Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Introduction - Newly Diagnosed with Sleep Apnea
Introduction - Newly Diagnosed with Sleep Apnea
Hey guys, just wanted to introduce myself. I was recently diagnosed with severe sleep apnea (18 episodes/hour). In a way, I'm actually glad that I've finally been diagnosed with this. Over the past few years I've been slowly becoming more and more fatigued on a daily basis, and my quality of life has significantly decreased. I have to force myself to even do recreational activities, and trying to get back on the wagon in terms of weight loss has been incredibly difficult. 

I just ordered an APAP machine, a ResMed AirStart 10 which should be delivered tomorrow. I'm excited to start treatment, even though I know it will take me a few weeks to get used to wearing my new Darth Vader mask while trying to sleep. What's the general time frame for starting to feel better after starting treatment?

Also, as a side note, I joined another forum and the first thing that happened was a barrage of posts essentially making me feel stupid for buying the machine that I did. So, just an FYI, I do plan on buying a machine with all the bells and whistles for recording data, etc. once I get my next bonus. But for now this seemed like a good machine to get me started, and a good backup machine when needed.

Also, any suggestions for a good machine in the $1000-1100 range (or less, of course) with the data recording features that will make adjusting my therapy easier would be welcome.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Introduction - Newly Diagnosed with Sleep Apnea
Welcome to the forum. If you hurry, there is a new Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset for sale on Amazon for $695.

I think you should get good treatment from the Airstart Auto, it just isn't going to be one you can fully optimize. If you paid more for it than that unit on Amazon though, I'd consider turning the package around and getting a refund. Do a search for AIRSENSE 10 AUTOSET 37207 (BLACK)

And regardless of what machine you choose, you are welcome here, and we look forward to helping you make the adjustment to be one of the well aerated, well rested members of the Apneaboard. Smile
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Aboard

Welcome I-love-Apnea-Board

You have found the right place to start your quest for that perfect night of sleep. The folks in the forum are here to help you on your way. Pleas use the search feature in the forum to look for answers to you questions. There are many threads in the forum that will help you understand the struggles, pitfalls, and benefits of positive airway pressure therapy/

Remember there are no stupid questions here....so feel free to stat a new thread on any subject you would like to explore. The folks in the forum will engage to help you.

May the hose be with you
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got the AirStart 10 from <Link to Supplier #1 removed> for $385, so it was cheap enough that I was happy to buy it with the knowledge that it would soon be relegated to backup use. Wink

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum insignia100!

Here is a link that will help with machine choices and which ones to avoid.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

There is also a supplier list at the top of page, where you can compare prices.  If you are self funding and cost is an issue, look at Supplier #2 as they sell low hour used machines and also open box new.

Let us know if and when you need help.   Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Money isn't really that big of an issue -- I'm lucky enough to make a good living and can afford to buy just about any machine available. However, from a budgeting standpoint, now wasn't a great time to splurge on an expensive machine. Luckily I get quarterly bonuses that I can use to upgrade in a few months. Smile

Now here's a question -- is the only difference between the ResMed S9 Autoset and the ResMed S9 Autoset for Her the color? Because <link to Supplier #1 removed> had a sale on the Autoset for Her, but being VERY new to these machines I wasn't sure if there was any significant difference. Even though I'm a guy, I'm not above using a pink machine if it saves me some cash. Wink

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
The ResMed 10 series is newer and has an auto set version.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2017, 10:42 PM)insignia100 Wrote: Now here's a question -- is the only difference between the ResMed S9 Autoset and the ResMed S9 Autoset for Her the color? Because Supplier #1 had a sale on the Autoset for Her, but being VERY new to these machines I wasn't sure if there was any significant difference. Even though I'm a guy, I'm not above using a pink machine if it saves me some cash. Wink

I'm not sure of the S9, which is an excellent machine, but the in the newer version the "for Her" has an additional setting which delivers a "softer" response.  Many men do use it.  The regular version has all the same features except that one.  

and welcome to some of the best pap help in the world.

Fred

I just published a MaskPrimer in the Wiki here, you should read it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, the S9 For Her was just colour.  The S10 For Her has actual different treatment algorithms.
Post Reply Post Reply
Newer versions of the air sense 10 autoset also have the "soft" mode, not just the for her model. My autoset which was manufactured on 9/22/16 had it! As long as you get a late 2016 model, there really is no difference with the exception of the fancy graphics.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 22 375 1 hour ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 238 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 59 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 352 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 292 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.