Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Introduction, Leaks, Mask Differences and The Results
Introduction, Leaks, Mask Differences and The Results
Howdy Friends, 

I have been lurking on the board for a few months and now have a feel for the fantastic community here.

As a brief introduction, I was prescribed CPAP therapy back in 2007 with a Respironics REMStar M Series machine; used it for a number of years. Sadly I did not have any follow up from the Doctor, eventually stopped using it because of worn out masks & equipment. I had septoplasty surgery about 5 years ago in hopes that it would resolve snoring; alas here we are today and the surgery did not help. I've also tried numerous anti-snoring mouthpieces, but they are just too painful the next morning.

About 2 months ago I saw a Pulmonologist and did an initial at home sleep study which had all sorts of wires (EEG) etc. etc. which found an untreated AHI of 39, and severely fragmented sleep. Very minimal deep & REM sleep but lots of transitions between the other levels. No wonder I have always felt tired during the day.

After this diagnosis I did an in-lab titration study and given a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet with a ResMed AirFit F20 full face mask. The F20 is a very comfortable mask, and I really like the way it feels, but fought with crazy high leaks until about a week ago. I finally had enough and was so frustrated with these leaks that I resurrected my old Swift FX (had a new set of pillows) but the same somewhat worn headgear & frame. Huge difference not only in leak rate, but in treated AHI rate.

Full Face Mask
[attachment=14279]

Nasal Pillows
[attachment=14278]

I'm on day 49 of my new treatment and am just now starting to feel less daytime drowsiness. Previously sometimes I would hide under my desk at work and nap in the afternoon. I believe that I was suffering from REM rebound (wish I could do another sleep test to see what my deep & REM sleep times are now).

I'm anxiously awaiting the delivery of a AirFit P30i mask, which should hopefully arrive on Friday. Very grateful for the very thorough Suppliers List on the forum which directed me to alternate sources other than my DME which does only has a few options.

My main concern now are the Flow Limitations, but am not sure if this is a valid concern or not.

Zoomed in Flow Limitation
[attachment=14280]

Thanks, 
Arthur
Captain Steubing
The Original Captain of "The Love Boat"
Purveyor of presto magic, love and chaos!
My Personal Blog
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Introduction, Leaks, Mask Differences and The Results
Welcome aboard captainsteubing,

Glad to hear that you’re having reasonable success so far. Guru adjusters will give pointers soon enough.

We could have a virtual coffee if you want.

Coffee

Oh yeah it’s been a while since you did that show I’m thinking.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK Arthur,
 set EPR = 3 
Pressure = 9

This will maintain your EPAP at 6 and you should see a difference in Flow Limitations.

Why are you in CPAP mode? Why are you not using Auto mode?
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on getting back onto treatment!!!!!!!

Your story is nice to hear - after 49 days of persevering, you are experiencing good symptom relief. That's so great!!!

I don't have expertise to add, besides: find a mask that you like, and that'll be the one that keeps you on the treatment!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-08-2019, 08:24 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Welcome aboard captainsteubing,

Glad to hear that you’re having reasonable success so far. Guru adjusters will give pointers soon enough.

We could have a virtual coffee if you want.

Coffee

Oh yeah it’s been a while since you did that show I’m thinking.

Thanks Dave. Indeed, a virtual coffee sounds good! I'll take mine "tea, Earl Grey, hot"! Coffee

They just don't make good shows like they used to in spite of the cheese factor.

(08-08-2019, 09:07 PM)bonjour Wrote: OK Arthur,
 set EPR = 3 
Pressure = 9

This will maintain your EPAP at 6 and you should see a difference in Flow Limitations.

Why are you in CPAP mode? Why are you not using Auto mode?

Thanks Bonjour. I'll give the adjustments a shot and hopefully see if the Flow Limitations change. I'm in CPAP mode based on the in-lab titration study which determined the optimum pressure to be 7. I tried APAP and the machine spent the majority of the time between 6 & 7 even with an upper limit of 10-12, so I just moved it back to CPAP fixed at 7. My plan once I'm comfortable with my new mask I'll move it to APAP again and see what the results are.

(08-08-2019, 11:33 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: Congrats on getting back onto treatment!!!!!!!

Your story is nice to hear - after 49 days of persevering, you are experiencing good symptom relief. That's so great!!!

I don't have expertise to add, besides: find a mask that you like, and that'll be the one that keeps you on the treatment!

Thanks Hydrangea. It's been a long journey, and was truly hoping that the surgery would fix my issues. I think I am happier now with this round of CPAP because of the support that I get from my Doctor, this forum,as well as being able to see some data with myAir and full data with OSCAR. I feel like I am more educated thanks to lurking on the forum and increasing my knowledge thanks to the good folks here. Something my wife always says is that you have to be your own advocate for medical care, because you know more about your body than anyone else; and the way to be your best advocate is to increase your knowledge.

Thanks everyone.
Captain Steubing
My Personal Blog
Post Reply Post Reply
OK tea it is. Hope the suggestions from bonjour will help you out soon.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2019, 12:32 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: OK tea it is. Hope the suggestions from bonjour will help you out soon.

Thank you kind sir! You are a gentleman and a scholar.
Captain Steubing
My Personal Blog
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi captainsteuving,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy this time around.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2019, 03:20 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi captainsteuving,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy this time around.

Thank you trish6hundred. Much appreciate the welcome and goodness.
Captain Steubing
My Personal Blog
Post Reply Post Reply
Yay! I can't believe I'm excited about a CPAP mask.  Huh

I'm happy that my AirFit P30i just arrived, and it feels quite comfortably just quickly trying it on. Will find out how well it goes overnight. Hopefully it was worth it with the extra overseas shipping costs and customs duties. It ended up costing about the same as if I had bought directly from my local DME (if they actually stocked it). Supplier #33 was very efficient, ordered on Tuesday afternoon and the package traveled 2200 miles as the crow flies, arriving here today (although I did have to visit the DHL office in person to pick up since they're closed on weekends). 

Appreciate the existence of Apnea Board and the courteous welcome & support I've received.
Captain Steubing
My Personal Blog
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 139 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 160 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 180 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.