you feel?

We can use a lower max if the pressure is bothering you .
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2019, 02:41 PM)bonjour Wrote: It is maxing because of your flow limits.  Your EPR needs to be raised to 3 to help manage that, and my guess it will not be enough.  Because your numbers are very good it is unlikely for you to .

easily get a BiLevel.

The all important question is how do you feel?

We can use a lower max if the pressure is bothering you .

Thank you!  Can you explain a bit how you interpreted that flow limits caused the max pressure and how that relates to me, based on this chart?  Sorry, I am a very results driven person and I like to understand everything haha.  

I must say, I feel great!  I work from home at my desk and I am definitely feeling better!  I didn't sleep as hard as I thought I would, but I think that's just getting used to everything.  I wouldn't say that the max pressure was bothering me, just wasn't expecting it. 

So, going forward tonight, do you think I should go with about 8-20 with EPR3?  Currently on 6-20 EPR2.
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed uses Flow Limits to increase pressure in its algorithms.
Place the flow limit chart right below the pressure chart and you will see the peaks of flow limits correspond to pressure increases.
Flow Limits can be thought of as the low end of a continuum from apnea, to hypopnea, to flow limits.
Look at a 2-minute view of the flow rate and see the misshapen waveforms, the nonsinusoidal, the flattening, those are flow limits.
The question is whether or not to pursue flow limits, many find they are not bothered by them, and if this is the case there is no need to "chase" them. Others are intensely sensitive to them and those should be "chased". The medical standard seems to be that if your AHI is under 5 then all is well, 'other' things are the issue.

Your numbers are good, make only one change at a time. Frequently when starting and the numbers are bad we will suggest multiple changes to get close and then make small changes, you are already there. Only change, set EPR = 3
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2019, 03:35 PM)bonjour Wrote: ResMed uses Flow Limits to increase pressure in its algorithms.
Place the flow limit chart right below the pressure chart and you will see the peaks of flow limits correspond to pressure increases.
Flow Limits can be thought of as the low end of a continuum from apnea, to hypopnea, to flow limits.
Look at a 2-minute view of the flow rate and see the misshapen waveforms, the nonsinusoidal, the flattening, those are flow limits.
The question is whether or not to pursue flow limits, many find they are not bothered by them, and if this is the case there is no need to "chase" them.  Others are intensely sensitive to them and those should be "chased".  The medical standard seems to be that if your AHI is under 5 then all is well, 'other' things are the issue.  

Your numbers are good, make only one change at a time.  Frequently when starting and the numbers are bad we will suggest multiple changes to get close and then make small changes,  you are already there.  Only change, set EPR = 3

Got it, that makes sense.  Last question for now, promise.  I was under the impression that the minimum pressure for this machine was 4.  So if I kept it at 6-20 and then raise EPR from 2 to 3.  Effectively, it would make no change.  So, shouldn't it be set to 7-20?
Post Reply Post Reply
Boy you're good. I missed that one but yes Min pressure should be 4 + EPR
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is my chart from last night, the 2nd night with the machine.  Any recommendations yet?  From what I see, the numbers look pretty good.  This was with 7-20cm, EPR 3.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
And how do you feel today? (Bonjour will want to know!)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Dave, How did you know that.

There is no standard to gage what acceptable Flow Limits are. We cannot get a BiLevel machine justified, nor would you need one if your therapy is meeting goals which you need and your numbers say that yes it is.  

so. . .  How do you FEEL?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, here are a couple more nights of recent data.  I feel great.  I wake up feeling a bit groggy but then I seem to pull out of it with more energy.  It has taken a bit to get used the mask.  I am not sure if it is the mask itself or the pressure that is taking some getting used to.  There have been nights where I unhook the hose or take them mask completely off without even knowing it.  Last night was the first night I have went 5+ hours of staying asleep and keeping it on.  With all of that said, do you guys feel I should make any changes?  Thanks for the help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Here is another night's data.  I am just curious of you guys think I should keep the current settings around 7-20?

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New - so many questions Matsu1 7 373 5 hours ago
Last Post: Matsu1
  EPR questions juniper 5 197 04-16-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 176 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
Question [Equipment] Airsense 11 Questions tblaster 2 152 04-02-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: tblaster
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 248 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 363 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 332 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.