Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Introduction - Newly Diagnosed with Sleep Apnea
RE: Introduction - Newly Diagnosed with Sleep Apnea
(03-09-2017, 10:42 PM)insignia100 Wrote: Even though I'm a guy, I'm not above using a pink machine if it saves me some cash. Wink

You might want to check craigslist for a used S9 rather than buy a new one. The newer A10 has been around awhile so there should be a decent supply of used S9's in a city the size of Tuscon. Just make sure you know how to check the number of blower hours. Often you can find a like-new machine with just few hours on the blower motor. I did. I actually found two from the same seller, offered to sell the spare at cost to a few friends, and when they declined I sold it on craigslist for a profit.

I've since upgraded to a A10 but I keep the S9 as a spare. I also have a PRS1 as a spare, mostly because it runs on a 12-volt battery and if I sold it I couldn't get much more than what a battery adapter would cost for the S9/A10 as they run on 24 volts.

Yes, I'm over the top on back up machines. I still follow the Boy Scout motto: Be Prepared.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2017, 01:57 AM)chill Wrote: Yes, the S9 For Her was just colour.  The S10 For Her has actual different treatment algorithms.

The S9 Autoset for Her actually has the same different treatment options for her that the A10 has.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi insignia100,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Got my APAP machine today, now to figure out how to start my therapy. The prescribed starting pressure based on my at home sleep study was 11 cm/H2O. Since my machine is an automatic model, my thoughts are to set the max pressure to something like 13-14 cm/H2O, but the question is where should I set the low end?
Post Reply Post Reply
I would do a range of 9 to 14 and figure out where you like EPR the best. That is a tight bracket and you could even drop the minimum to 8.0. It uses the standard Resmed Autoset algorithm, so I think it should catch up to any events pretty quickly. Good luck and have a good sleep.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give those settings a try for the first few weeks and see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, my first night on the machine actually worked out really well. I think I lucked out with the mask that I chose -- I had zero mask-related comfort issues, nor any headaches from the straps. All in all, I slept pretty well last night, only waking up twice to go to the bathroom (and the first time I got up I had just been dozing for a bit rather than waking up from deep sleep).

I had no issues at all getting accustomed to the pressure, and I actually think I'm going to disable the ramp feature. I found that when I laid back down and started the machine back up, it felt a bit stuffy at the lower pressures. I actually reduced the ramp time to 5 minutes late last night for that reason.

Today I feel pretty good. Obviously I'm not going to see any significant improvements after my first night, but I've certainly felt a lot worse waking up in the morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can set the ramp starting level higher - say about 6 cm or pressure - to see if that is more comfortable, too.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey,

I started CPAP therapy in 2015 after being diagnosed with severe sleep apnea (over 70 episodes per hour).  I noticed an improvement the night of the sleep study and then I had to wait a few days for the machine and noticed an improvement right away.  In your case with mild to moderate apnea you may not see as significant as a change that night but I think you'll feel that you have more energy in a couple of weeks at least or maybe sooner.

I recently bought a ResMed Airsense 10 which tracks the number of apneas (and other events) per hour and sends information wirelessly to an app that measures your progress and tracks everything from mask leak and usage to apneas.  I was torn between that and the Dreamstation.  I had read that they are similar except the Airsense has supposedly better mask fit and leak data.  I've been using it for about a month and I like it a lot.  It has a nice auto on feature that automatically turns on and off when you put mask on or take it off.

Scott
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, you all will be happy to know that I broke down and went ahead and ordered the Airsense 10 for its advanced data capabilities. The auto on feature scootdooley mentioned is what sold me -- I'm already tired of having to stop the machine to take off the mask when I get up to go to the bathroom.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 228 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 25 717 04-09-2024, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Schernenk
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 124 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Need help with RERAs in sleep apnea shedu1337 8 292 04-03-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: shedu1337
  Heart Failure with Sleep Apnea kwhenrykerr 2 204 04-02-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 384 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 113 03-27-2024, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.