Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Introduction- and Journey
RE: Introduction- and Journey
Sleeprider- Thanks- I am just a little stressed and paranoid, and I will be lucky if I get 6 hours tonight (probably less). However I should be able to get a good 7-8 at the hotel as long as we don't roll in too late. I will say hi to the Mouse!

3rdMarDiv- you pose some interesting questions. To answer them, I had a skin staph infection in a cut I sustained clearing out a weedy area on my property (this was in 2013). Spiked a 104 fever, and wound up in hospital for IV vancomycin (ugh, that stuff burns) for a few days. Six months after that I ended up with sparky. I had always had some of the heart rhythm issues all my life, and my cardiologist just before this infection said eventually I would need a pacemaker "in my late 40's or 50's". He never could/would directly say, but he did say after that encounter my condition changed quickly. That leads me to believe either the infection itself or the antibiotics to treat it worsened a condition I already had. I have no structural issues with my heart, just electrical issues. I don't fully accept anything that is told me at word, but I am not going to go down rabbit holes either searching the internet for clues etc. I just accept where I am at, and what I have to do to be as well as I can be. What my Cardio told me seems very plausible, and since I gained sparky that condition has been incredibly stable. I generally go by how I feel, and advocate for feeling the best I can. I hope that answers your inquiry.

Be Well Everyone.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am very thankful for my ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset with a ClimateLine heated air tube.  

This APAP machine has been a life changer for me.  Moreover, my wife is as happy as I am since all of this affects her, too.  We forget often to mention Sleep Apnea affects the whole family.  But I didn't start out on an APAP.

I used to snore so loud that I could be heard by my daughter in her bedroom with everyone's doors closed.

In my sleep test they used a chin strap and nasal mask.  No snoring with that setup.  In getting my CPAP machine, I was given a full face ResMed AirFit F20.  No snoring with that since everything was pressurized.   Later I was upgraded to a ResMed AirTouch F20.  Same good results of no snoring since everything is pressurized. 

I am very happy.

I should mention this all didn't happen overnight.  My sleep test was June 21st, 2018, my CPAP was given to me July 26, 2018.  This all happened in Michigan.  I saw a CPAP/APAP tech in Lexington, KY September 20th, 2019 and have been using an APAP since that September 20th, 2019 date.

The APAP has given me tremendous results since it auto ranges throughout the night to the correct pressure.
The low pressure is at 10 and the high is at 17.  My AHI's are below 5 and 5 or below is considered normal.
Post Reply Post Reply
Consider power protection for your new machine.  I would be sad if my nice ResMed AutoSense 10 Autoset burned-up due to power surges  or power snaps.  It is a matter of replacement cost, the hassle of getting another machine, and the time you will be without your machine.

I have both a surge suppressor (the more joules rating the better- mine is close to 3,000) and  time out protection.
The time out protection protects against repeated power snaps in a short order since it times out for a number of minutes until things settle down.  In my case, there is a 3 to 4 minute wait for the power to return.

Most people do not think about protecting a CPAP/APAP.  Your APAP machine is a small computer regulating a blower.

See the thread of:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...Protection
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet.

I love my machine.  I started with CPAP and then switched.  The results have been so much better.

I make sure I use the #36857 hypoallergenic filters by ResMed and for two reasons.

1. Good for me to have the extra filtering.
2. Good for the machine to have the extra filtering for keeping the insides clean.

Change monthly, even if they look clean.  You don't know what germs or viruses might be lurking there.

I have tried some of the generic hypoallergenic filters and came back to the ResMed brand.  They seem better (a bit meatier and chunkier). 

Also, ResMed says do not allow ozone into the internals of your machine.  Your warranty will be voided.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Ozone-Machine
      Scroll through since there are links posted to others and ResMed on their warranty.  Motor noise caused by 
      ozone will not be covered by the warranty.
Post Reply Post Reply
By the way, the following things are available for a ResMed AutoSense 10 Autoset:

HumidAir Heated Cleanable Tub - part 37300 - can take the heat of the dishwasher up to 149F/65C in the upper rack on the gentle cycle. 

ResMed AirSense travel power converter (cigarette lighter plug and clips for battery- uses @ 12 or 24 volt source) - part 37297 Wonderful when the spouse drives or going camping. I use the below side cover (replaces the humidifier tub for traveling) so I don't have to have water sloshing around. By the way, putting in the side cover automatically turns off the humidifier functions. You don't have to be fiddling with settings.

AirSense 10 CPAP Side Cover for traveling when not using the above humidifier tub - part 37303

Hypoallergenic Filters for the APAP - 12 pack - part 36857 - consistently the best

ResMed AirSense 10 Air Filter Cover - part 19729 for charcoal color - You probably will need this sometime in the future. The filter hinge pins are easy to break. Open carefully!!! No sudden snaps. This is what broke mine. 19768 for light grey.

ResMed AirSense 10 Climate Line Air tubing - part 37296

Replacement power pack for APAP - part 37344

Replacement power cord for above power pack - part 33938

UPG Battery UB12350 at 35 amp hours for emergencies and camping (works with the travel power converter) - Item D5722 from UPG Battery - using this battery means turning off the heated humidifier and the heated Climate Line air tube for four nights of use. I also have a small digital 6 amp charger for this - 6 amps takes longer, but the SLA or sealed lead acid battery lasts longer having a slower charge rate.

Should you ever go with a full face mask.  The AirTouch F20 has a soft foam lining for touching the face.
The AirFit F20 is almost the same without the foam lining.

AirTouch F20 Full Face Mask - Medium - full headgear, cushion and elbow - part 63001
AirTouch F20 Medium Cushion replacement - part 63029
RemZzzs Medium mask liner - K2-FM - lifesaver if you are having leak problems or have sensitive skin. These go between the mask and skin.

[b]Pad A Cheek Neck and Cheek covering[/b] - part 110-NECKO--00 - keeps the lower straps from touching my cheeks and neck - wonderful.  Have had for a year and a half and still using.  This is wash and wear.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2020, 07:13 PM)melodyknit0375 Wrote: 3rdMarDiv- you pose some interesting questions.  To answer them, I had a skin staph infection in a cut I sustained clearing out a weedy area on my property (this was in 2013).  Spiked a 104 fever, and wound up in hospital for IV vancomycin (ugh, that stuff burns) for a few days.   Six months after that I ended up with sparky.  I had always had some of the heart rhythm issues all my life, and my cardiologist just before this infection said eventually I would need a pacemaker "in my late 40's or 50's".  He never could/would directly say, but he did say after that encounter my condition changed quickly.  That leads me to believe either the infection itself or the antibiotics to treat it worsened a condition I already had. I have no structural issues with my heart, just electrical issues.   I don't fully accept anything that is told me at word, but I am not going to go down rabbit holes either searching the internet for clues etc.  I just accept where I am at, and what I have to do to be as well as I can be.  What my Cardio told me seems very plausible, and since I gained sparky that condition has been incredibly stable.  I generally go by how I feel, and advocate for feeling the best I can.  I hope that answers your inquiry.

Be Well Everyone.

Scary times...! Yea, you were in deep. Funny how something seemingly small at the time turns into a near death experience. Like I always tell people, you don't have to worry about anything in life, because the worse things will come in out of left field and be totally unexpected.

What you said peaked my interest as I had recently read something about antibiotics and then your post came up. A couple years ago I survived a bacterial pneumonia lung infection and was saved by massive amounts of antibiotics over a period of 6 days. After all that was over and I lived, my pulmonary doctor advised me that I had sever apnea for years and that I needed to get on CPAP therapy ASAP. He said my very low blood oxygen levels made everything worse. I never thought to look into the antibiotics used or the possible after effects, which, I will be doing.

As far as CPAP goes don't waste your time with other forums, this is where you want to be.

Thanks
My worst night on CPAP is 10X better than my best night without it  Eat-popcorn 
Good night Chesty, wherever you are..Semper Fi
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Happy Apnea Board people.  Successfully back from Florida except for the sinus infection I brought back with it.  I don't think my musty room from the leaky room fridge helped my situation, but I am now in the full fledges of this URI and well that was interesting getting sick while in Florida with the cpap.  The night that stands out is the last night we were in the hotel (Saturday 2/15), I got so congested, I couldn't breathe and ended up not wearing the mask half the night.  Sunday (2/16) was an overnight on a bus so no machine (and really maybe 3 hours of a light doze).  

Yesterday when we arrived home, I luckily made an appointment with my primary while driving through TN, and got the antibiotics I needed to hopefully kick this thing quickly.  I then got home and fully washed out and wiped out my machine with vinegar, changed the filter (I highly suspect there were at least mold spores in my hotel room) and really let everything air dry this morning.  I also picked up that P30i mask cushion before I left for FL, and used that instead of my N30i, but had a lot of leaks (I am assuming coughing and mouth breathing).  Today I feel okay, tired and cruddy since well, I have the crud.

I have searched the forum for advice, and being honest a vinegar bath is not really possible for me every day while I am sick, but I can commit to doing it this weekend when hopefully I am over the worst of it.  I thought it was important to do it when I returned just to mitigate the potential mold factor. 

Is there anything else I should do while I work through this? I don't have easy access to a full-face mask, at least not right away. Would upping my lower pressure help? It seems like my pressure got higher last night a couple of times.  Charts for Saturday (2/15) and last night attached for reference.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry about the URI, and I hope it resolves fully and quickly. Your flow limitations are a little more prevalent in these recent charts, probably due to the URI, and they are driving the pressure up. You are doing so well in general with your current settings that I would say hold off on changes for now and see how everything looks when you are back to normal. But I would defer to an expert.

Your cleaning post-hotel sounds good. The only other thing I can think of is to slosh some soapy water around in your short and long hoses and then rinse them, whenever you have the chance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dormeo- you are most certainly right about the settings. I did like it overall at 8 min pressure, but one night it got a little much at the start so I backed off to 7, maybe I'll go back to 8.

I do wash my cushion every morning with soap, but I am at least unplugging my hose and letting it air dry every day right now (not the best I know, but its better than nothing). I plan on using the p30i cushion again tonight, as it felt like it blasted the junk out better for me with the air direct to the nostrils than the nasal at the hotel. NyQuil is also helping to quell my cough at the moment. I plan to do a full deep clean on Saturday/Sunday when I am hopefully over the worst of this.
Post Reply Post Reply
So now mask question time. 

I’m mostly recovered from my crud (still have a tiny bit of cough), but more frequently when I use the N30i mask I’ve been taking it off in the middle of the night (not aware of doing so). Last night I only got about 5 hours of treatment because of this (and I noticed a difference today).  I struggle at times with severe nighttime stuffiness even when not fighting crud. It gets worse as things start to bloom, as they will here soon.  Due to my other conditions I cannot take decongestants.  

I did pick up the P30i pillow and I am trying to see if there is a difference in keeping my mask on with it. I used it a couple of times when I was still sick with the crud, and it was able to blast through the congestion some. I am wondering if that would be better for me long term?

Things I do know I like after my first month of treatment:

1. I really like tube on the top styles, I get tangled otherwise. 

2. I don’t believe I have any large issues with mouth leaks. 

So I guess my questions are thus:

1. Is the F30i mask compatible with the N30i frame and the P30i frame, and would it be worth to pick one up to have “on hand”?

2. Might I have better luck with the Dreamwear nasal? I think part of my issue right now is when I roll to my side the hard plastic part of the N30i is possibly getting dislodged. 

3. Do I try to get it through my DME or just buy one on my own?

4. Any other masks I should give a look? 

Even through all of this my AHI’s have generally been under 1, with only one night during the worst of my crud that landed at a 1.2. What concerns me more is I want to keep my mask on, as I now really know the difference between when I do and don’t wear it. 

What are all of your thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Starting my journey to better sleep - guidance appreciated StuffyNoseDude 1 82 2 hours ago
Last Post: StuffyNoseDude
  [Pressure] TiredButNotCranky's CPAP journey TiredButNotCranky 6 151 Today, 09:40 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,626 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 5 1,003 03-19-2024, 03:39 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,418 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  Dr. Steven Park details his UARS journey gainerfull 3 667 12-18-2023, 12:01 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  Twobigwheels - CPAP Therapy Journey Twobigwheels 34 1,338 11-27-2023, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.